PDA

View Full Version : A Soldier's story

Dwight55
11-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Sometimes the battle is not with the sword or the gun.

And those battles are worse.

https://youtu.be/NKBUwEdKCzs

May God bless,
Dwight

OSFG
11-20-2019, 04:51 PM
As some of you know my best friend killed himself on 19 Oct. Often the toughest battles are the hidden ones in our daily lives...with our parents, with our family, or with ourselves. Each day I try to remember him and remember that he quit and nothing is ever so lost or beyond hope as we are today, in the sight of God, and then I remember that it is not for ourselves that we are to wake, eat, and move through life...It is for whatever God has in store for us, and how sorry we are if we do not face that next day...climb that steep hill, wade through that muck...or simply get up and see what God has in store for us. how shamefully selfish we are to do that.

Inor
11-20-2019, 10:54 PM
As some of you know my best friend killed himself on 19 Oct. Often the toughest battles are the hidden ones in our daily lives...with our parents, with our family, or with ourselves. Each day I try to remember him and remember that he quit and nothing is ever so lost or beyond hope as we are today, in the sight of God, and then I remember that it is not for ourselves that we are to wake, eat, and move through life...It is for whatever God has in store for us, and how sorry we are if we do not face that next day...climb that steep hill, wade through that muck...or simply get up and see what God has in store for us. how shamefully selfish we are to do that.

I will not speak ill of the dead. (Well, some dead I will, but not this dead.)

I have never even been close to war. I do not know what demons took root inside your buddy's mind and soul. But I do KNOW with all my heart, that it was some kind of demon because a guy does not fight through all the crap you guys went through just to come home and do himself in. No! Your friend did not "give up"; he was murdered by something as evil as if he was shot to death by a muslim. Just because you cannot SEE the evil, does not mean it does not exist.

I am not smart enough to describe it in words, but I KNOW it from my balls to my bones that it is 110% true. I am almost positive Pastor Dwight is the guy smart enough to add perspective. Hopefully he will chime back in.

OSFG
11-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Inor...I accept your words and know that the are honest sincere, and true. I was not there and do not know if he tripped, fell, passed out or chose to lay in the road. I only know I wish I could have been there walking beside him to make him laugh it off and get back to the fight at hand. The main point is that we get so focused on the little issues we forget whats really important and sometimes folks just have to drop that bag of bricks their carrying around and walk on. Cause someone has said they will bear our burdens that we cannot bear ourselves.

Dwight55
11-22-2019, 06:36 AM
Deuteronomy 31:8 And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Those were the encouraging words given to Israel by Moses shortly before he died.

Those words still ring true for all who believe in Him, . . . and who trust Him.

BUT, . . . we are all like little children, walking in a dangerous road, . . . with only His hand to hold on to. Sometimes we lose our grasp, . . . we trip, . . . and we fall. And sometimes, . . . we do not want to get up. It is easier laying there in the mud, . . . than to get up and walk on.

Yesterday, . . . 11/21, . . . about 9:30 PM, . . . I got a call that a good friend, . . . one who was my paperboy 60 years ago or so, . . . had passed on. His killer was pancreatic cancer, diabetes, and a few other associated maladies.

A few months ago, . . . he and I had the discussion about his new Sig 1911, . . . and how it would be quicker than waiting around, . . . I don't know if I was the one who talked him out of it, . . . but someone who was close enough to him . . . was successful in preventing him from his stated intention.

That is what it takes.

Sadly, . . . the circle of loved ones gets smaller as we age, . . . death makes em fewer, . . . travel does the same thing, . . . finances, sickness, disability, etc. . . . also plays a part in cutting down the number in each of our circles.

All we can do is try to pick up the slack and be there when we can. Just a few words, . . . a short prayer, . . . an act of kindness, . . . can make all the difference in the world to them.

Tuesday, . . . I called John, . . . told him I was coming but would stop at the house for a baloney sandwich. He asked how I ate mine, . . . when I told him, . . . he said he wanted me to bring him one. I did, . . . and I'm so glad I took the time to go to the deli, . . . get the baloney, . . . a fresh loaf of bread, . . . and took it to him.

Another friend always came on Tuesday, . . . brought John a large Wendy's chocolate frosty, . . . another kept the fridge stocked with mint chocolate chip ice cream.

One of us, . . . or all of us, . . . helped him make life worth living, . . . until God said it was time. THAT is what friends and family are for.

May God bless,
Dwight