PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

Prepared One
12-23-2014, 05:17 AM
I went out yesterday and upgraded my small safe. Thing weighs a ton. Going to bolt it to the floor today or tomorrow. I am using it mainly for important papers, SS cards, spare pistol and ammo, and extra cash. Looking at gun safes as well because my invontory, both ammo and weapons, is increasing.

DerBiermeister
12-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Looking at gun safes as well because my invontory, both ammo and weapons, is increasing.

Gun safes are deceiving. Most look a lot more secure than they actually are. There are plenty of youtube videos out there on how easy it is for perps to break into a gun safe. Can actually be done so fast it'll make your head swim.

However, it is probably safe to say that at least 90% of would-be burglars, would not know how, or take the time to break open a gun safe.

Anyway, if you want a gun safe that is somewhat secure and also with a good fire rating -- plan on spending at least a thousand bucks. The better made ones will be up in the $3000-$5000 range.

Slippy
12-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Good luck on your search for gun safes. Against the common drugged out criminal, most safes are excellent protection but most "can" be penetrated by the true Professional Thief.

I prefer multiple smaller to medium sized safes scattered throughout our home and outbuilding bolted to walls, floor and even have handgun safes bolted behind pieces of furniture. Since we keep multiple firearms loaded and convenient, the small handgun safes are helpful when company comes over, we just go around the house and place the loaded weapons in the small handgun safes and lock most down. We rarely have young children over and most people who visit are adult gun savvy friends and family.

Plus a safe is a good protection in case of fire.

Jeep
12-23-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm jealous Slippy

Prepared One
12-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Gun safes are deceiving. Most look a lot more secure than they actually are. There are plenty of youtube videos out there on how easy it is for perps to break into a gun safe. Can actually be done so fast it'll make your head swim.

However, it is probably safe to say that at least 90% of would-be burglars, would not know how, or take the time to break open a gun safe.

Anyway, if you want a gun safe that is somewhat secure and also with a good fire rating -- plan on spending at least a thousand bucks. The better made ones will be up in the $3000-$5000 range.

Thanks Beer man. I was planning on about 2 or so. I know if they want in they can do it. However, like you say, 90% won't take the time or won't know how. The house is alarmed and I had a security guy come in and upgrade the locks and go to a wireless call out alarm instead of the old dial out, so if he hasn't figured out how to disarm the alarm he won't have much time. Appreciate it.

Infidel
12-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Buy a good name safe, not all warranties are created equally. Make sure the warranty covers freight on the safe should you have an issue. Most reputable companies will warranty their safes against attempted break in or fire damage. Fire ratings can be deceiving too so look at them closely, their is no standard for fire rating. Some manufacturers will rate their safes at 1200 degrees some at 1400 degrees. Even within a given manufacturer's product line there are discrepancies in fire ratings. 45 minutes at 1200 deg. or 30 minutes at 1400 deg., it can be very confusing. Balance it with your proximity to the closest fire station and how long you expect to have to wait for the fire dept to show up.

Theft and fire were secondary concerns when I bought my safe. My primary concern was keeping small fingers off my guns.

-Infidel