PDA

View Full Version : Never leave the country!

Inor
02-14-2020, 11:19 AM
As most of you know (ad nauseum), I have spent the last 2 weeks in Canada. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to leave behind the ignorance that is the French language!

When I called home last night to say goodnight to Mrs Inor, she informed me that she bought 2 donkeys yesterday. Why I need (or want) 2 donkeys is still a mystery to me. But next Friday, Rosa and Juliette will be joining us at M.T. Acres. I am not sure what we are going to do with them. You cannot eat them. I guess we could ride them, but from what everybody tells me, donkeys are EXTREMELY uncomfortable to ride. So that is a non-starter. I could build a cart for them to pull, but that's why I bought a tractor.

So, do any of you have any idea what I can use them for?

Mister Mills
02-14-2020, 11:28 AM
As most of you know (ad nauseum), I have spent the last 2 weeks in Canada. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to leave behind the ignorance that is the French language!

When I called home last night to say goodnight to Mrs Inor, she informed me that she bought 2 donkeys yesterday. Why I need (or want) 2 donkeys is still a mystery to me. But next Friday, Rosa and Juliette will be joining us at M.T. Acres. I am not sure what we are going to do with them. You cannot eat them. I guess we could ride them, but from what everybody tells me, donkeys are EXTREMELY uncomfortable to ride. So that is a non-starter. I could build a cart for them to pull, but that's why I bought a tractor.

No.
And it was an immense pleasure to say that, I just love being helpful.

KnuteFartne
02-14-2020, 11:28 AM
If we do ever get hit by an EMP or CMA those beasts of burden will be your new tractor.

Other than that I hear they will kill both rattlesnakes and yotes. So win/win for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Slippy
02-14-2020, 11:32 AM
This is awesome news!

Donkeys will kick the shit out of coyotes and stomp rattlesnakes.

Now that you have donkeys, get you some goats.

Inor
02-14-2020, 11:36 AM
now that you have donkeys, get you some goats.

shut up!!! Just shut the hell up right now!!!

hawgrider
02-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Well.... It just so happens donkey are extremely protective of the barn yard and they may actually kill any predators that may try to take out you MOTH or the dogs. They may even be able to protect from snakes but Im not 100 positive on the snake protection but from other predators yes.

There is a shit ton of info on this out there here is a snippet-

Donkeys are naturally aggressive to canines and this behavior will extend itself to their pasture mates. Donkeys are not purposefully protective of stock but are either reacting to a threat in their territory or behaving as a maternal jenny. Donkeys make acceptable guardians of sheep, goats and calves. Often the sheep or goats come to see the larger donkey as protective and will gather near it if they perceive a threat. Donkeys can protect against a single fox, coyote, roaming dog and possibly a bobcat.

Donkeys who do attack a predator will be very aggressive, using their teeth and hooves. They may bray loudly. They will charge the threat and attempt to chase it away. If they confront the predator, they will attempt to bite at the neck, back, chest or buttocks. They may slash out with their hooves or turn and kick the predator. Experienced owners strongly suggest you do not attempt to stop a donkey that is charging or attacking and that afterwards, you allow the donkey to calm down before approaching it.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/guard-donkey-zbcz1310

hawgrider
02-14-2020, 11:39 AM

hahahaha!

Baglady
02-14-2020, 11:50 AM

Most folks use them for predator control with their cows and horses, against coyotes, Bobcats, etc. They generally do not tolerate dogs, and will chase and attack them. Our Mules were no different. So, given that you have 4 legged family members, I don't know what you will do with them either.

Innkeeper
02-14-2020, 11:59 AM
Have you thought of renaming them AOC and Nancy?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TJC44
02-14-2020, 02:30 PM

Sheep, pigs, chickens.......

"Old McInor had a farm,
E, I, E, I, O!"

Deebo
02-14-2020, 04:14 PM
The Donkey Show? WTF Inor..

Big Ken
02-14-2020, 05:44 PM
At least they're a quite critter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkSaKTfk0R4

Inor
02-15-2020, 12:42 AM
The Donkey Show? WTF Inor..

No, those are all about 40 miles south of us... Damn!

Edit: These two are chick donkeys anyway. And HELL NO! Not THAT kind of donkey show either!

Dwight55
02-15-2020, 06:28 AM
Well, . . . I hear they DO NOT taste like chicken, . . .

AND, . . . with an appropriate saddle, . . . they should suffice for nothing over a 15 mile ride in a day. That being of course a Sabbath day's journey, . . . and return.

Somewhere down in that kind of country, . . . guys like Gene Autry and Roy Rogers . . . were riding their steeds with their guitars, . . . serenading the country side (Back in the saddle again), . . . and making big bucks.

Go for it.............

May God bless,
Dwight

Innkeeper
02-15-2020, 07:12 AM
No, those are all about 40 miles south of us... Damn!

Edit: These two are chick donkeys anyway. And HELL NO! Not THAT kind of donkey show either!Like I said Nancy and Alexandra are good names for them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

red442joe
02-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Sheep, pigs, chickens.......

"Old McInor had a farm,
E, I, E, I, O!"

Shit, now I got that stuck in my head.
"Old McInor had a farm E I E I O!"

Joe

hawgrider
02-15-2020, 12:01 PM

Joe

Kind of a catchy tune eh!

TJC44
02-15-2020, 02:17 PM

Joe

:biglaugh:
My work here is done!

rstanek
02-15-2020, 03:42 PM
I had a donkey when I was a kid, his name was doodad......we were buddies.......

Inor
02-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Well, . . . I hear they DO NOT taste like chicken, . . .

AND, . . . with an appropriate saddle, . . . they should suffice for nothing over a 15 mile ride in a day. That being of course a Sabbath day's journey, . . . and return.

Somewhere down in that kind of country, . . . guys like Gene Autry and Roy Rogers . . . were riding their steeds with their guitars, . . . serenading the country side (Back in the saddle again), . . . and making big bucks.

Go for it.............

May God bless,
Dwight

Yeah... And Mrs Inor and I will be riding donkeys with our ukuleles making minimum wage (if lucky).

The donkeys showed up today.

These are two Jennys. (Female donkeys. I guess male donkeys are called Jacks. Why they cannot call them stallions and mares like horses is beyond me, but this whole donkey thing is going to be a learning experience for me.)

The little one is named Rosa and the big one is Juliette. They came with those names, but at least Rosa knows her name so we are not going to confuse them by renaming them. The pups have been barking at them constantly since they arrived, but the donkeys seem to tolerate it. When the pups go into the catch pen and try to chase them, the donkeys fight back (aggressively). That is good. We put the steer out in the pasture for a few days to let the donkeys just adjust a bit in the catch pen. But we are thinking of turning them loose in the steer pasture on Sunday if all goes well.

They are wild donkeys. We bought them from the BLM. The BLM claims they are halter broke, but that is complete B as in B, S as in S. They are not broke at all. But they do seem to be at least as smart as dogs, so that is a plus. After a lot of moving slow around the catch pen and a lot of treats, they were at least willing to come up to us this evening and they even rubbed their heads on us.

I still do not know why we need them, but they are sweet girls.

Deebo
02-22-2020, 12:10 AM
HEY JACKASS
He ah, he ah , he always calls me that.

StratBastard
02-22-2020, 12:40 AM

I think you should load them up and go panning for gold for a coupla weeks. Then do it again. Worked out for Walter Huston. She'll get rid of 'em.

Sasquatch
02-22-2020, 01:52 AM
This is awesome news!

Donkeys will kick the shit out of coyotes and stomp rattlesnakes.

Nah. Go big (or mini) or go home. I'm going to send this article to Mrs. Inor.

https://awesomejelly.com/yes-you-can-own-a-fluffy-mini-cow-and-they-make-awesome-pets/

If you have deep love for cows but don’t own a barn, large field or a farm, well, you can opt to own a mini cow. That’s right, you can own a mini pet cow!