PDA

View Full Version : Roasting coffee beans in a cast iron pan.

hawgrider
12-31-2019, 06:34 PM
Inor has been telling me forever to roast our own beans so we took a stab at it.

https://i.imgur.com/L0CkBju.jpg

Did 2 batches kinda a light medium on the top took about 11 minutes and the dark into the second crack on the bottom took about 13 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/8sY340s.jpg

Just had a cup and it looks like we are hooked! Thanks inor for another damn job to add to my list Lol!

hawgrider
12-31-2019, 07:35 PM
Oh ... these were green Ethiopian Yirgacheffa beans. Pretty tasty so far. They say the best flavor develops after 24 to 48 hours for the beans to develop full flavor.

We ground this first batch after it cooled and it was real good so to wait 24 hours or more? I'll know better after tomorrow mornings brew if that's true and if its worth waiting for.

Inor
12-31-2019, 11:28 PM
Oh ... these were green Ethiopian Yirgacheffa beans. Pretty tasty so far. They say the best flavor develops after 24 to 48 hours for the beans to develop full flavor.

We ground this first batch after it cooled and it was real good so to wait 24 hours or more? I'll know better after tomorrow mornings brew if that's true and if its worth waiting for.

Mostly what we have experienced is the beans are best 12-24 hours after roasting. They are still really damn good after that, but by about a week past roasting, they are not too different from store bought.

I.E. We roast in about 1/2 pound increments. That seems to be about the best for our consumption and not having to do it every day.

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Mostly what we have experienced is the beans are best 12-24 hours after roasting. They are still really damn good after that, but by about a week past roasting, they are not too different from store bought.

I.E. We roast in about 1/2 pound increments. That seems to be about the best for our consumption and not having to do it every day.

Can't remember... do you roast in a cast pan or do you do the oven method?

Slippy
01-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Not a big coffee drinker but I will try this. I bet the kitchen smells pretty dang good during the roast?

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Holy smokes got a whooper of a caffeine buzz from the light colored batch.:shocked:

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Not a big coffee drinker but I will try this. I bet the kitchen smells pretty dang good during the roast?

It didn't get as smokey as I thought it would but yeah house smells good for a few hours.

Inor
01-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Can't remember... do you roast in a cast pan or do you do the oven method?

We use a cast iron pan and a baker's whisk, just like you did. The only other thing I have is two screen colanders that I pour the beans into for shaking off the chaff when we are done roasting.

Inor
01-01-2020, 09:24 AM
It didn't get as smokey as I thought it would but yeah house smells good for a few hours.

If you didn't set off the fire alarms, you did not roast a big enough batch. :biglaugh:

Prepared One
01-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Lord knows I love my coffee. I will have to give this a try, although, I don't see it as a regular part of my routine. I am to damn lazy to do it every week. We usually have a pot of coffee going all day.

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 09:53 AM
If you didn't set off the fire alarms, you did not roast a big enough batch. :biglaugh:

Had the batteries out:flamer:

Inor
01-01-2020, 10:54 AM
One that you might want to try...

Get some el-cheapo South America beans. It does not matter if they are Columbian, Brazilian, whatever. Just get the cheapest South America beans you can find. (Africa beans don't work well with this one.)

Then, just roast the shit out of them. Go well past the second crack. Roast them until the oils inside the beans start coming out and making them shiny. Then roast them some more. Roast them until the oils start to caramelize on the outside. Then just dump them onto a tray and let them sit for 12 hours.

The coffee they make is naturally really sweet. I would not want them for a regular diet, but about once per month I do those and they are really good for a change of pace.

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the cheap bean tip I can see the hunt for green beans is on. I still have those sites you buy from bookmarked somewhere round here.

Doing a bigger batch tonight I want more smoke!!!! We going for dark dark dark this time. Hopefully I don't scorch it too bad.

Inor
01-01-2020, 12:51 PM
The mail-order beans from Costco are not too bad either.

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Did the rest of the bag. Hit the second crack oils are coming out this time.

https://i.imgur.com/YBMRdYU.jpg

TJC44
01-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Gonna be up all night tonight, too?

hawgrider
01-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Gonna be up all night tonight, too?

Nope drinking sterno thru a sock right now. :party:

TJC44
01-01-2020, 07:41 PM
Nope drinking sterno thru a sock right now. :party:

As my daughter would say....
"EWWWW!"

Mister Mills
01-02-2020, 12:03 PM
It looks great, and I will bet that Starbucks could not touch it for its flavor.

hawgrider
01-02-2020, 12:16 PM
It looks great, and I will bet that Starbucks could not touch it for its flavor.

The oils were increased from sitting overnight. Made a pot this morning it turned out perfect. Robust and still has a buzz.

This was a fun project I expect to be doing this often.

Inor
01-02-2020, 01:59 PM
The oils were increased from sitting overnight. Made a pot this morning it turned out perfect. Robust and still has a buzz.

This was a fun project I expect to be doing this often.

I hate to say "I told ya so"... :biglaugh:

hawgrider
01-02-2020, 03:28 PM
I hate to say "I told ya so"... :biglaugh:

Yeah this is going to become another bad habit lol!

Second crack is the way to go. We tend to lean towards the dark oily beans so this is what we were looking for.