PDA

View Full Version : Help me ride my mower

Sasquatch
03-04-2020, 09:32 PM
I inherited a riding lawn mower with the new house. Only problem is it won't go vroom vroom. I turn of the ignition and I get nothing. No click, no buzz, nothing. I bought a new battery thinking it might be that but no, still nothing.

I pretty good with normal vehicle maintenance but not great at troubleshooting something like this. My first thought is an ignition wire is lose. Any thoughts?

Broncosfan
03-04-2020, 09:34 PM
I inherited a riding lawn mower with the new house. Only problem is it won't go vroom vroom. I turn of the ignition and I get nothing. No click, no buzz, nothing. I bought a new battery thinking it might be that but no, still nothing.

I pretty good with normal vehicle maintenance but not great at troubleshooting something like this. My first thought is an ignition wire is lose. Any thoughts?

try the solenoid if its an older mover you can check it by crossing a screwdriver a crossed the posted and see if it tries to start

Back Pack Hack
03-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Might be a safety switch somewhere. Under the seat is a common one. Are the blades disengaged?

Inor
03-04-2020, 10:09 PM

It's a snowflake mower! You feed it. You maintain it. You pay for insurance on it. But it cannot be expected to do anything for you! My best advice is: pour gas all over it and set it on fire!!! And then scream BERNIE SUCKS!! BERNIE SUCKS!!! BERNIE SUCKS!!! at it as long as you can until it explodes. Then bring the marshmallows.

It may not mow your grass, but it will sure be a fun time!

Dwight55
03-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Without pictures, . . . it didn't happen.

May God bless,
Dwight

Slippy
03-05-2020, 07:20 AM

Build a bunch of raised beds and plant a huge vegetable garden in your lawn. Leave a small amount of lawn grass to mow to appease your wife since she owns the va-gina. Buy a battery powered push mower to mow the small amount of lawn grass that you have left.

I know a guy who knows a guy who did this...:kickinballs:

hawgrider
03-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Might be a safety switch somewhere. Under the seat is a common one. Are the blades disengaged?

Also a reverse safety switch these days.

hawgrider
03-05-2020, 07:25 AM
try the solenoid if its an older mover you can check it by crossing a screwdriver a crossed the posted and see if it tries to start

Also a firm blow with a BFH to the starter motor may free up a stuck starter solenoid.

Get a 12 volt test light to help see where the juice is and isn't.

Deebo
03-05-2020, 09:42 AM
If its a craftsman or similar, they have a fuse, a seat safety switch, a clutch safety switch, wont start if the blades are "engaged" all kinds off stuff, that can usually be defeated, buy jumping the solenoid, and a good hot battery.
I am getting pretty good at messing with them, I purchased my sixth one last night, for 50 bucks, the extra seat and good set of tires he threw in were worth the 50...
Get me picture, look under the hood for a blown fuse, and well go from there.
There is also a 50 cent diode that pops, and wont allow the battery to charge up while its running...

OSFG
03-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Also a reverse safety switch these days.

and a blade engaged cut off. Best thing I can recommend is take your batter connect jumper cable to ground and then positive to starter. If it turns over then its purely a wiring issue where there is bad ignition switch, clutch engagement switch, etc. Use a simple voltmeter and continuity check to then trouble shoot until you find it.

KnuteFartne
03-06-2020, 08:48 AM
and a blade engaged cut off. Best thing I can recommend is take your batter connect jumper cable to ground and then positive to starter. If it turns over then its purely a wiring issue where there is bad ignition switch, clutch engagement switch, etc. Use a simple voltmeter and continuity check to then trouble shoot until you find it.The previous owner told me when the blades and shroud were up the blade would continue to spin, which it's not supposed to. His work around was just turning off the motor and then restarting. The blade wouldn't engage again until it was in the down position. So I'm thinking you maybe onto something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Slippy
03-06-2020, 10:22 AM
The previous owner told me when the blades and shroud were up the blade would continue to spin, which it's not supposed to. His work around was just turning off the motor and then restarting. The blade wouldn't engage again until it was in the down position. So I'm thinking you maybe onto something.

Can we please get a picture of this mower contraption thing-a-ma-jig?

Thanks

KnuteFartne
03-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Can we please get a picture of this mower contraption thing-a-ma-jig?

ThanksAsk and ye shall yada yada yada...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200307/bcb2c3d221b58785393a7adb7e0706e9.jpg

Slippy
03-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Ask and ye shall yada yada yada...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200307/bcb2c3d221b58785393a7adb7e0706e9.jpg

Excellent looking little mower.

If it were me, I'd take the sumbitch apart, cuss and throw a few wrenches, put it back together, wonder what the extra parts are for then trade it in for one that works! :thinking:

TJC44
03-06-2020, 09:04 PM
O.K., dumb question time:

Is there gas in it?

Back Pack Hack
03-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Is there gas in it?

How would an empty tank prevent the starter motor from engaging?

Sasquatch
03-07-2020, 01:56 AM
Excellent looking little mower.

If it were me, I'd take the sumbitch apart, cuss and throw a few wrenches, put it back together, wonder what the extra parts are for then trade it in for one that works! :thinking:

Funny enough there is a little lawn mower repair/service place just down the street. I would like to take it over to them if I can't figure it out but the problem is 1. I'm not sure how to get it there. 2. They aren't open on weekends (which is weird to me). I work during the week and don't get home until about 6p and they are closed.

Is there gas in it?

First thing I checked.

Slippy
03-07-2020, 06:20 AM
Funny enough there is a little lawn mower repair/service place just down the street. I would like to take it over to them if I can't figure it out but the problem is 1. I'm not sure how to get it there. 2. They aren't open on weekends (which is weird to me). I work during the week and don't get home until about 6p and they are closed.

First thing I checked.

OK Sasquatch,

Unwritten rule of New Casa Grande Ranchette Owners like yourself;

Get a Trailer. Learn how to back it up.

Nothing pisses me off more than a dadgum ranch owner who doesn't have a trailer to move things in and out and around his little ranch.

Also, teach your children (and try to teach your wife if you're an idiot like me) to back up the trailer while hitched to your truck. If you can teach a young person to back up a trailer at the same time they are learning to drive, it will be much easier than teaching an old driver how to back up a trailer. Old habits make for shitty trailer operators, what I say!

MountainGirl
03-08-2020, 08:45 PM
OK Sasquatch,

Unwritten rule of New Casa Grande Ranchette Owners like yourself;

Get a Trailer. Learn how to back it up.

Nothing pisses me off more than a dadgum ranch owner who doesn't have a trailer to move things in and out and around his little ranch.

Also, teach your children (and try to teach your wife if you're an idiot like me) to back up the trailer while hitched to your truck. If you can teach a young person to back up a trailer at the same time they are learning to drive, it will be much easier than teaching an old driver how to back up a trailer. Old habits make for shitty trailer operators, what I say!

In a previous life...
Ex-hubby, before he bought his first semi, bought a toy truck & trailer - and sat on the floor for hours playing with it, backing it up, seeing how doing this caused that to happen, etc. Before I hooked a little trailer to my car - I borrowed that little toy. Smartest thing I ever did.

In this life...
Tom taught me to put my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, look in the rear-view mirror, and which ever way I want the trailer to move - move my hands in that direction. It works, but he can back up his own dang boat ffs. LOL

Deebo
03-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Ask and ye shall yada yada yada...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200307/bcb2c3d221b58785393a7adb7e0706e9.jpg

IM by far NOT AN EXPERT, but there is a safety built in, for the blade engagement, and its also just operated by belt tension, the previous owner installed a belt that is too tight, and it is keeping the blades turning. (SHOULD be any easy fix, You don't want the blades engages when driving over gravel or bad ground, so fix that as soon as you fix the starting issue)
I should have asked this IMPORTANT question first "IS it turning over and not starting" or no nothing. If it turns over and tries, yes, its one or more safety switches, and can be tracked, bypassed and then repaired. A million different easy things, You should be able to run through...
Pretty fair looking mower, and the bagging system is great.
Also, look up the free repair and Operator manual, it should have belt sizes.
Keep us in the loop.

KnuteFartne
03-09-2020, 11:34 AM
IM by far NOT AN EXPERT, but there is a safety built in, for the blade engagement, and its also just operated by belt tension, the previous owner installed a belt that is too tight, and it is keeping the blades turning. (SHOULD be any easy fix, You don't want the blades engages when driving over gravel or bad ground, so fix that as soon as you fix the starting issue)
I should have asked this IMPORTANT question first "IS it turning over and not starting" or no nothing. If it turns over and tries, yes, its one or more safety switches, and can be tracked, bypassed and then repaired. A million different easy things, You should be able to run through...
Pretty fair looking mower, and the bagging system is great.
Also, look up the free repair and Operator manual, it should have belt sizes.
Keep us in the loop.Theres no click or anything.

I went to check the solenoid but it is in a spot that is super hard to get my big Squatch hands into. Must be made for little Chinese fellas.

Thanks for the info.

hawgrider
03-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Tractor supply near you? Go get a new cub cadet with 36" deck. It has a real nice cut.

Slippy
03-09-2020, 04:28 PM
Theres no click or anything.

I went to check the solenoid but it is in a spot that is super hard to get my big Squatch hands into. Must be made for little Chinese fellas.

Thanks for the info.

Sasq my boy,

My Son#2 bought a SCAG Zero Turn Mower last fall and is pretty darn pleased with it. I noticed they have some specials going on now. Life is too short to phuck around with equipment that doesn't work. Cut your losses on the old mower and upgrade. You'll thank yourself this summer!

https://www.scag.com/freedomz.html

Deebo
03-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Sasq my boy,

My Son#2 bought a SCAG Zero Turn Mower last fall and is pretty darn pleased with it. I noticed they have some specials going on now. Life is too short to phuck around with equipment that doesn't work. Cut your losses on the old mower and upgrade. You'll thank yourself this summer!

https://www.scag.com/freedomz.html
WAIT, how much grass are you cutting, should have been the first question.
Second, is the battery completely charged.
Third, Grounds are shitty on lawn mowers, scratch the paint and get a good ground.
Fourth Fuses,
Jump starter on solenoid.
I will take it off your hands, and give you 50 bucks, if you want. Then you can pull a slippy and buy a new one.

RubberDuck
03-09-2020, 05:13 PM
It was brought up before but the best way to bypass the seat pressure switch is cut the wires below the seat and twist them together if the switch is bad that will get around it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk