PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Gov. Whitmer suspends Open Meetings Act during coronavirus crisis to allow v

hawgrider
03-19-2020, 09:39 AM
Michigan Gov. Whitmer suspends Open Meetings Act during coronavirus crisis to allow virtual meetings by government bodies

LANSING, MI -- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Wednesday, March 18, issued an executive order allowing public bodies to meet virtually amid the spread of COVID-19.

The order temporarily changes the Michigan Open Meetings Act, https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/03/gov-whitmer-suspends-open-meetings-act-during-coronavirus-crisis-to-allow-virtual-meetings-by-government-bodies.html

Innkeeper
03-19-2020, 09:59 AM
Not sure how I feel about this yet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
03-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Michigan Gov. Whitmer suspends Open Meetings Act during coronavirus crisis to allow virtual meetings by government bodies

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/03/gov-whitmer-suspends-open-meetings-act-during-coronavirus-crisis-to-allow-virtual-meetings-by-government-bodies.html

I read the link. We are being divided between those who are wired up and those who are not. What about the people who show up in public, the folks that might not be able (or choose to) 'meet' via Skype et al?? A big (public included) conference by phone?? Are you freakin kidding me??

Here's how it's supposed to work...per the link..

In order to meet electronically, government bodies must:

Ensure two-way communication for members and the public to hear and address each other.
Provide adequate notice to the public of the meeting.
Post a public meeting notice on their website.
Permit participants to record or broadcast the public meeting.
Allow participants to address the public body during a public comment period.

“The order also temporarily authorizes public bodies, departments, and agencies to use technology to enable remote participation in public comment and hearings, and temporarily excuses school boards from monthly meeting requirements,” the governor’s statement said.

FUBAR, that. And - get used to it. Here it really comes.