PDA

View Full Version : 100 Men will test today, but only 3.....

OSFG
10-22-2019, 09:47 AM
On Saturday, 19 Oct 2019, My Best friend deployed for the last time.

I met him after my 2nd tour to Afghanistan, A gangly kids with a wife and two boys of his own, about the age of my 2nd and 3rd sons.

His wife and mine had become best friends during my second tour and when I got home she said, "Come and meet your new Best Friend".

He was everything I wasn't. Thin, dark complected, Ghetto. Wearing a torn Auburn cap, shorts, white socks and flip flops, member of the 82nd Airborne.

After a few weeks home I told him, "If we're gonna be friends...You're gonna have to think about joining SF."

It was more a joke at the time, but to my surprise he did. two years later after my 4th Tour to Afghanistan and just as I was retiring, he made it through the last part of training. SERE school.

I ditched a job interview to be there on his last day in SERE school, because I knew how emotional it is and how seeing a friend would help him readjust to his new found freedom from the Prison Camp he had been in. I showed up in my suit and Tie, because I was driving to my interview when I decided to ditch it.

He turned around to see our flag, and hear our Anthem, and saluted...bawling his eyes out as we all had done. Then they were Liberated and I was there to hug him and give him a candy bar. He was a filthy wreck and ruined my suit with his grubby hug. But I didn't give a shit. My "Lil" Brother had become a Green Beret.

I retired and moved out into Fayetteville, and during his 1st tour to Afghanistan, I helped his wife buy a house in our Neighborhood. He came home a different person. Injured in an IED blast, I could tell he felt guilty because he was driving and believed he "should have" seen the scuff marks where the bomb was that injured him and his team mates.

My happy go lucky Best Friend was now a lot more like me and had become "Bent". He drank more, laughed less, and became withdrawn. He deployed to Pakistan and then again to Afghanistan. I was on my 3rd Trip as a civilian to Afghanistan and surprised him with a visit in Kandahar. He was headed out the gate to do a combat patrol when he saw me and stopped his team to get out and hug me.

He got into a heavy firefight on that patrol, but made it back that night, and I came back to share a "Non General Order number 1" beverage with him. Months later he had to endure a Court Marshal and reduction from E-7 to E-6 for drinking, then they sent him to a different firebase where he hit another IED and days later busted him from E-6 to E-5, then finally he was diagnosed with severe PTSD and Traumatic brain injury (from the first IED).

3rd Group wanted him gone and was gonna just chapter him out of the military. I convinced him to fight them and two years later he received a Medical retirement with 90% disability, but it cost him his marriage. He moved away and that was the last time I saw my Best friend in person. He eventually married his high school sweetheart and had another child and we reconnected.

He would call me on the bad days, and I would talk him through the rough times and let him know he wasn't alone. He called me on Oct 7th and we video chatted for two hours. He was afraid he had irrevocably damaged liver with his drinking, and feared he would lose the love of his life due to his issues. He broke down crying, telling me how he was afraid of dying and missing out on seeing his little boy grow up.

Well I began to describe the symptoms he was feeling. Dry heaving until his diaphragm felt like it was destroyed. Gagging up bile so acidic it burned the esophagus. Liver swollen and feeling like it was going to explode. and having so much alcohol residual in your liver that every time you drank water you would get drunk again. He said to me, "My god, I'm not alone....You know about this too."

I assured my best friend that, although I can't say how much we had hurt ourselves already, that if he started drinking water and eating good food, in as few days he would feel much better and to "Please" go see a Counsellor and get back on the PTSD medicine, as it has helped me greatly, although I still have my episodes they are much fewer and further between.

He said he would, and I told him, "Brother, you can't fear death. It is always right around the corner and that its the easy part. Living is harder". I told him worry about what decisions you make, not about things you can't control, because you can die just walking down the street."

I texted him a couple days later to check on him and he replied, "I'm feeling like a rock star now".

Saturday morning I got a text that My Best friend had died. He was struck by a car while walking down the side of the road. I only hope that he faced death without fear.

I rode my bike 650 miles that day. 12 hours total, of listening to the engine and thinking of my Best friend. I will ride every year on the weekend around the 19th of Oct to remember him and his service. I do not know if I was his best friend, but I do know he was mine. Probably my last Best Friend, because I just don't have the energy to make another one. It took 5 years to make him into mine, and I only got to enjoy him for 10 more years.

I regret telling him to join SF, because I believe I started him on a path that not only irreparably damaged me, but also destroyed the gangly, happy go lucky kid I'd met years before. However he told me he loved being a Green Beret, and I won't take from him that which he earned himself and wore proudly.

God Keep you Mackie.... See you when I get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjkeXKPQOI

Mister Mills
10-22-2019, 01:22 PM
I regret telling him to join SF, because I believe I started him on a path that not only irreparably damaged me, but also destroyed the gangly, happy go lucky kid I'd met years before. However he told me he loved being a Green Beret, and I won't take from him that which he earned himself and wore proudly.

You did the right thing by telling him to go SF, and sometimes things go to Hell, and there ain't nothing that can stop it.

Deebo
10-22-2019, 01:48 PM
GODBLESS that man.
May your best friend Rest In Peace.

Slippy
10-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Dear Lord,

Look over Mackie as well as our friend OSFG. In Jesus' name, I pray.

Amen.

(War Eagle Mackie!)

Big Ken
10-22-2019, 04:23 PM
R.I.P. believe me when I tell you it takes a lot to tear me up and I really can't remember the last time.

juskom95
10-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Proof that family isn't blood.

A Watchman
10-22-2019, 10:09 PM
May God bless the men that keep us all safe, at a great personal sacrifice. I am forever grateful.

Baglady
10-22-2019, 11:54 PM
So sorry for your loss, and his. We all have regrets we will take to our graves. That said, I don't think this should be one of yours. Without your friendship and council, he may not have had another 10 yrs. He was proud to be a part of an elite group of men and I'm sure he had more good memories with them, and you, than he would have had without.
His son will always have that part of his father to be proud of as well.
You may not feel you can forge another long term friendship, and believe me I do understand that, but I hope you will in some way help that kid in the years ahead, to learn who his father was. A hero. A friend.

Inor
10-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Prayers upward bound.

Innkeeper
10-23-2019, 08:28 AM
My prayers go out to you and your brother as well as his family. The losses I understand and sympathize but you can't take this to heart it is not your fault, we all make choices good or bad, and the lord helps us to learn and grow from all of them.
I hate seeing any leave this world to young but I know all of us who have been in the military know you can't choose the time when you leave, we just have to trust in the lord and spend everything we can with those we love.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OSFG
10-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for your heartfelt prayers and words. Have no doubt that this ain't about me. I ain't playing any pity party songs on my account. I felt the guilt before and when he assured me that he would do it all over again, I let those feelings go. I don't live in the past and I survive.

Sadly he always had a backwards glance and it haunted him more than most. I will be going to honor him this weekend at Ft. Rucker, Al. near where he lived.

"Mackie"

Inor, if you still have that coin I gave you. Know that it was one of two coins Mackie gave to me from his team. It was the only one I was carrying when I met you, so I gave it to you to remember me by. Now you can remember us both with it.

Inor
10-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Thank you all for your heartfelt prayers and words. Have no doubt that this ain't about me. I ain't playing any pity party songs on my account. I felt the guilt before and when he assured me that he would do it all over again, I let those feelings go. I don't live in the past and I survive.

Sadly he always had a backwards glance and it haunted him more than most. I will be going to honor him this weekend at Ft. Rucker, Al. near where he lived.

"Mackie"

Inor, if you still have that coin I gave you. Know that it was one of two coins Mackie gave to me from his team. It was the only one I was carrying when I met you, so I gave it to you to remember me by. Now you can remember us both with it.

I still have the coin. I used to carry it with me always as kind of a talisman. Unfortunately, the TSA kept having problems with me carrying it on airplanes and threatened to take it away. So now it sits in a place of honor in our home. (Have I ever mentioned that I REALLY HATE the TSA?)

Ricekila
10-23-2019, 12:58 PM
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Stuff/9-Sept-2_zpsdhrwdu1n.jpg

Coastie dad
10-23-2019, 04:59 PM
A short life lived well outweighs a long life of disappointment and regret.

It sounds like he made you proud, and you gave him the gift of his lifetime.

OSFG
12-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Well another one opts out. Nate, who we all called "Duke" killed himself yesterday. He was the "Bravo" on the team...which means weapons expert. He and I had many issues, unresolved, but I loved him like a little brother. He was the cause of most of my frustration on the team because he was the impulsive, devil may care one. He did shit that got people hurt and I started to really hate him for it. Later I left the team and he became a sergeant major....I retired and he fought his own battles of PTSD.....Funny thing.... The last time I saw him I had brought Mackie, my friend and one of Nates guys, to him to talk about PTSD and helping Mackie. I remember leaving that night night mad as hell that Nate was taking it too lightly....being a damn staff guy, when I needed a leader to help deal with Mackie's issues....

Now Mackie killed himself on Oct 19th.....Nate killed himself on Dec 15th..... and I sit here and wonder which is worse.having PTSD and no way forward...or having PTSD and having people with it your responsible for....

Well.... life claims another. Never worry about me...... when you hear that a lone gunman has begun to kill Extremist Muslim groups, antifa leaders, and communist billionaires....then you might want to ask ...."hey? whats old SF up to these days"....

MountainGirl
12-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Prayers for you, friend.
I have no wise words, just prayers and love.
Take care.

Dwight55
12-16-2019, 04:58 PM
....then you might want to ask ...."hey? whats old SF up to these days"....

You are up to being used to help others, . . . myself included.

PTSD comes in many forms, . . . and I truly believe that the worst form of it is an 8 x 10 rear view mirror, . . . and a peep hole windshield.

It took a while to get me to adjust from that attitude, . . . to the peep hole rear view mirror, . . . and a 20 x 40 windshield. Life is so much better this way.

Many things I would like to have a "do over" for in my past, . . . words, actions, deeds, attitudes, . . . among others, . . . but that is not allowed. Can't fix the past, . . . but I can fix the future.

And I had to swallow a couple of times reading your last couple of posts, . . . as I ministered at the funeral of one of those "best friends" a few days ago, . . . and we'll have his interment this coming Friday in Dayton, Ohio. Were I not in the "group" I was in during the funeral, . . . it would have been much harder, . . . we all helped each other thru it.

Being a pastor, . . . my windshield sees him in the far distance now, . . . waving me on, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight