PDA

View Full Version : What's On The Table for Christmas?

Slippy
12-25-2019, 07:33 AM
Lets see some Christmas food and traditional recipes from you knuckleheads!

A few years ago, we stopped preparing a traditional Christmas feast that usually was a Ham, Turkey or Chicken with all the fixins much like a Thanksgiving meal. And we started fixing a big ole mess of Lasagna!

We had both sons and daughter in law over this past weekend and celebrated an early Christmas together by eating Lasagna, dispatching some freedom seeds and enjoying a nice little fire at the pit!

Everyone is gone and its just me and Mrs Slippy on Christmas Day. We decided to go with Steaks and Asparagus for our Christmas day supper. I chose a big ole New York Strip and Mrs S went with a Ribeye. Grilled Asparagus with Mushrooms and Onions sauteed in butter and Worcestershire Sauce on the side.

What say you?

Broncosfan
12-25-2019, 08:34 AM
We decide to do a second take on Thanksgiving this year since Mom isn't doing well. Bourbon smoked ham, smoked turkey breast, dressing , mashed potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce and homemade bread. Desert is cherry, pumpkin or coconut cream pie.

Big Ken
12-25-2019, 09:02 AM
We decided to break away from the norm, my dad past away Nov 22 this year and the Christmas spirit is weak here, we're
having spaghetti with chicken and eggplant parmesan, salads, bread with pies.

Inor
12-25-2019, 09:38 AM
I am smoking a standing rib roast this afternoon. Mrs Inor is making her famous cheesy potatoes. We made Lefse a couple days ago. As for the rest of the menu, I have no idea. We invited a few townies over that had nowhere else to go for Christmas, so whatever they bring is what we are eating. (I sure hope nobody brings anything with arugula or kale!)

hawgrider
12-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Left overs today. Honey baked ham and a 1000 sides yesterday.

Prepared One
12-25-2019, 09:54 AM
We are keeping it easy this year. Doing a simple spiraled ham in the oven with potato salad. Wife has been doing radiation therapy for 2 months and it's kicking her ass, not to mention burning the crap out of her. So, everything is low key and easy.

Not bad actually, I am tired of this commercialized Christmas crap being forced down your throat. Running from store to store with your hair on fire spending money like the government because if you don't you somehow don't love your family. Bull shit.

We kept the spending to a minimum this year, small tree and little fanfare. I am having coffee, listening to jazz while she cooks a quick breakfast. Then we will open the few presents. Done.

My Dad will pop over later to eat and I am going to get some work done outside and pull a few guns from the safe for the range tomorrow. I will have the greatest Chistmas movie of all time on the TV in the garage (Die Hard) and then follow that up with "Lethal Weapon", another Christmas movie.

Have a Merry Christmas guys and gals.

Ahhhh Merry Chistmas

Innkeeper
12-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Just finished watching Die Hard.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Gambit
12-25-2019, 10:09 AM
dinner. prime rib -sweet potatoes - asparagus - popovers
drink. kid friendly sangria/ adult sangria
tonight. pit fire with cigar with one of the 3 flatboat bourbon hint brown sugar or bandy or jack and honey
im very simple tonight

Slippy
12-25-2019, 11:33 AM
...my dad past away Nov 22 this year and the Christmas spirit is weak here...

Sorry for your loss Big Ken
Lord lift up Big Ken and his people and ease his heart that his dad is living in glorious peace!

...Wife has been doing radiation therapy for 2 months and it's kicking her ass, not to mention burning the crap out of her. So, everything is low key and easy.

Ahhhh Merry Chistmas

Dang it Prepared One, didn't know about your Wife and her radiation therapy, prayers for sure!

Lord, ease the burn and pain in Mrs Prepared One during her treatments!

And finally Thank You Lord for giving us the most precious important gift ever, your Son and our Savior Jesus Christ, and teach us to understand your will with our Faith! Amen...

(Now pass some vittles you knuckleheads!)

Prepared One
12-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Lord lift up Big Ken and his people and ease his heart that his dad is living in glorious peace!

Dang it Prepared One, didn't know about your Wife and her radiation therapy, prayers for sure!

And finally Thank You Lord for giving us the most precious important gift ever, your Son and our Savior Jesus Christ, and teach us to understand your will with our Faith! Amen...

Thank you my friend. We are on the downside of it and according to the smart ass doctors, should have it beat. My wife is independent, tough, and fierce. I'll bet on her against anything thrown her way.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Now, get in that kitchen and eat!

Inor
12-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Thank you my friend. We are on the downside of it and according to the smart ass doctors, should have it beat. My wife is independent, tough, and fierce. I'll bet on her against anything thrown her way.

Thank God for our wives. We would all be up Shit Creek without them.

Prayers upward bound for yours.

Big Ken
12-25-2019, 12:45 PM

Thank You

A Watchman
12-25-2019, 12:52 PM
We are keeping it easy this year. Doing a simple spiraled ham in the oven with potato salad. Wife has been doing radiation therapy for 2 months and it's kicking her ass, not to mention burning the crap out of her. So, everything is low key and easy.

Not bad actually, I am tired of this commercialized Christmas crap being forced down your throat. Running from store to store with your hair on fire spending money like the government because if you don't you somehow don't love your family. Bull shit.

We kept the spending to a minimum this year, small tree and little fanfare. I am having coffee, listening to jazz while she cooks a quick breakfast. Then we will open the few presents. Done.

My Dad will pop over later to eat and I am going to get some work done outside and pull a few guns from the safe for the range tomorrow. I will have the greatest Chistmas movie of all time on the TV in the garage (Die Hard) and then follow that up with "Lethal Weapon", another Christmas movie.

Have a Merry Christmas guys and gals.

Ahhhh Merry Chistmas

Hey neighbor to the south, I stand praying for your wife and her treatments as she copes with recovery and her loss of energy. When you turn on the man flicks to watch, don't forget Reindeer Games.

A Watchman
12-25-2019, 12:55 PM
Oh yea .... back to the table. My wife insists on her dressing and green bean casserole. I pitched in a smoked ham. The kids appreciate the abundance of food and camp out for a few days. When they ditch us and stop coming by for the holidays I am changing the program.

RubberDuck
12-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Didn't take many pics before demolishing it but we had fried chicken backed mac with chopped grill porkchops in it and corn bread casserole baked in cast. With a spinach artichoke stuffed biscuit https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191225/e1646a89cc28b16431f8b82f4bcf5ed8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191225/0e8b2c77b8d124aed899241dc828e1eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broncosfan
12-25-2019, 06:50 PM
We decide to do a second take on Thanksgiving this year since Mom isn't doing well. Bourbon smoked ham, smoked turkey breast, dressing , mashed potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce and homemade bread. Desert is cherry, pumpkin or coconut cream pie.

I have to admit the ham just wasn't worth the trouble this time. It seems they must have over salted it when they cured it. A wasted $50. Looked good but just too salty for my taste. Anyway I decided to practice making a cherry pie from fresh sour cherries I froze ove rthe summer. The filling was perfect so much better than the can filling you can buy. Now I just need to practice on the pie crust.

Sparkyprep
12-25-2019, 06:59 PM
My brother went all out this year. Fried turkey, baked ham, AND a medium-rare roast beef. Tons of sides. I did the appetizers, including stuffed shrimp, and hot spinach and artichoke dip with Romano cheese.

Sasquatch
12-26-2019, 01:07 AM
Last night with Hot Nursey's family we did Chili with cornbread.

Today my Mom went crazy (more so than usual) and made three different meats- Turkey, Ham and Prime Rib. All delicious. Sides were mashed taters, stuffing, fried okra and my world famous spicy green bean casserole.

Slippy
12-26-2019, 04:36 AM
Last night with Hot Nursey's family we did Chili with cornbread.

Today my Mom went crazy (more so than usual) and made three different meats- Turkey, Ham and Prime Rib. All delicious. Sides were mashed taters, stuffing, fried okra and my world famous spicy green bean casserole.

Recipe please for the Spicy Green Bean Casserole! :hungry:

Dwight55
12-26-2019, 07:30 AM
With the ambient being in the high 50's, . . . got out the deep fryer, . . . tied them turkey legs together right good, . . .

350 Deg F, . . . later, . . . slipped him in and carefully watched him for the next 35 minutes, . . .

Pulled him out, . . . onto a pan, . . . into the kitchen, . . . let him set for about 10 minutes, . . . he basically fell apart, . . . but still very moist inside.

Added some baked sweet potatoes, . . . among other things, . . .

Finished it off with one of my mother's apple pie recipes in her favorite pie pan.

May God bless,
Dwight

Prepared One
12-26-2019, 07:39 AM
Thank God for our wives. We would all be up Shit Creek without them.

Prayers upward bound for yours.

Thank you Inor.

I shudder to think where I would be had I not met mine some 25 years ago.

Prepared One
12-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Hey neighbor to the south, I stand praying for your wife and her treatments as she copes with recovery and her loss of energy. When you turn on the man flicks to watch, don't forget Reindeer Games.

Thank you neighbor to the north. Damn! I forgot all about Reindeer Games! :thumb:

Prepared One
12-26-2019, 07:49 AM
We decided to break away from the norm, my dad past away Nov 22 this year and the Christmas spirit is weak here, we're

Meant to send this out to yesterday but got sidetracked. (I spend a lot of time on the side tracks here lately) I am sorry for your loss Ken. Time is your friend when it comes to loosing a loved one. Hang tough.

Baglady
12-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Good to hear she's beating the cancer. Sorry to hear she's going thru that. Makes a huge difference having someone by your side.

Baglady
12-26-2019, 03:10 PM

So sorry to hear that. Is your Mom with you?

Baglady
12-26-2019, 03:21 PM
For the last few yrs it's been Turkey and the usual.
It used to always be our tradition to make Corned Beef, cabbage, taters, etc.
But now I'd have to buy 3 of them in order to have enough.

Some of the meals you guys have done sound soooo amazing!!
Maybe next year will be Lasagna...

Big Ken
12-26-2019, 03:32 PM
So sorry to hear that. Is your Mom with you?

Thank You, No she passed in 1996.

Sasquatch
12-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Recipe please for the Spicy Green Bean Casserole! :hungry:

Regular Green Bean Casserole + chopped up jalapenos. Sometimes it's just that simple.

TJC44
12-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Maybe next year will be Lasagna...

See you next year! :chef::maninlove::cookie: