PDA

View Full Version : Do I chance wrecking a Benchmade knife?

Inor
10-15-2019, 10:46 PM
About 3 1/2 years ago Mrs Inor bought me a really nice Benchmade knife for my birthday. It is by far the finest knife I have ever owned. She must have paid close to $200 for it. Everything about it is perfect except the edge.

The edge is one of those double-ground edges. The primary angle is about 25° but the secondary angle is about 35°. It holds an edge extremely well and chops like a SOB. But it is not a good slicing knife.

I have been thinking about re-angling it for a few months. I have been thinking of trying a 30° angle first and if it still does not slice well, drop it back to a full 25°. But on such a quality knife, I am wondering if I should take the chance of wrecking it

I do have a high quality sharpening system (the Apex Pro).

What do ya'll think? (I am NOT asking this on the green site because I do not need Tourist lecturing me about steel and knives and blah blah blah.)

Innkeeper
10-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Benchmade knives have a lifetime warranty so if something goes bad just explain to them how you have been using it so much you have had to sharpen it so much it looks like that.
I love my benchmade, it wasn't a gift of Love like yours, it was issued to me on my first tour overseas but I would hate to lose it. My clip loosened from use and snagging on the vehicle so much I have to use the belt sheath. But I do need to send it in to be fixed, but I digress.
These choices are hard to make and we can't ever give you the answer, but you will find the right one. Enjoy your nice blade.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

shootbrownelk
10-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Some Buck knives have a lifetime sharpening warranty. I have a fixed blade buck with a gut hook that I bought years ago. I've used it on a couple/3 elk. I should check. Maybe it's time to dig up the box and send it back in for sharpening. It was razor sharp when I got it. I haven't used it in years though, not since I got a Gerber Big Game and a Havalon with the exchangeable blades.....I'm lazy now that I passed 70.

Deebo
10-16-2019, 01:48 PM
WHAT???
Please don't even mention a knife on the green site, you will be told that knives are better than guns, and that you gotta have 7 million grit slury from Okinawa...
Inor, my friend, sharpen that bad boy up at 30 and let er rip..
I absolutely know NOTHING about knife degree edges...By the way.

hawgrider
10-16-2019, 03:05 PM
What... A knife that won't slice? You bet I'd change the angle. Just keep the blade cool while grinding so you don't change the tempur of the steel.

Infidel
10-16-2019, 04:04 PM
I sharpen all my knives on an old Lansky system and at the same 20 deg. angle (that's what the hole is labeled, but it's actually 20 deg per side I believe). I have never had any trouble getting my knives shaving sharp using that angle and the edge holds up well enough for me. Even my Benchmade 943 gets razor sharp and stays that way for a long time. No idea what the original grind was but it's 20 deg per side now. I don't get hung up on what degree of angle to sharpen at, I'm more concerned about the quality of the steel in the blade especially in an EDC knife.

-Infidel

1skrewsloose
11-03-2019, 05:19 PM
I think your approach is spot on. Take some off, no good, take a little more off. If it's not working for you something needs to be done so it's to your liking.