PDA

View Full Version : You can run but you cant hide.

MountainGirl
03-28-2020, 09:35 PM
Government Tracking How People Move Around in Coronavirus Pandemic
Goal is to get location data in up to 500 U.S. cities to help plan response

https://www.wsj.com/articles/government-tracking-how-people-move-around-in-coronavirus-pandemic-11585393202

"WASHINGTON—Government officials across the U.S. are using location data from millions of cellphones in a bid to better understand the movements of Americans during the coronavirus pandemic and how they may be affecting the spread of the disease.

The federal government, through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and state and local governments have started to receive analyses about the presence and movement of people in certain areas of geographic interest drawn from cellphone data, people familiar with the matter said. The data comes from the mobile advertising industry rather than cellphone carriers.

The aim is to create a portal for federal, state and local officials that contains geolocation data in what could be as many as 500 cities across the U.S., one of the people said, to help plan the epidemic response.

The data—which is stripped of identifying information like the name of a phone’s owner—could help officials learn how coronavirus is spreading around the country and help blunt its advance. It shows which retail establishments, parks and other public spaces are still drawing crowds that could risk accelerating the transmission of the virus, according to people familiar with the matter. In one such case, researchers found that New Yorkers were congregating in large numbers in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park and handed that information over to local authorities, one person said. Warning notices have been posted at parks in New York City, but they haven’t been closed."

Be sure you leave your phones home.

rstanek
03-29-2020, 06:58 AM
In theory I understand how this could help, BUT, the whole data stripping? I don’t know what I believe about that, just because they say doesn’t mean they do.....let alone, is it legal to do so, invasion of privacy? Do they need a warrant? I smell a bunch of lawsuits coming here....don’t get me wrong, I want this viruses ass kicked just like everyone else, just how many of our civil rights are we going to have to give up and how many will be returned......

BucketBack
03-29-2020, 07:23 AM
I have a de-activated onstar system on my SUV.

They can track me driving on the back trails on my property, or track me walking to my mailbox across the road.

juskom95
03-29-2020, 12:45 PM
This is how we permanently lose our 4th amendment rights. You think this is going to stop after this panic stops?

MountainGirl
03-29-2020, 02:53 PM
This is how we permanently lose our 4th amendment rights. You think this is going to stop after this panic stops?

Not a chance in hell.

juskom95
03-29-2020, 03:23 PM
Not a chance in hell.

It IS going to happen. Once this is allowed, anyone with a phone will be legally traceable for 'public health reasons'

I agree, I would fight it, but it is going to be legal.

MountainGirl
03-29-2020, 04:00 PM
It IS going to happen. Once this is allowed, anyone with a phone will be legally traceable for 'public health reasons'

I agree, I would fight it, but it is going to be legal.

LOL we're on the same page. My reply was in response to your ending question (about it stopping).
I'm saving my battles for something else :)

Slippy
03-29-2020, 05:12 PM
The world done gone crazy and getting crazier!

rstanek
03-29-2020, 05:59 PM
The world done gone crazy and getting crazier!

And it’s just getting started, today’s briefing says social distancing for at least another 30 days, we’ve only been doing this for 14 days, what can possibly go wrong....

MountainGirl
03-29-2020, 06:03 PM
And it’s just getting started, today’s briefing says social distancing for at least another 30 days, we’ve only been doing this for 14 days, what can possibly go wrong....

I'm watching it too, still on youtube. Catch the part where he said hopefully businesses can open up by June 1?

TJC44
03-29-2020, 06:05 PM
I'm watching it too, still on youtube. Catch the part where he said hopefully businesses can open up by June 1?

Mine hasn't closed. Back to work tomorrow.

juskom95
03-29-2020, 07:08 PM
LOL we're on the same page. My reply was in response to your ending question (about it stopping).

I'm probably going to pull down a fake GPS location app tonight/tomorrow. Set my GPS for the same position and let it sit.

Gambit
03-29-2020, 07:24 PM
flashlight? you should get the hand crank ones to save on batteries or they for walker talkies?
people need to know

MountainGirl
03-29-2020, 07:47 PM
flashlight? you should get the hand crank ones to save on batteries or they for walker talkies?
people need to know

You are a delight my sweet friend but you might wanna get your glasses checked. I said Battles. Not Batteries!
And all my needs are naturally met or hand-cranked. There, what do you think of that?

Gambit
03-29-2020, 08:15 PM
You are a delight my sweet friend but you might wanna get your glasses checked. I said Battles. Not Batteries!
And all my needs are naturally met or hand-cranked. There, what do you think of that?

I have dyslexia so I have an excuse ;)
and what do you mean by hand cranked?

MountainGirl
03-29-2020, 08:38 PM
I have dyslexia so I have an excuse ;)
and what do you mean by hand cranked?

I mean like you showed me the other day when I gave you my nice stalkings!
Maybe you could borrow one of Sasquatch's goats and show me again?

Innkeeper
03-30-2020, 12:11 AM
I'm watching it too, still on youtube. Catch the part where he said hopefully businesses can open up by June 1?Yeah we opened back up after being closed for a week, no customers allowed in only online orders being delivered curbside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

juskom95
04-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Thought I would share this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Just read this today - this is how they're going to do it in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/12/uk-app-to-track-coronavirus-spread-to-be-launched

"The UK public will soon be able to find out if they may have been in the vicinity of people unwell with coronavirus via a new contact-tracing app, Matt Hancock, the health secretary, has said.

At No 10’s daily press conference on Sunday, Hancock said the NHS app would allow people to report their symptoms, and then the app would anonymously alert other app users that had been in contact with that person in recent days.

The Guardian reported last week that the app, developed by NHSX (https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/) – the health service’s digital transformation arm – with academic and industry partners, is in the advanced stages of evaluation and is weeks away from being ready to be deployed.

About 60% of the adult population would need to sign up and engage with the app by registering their symptoms or positive test results for it to be effective. Their proximity to other users would be logged, and they would follow advice given in alerts to self-isolate – even in cases where they were not aware of having been in contact with someone infected.

Hancock told the press conference: “Today I wanted to outline the next step: a new NHS app for contact tracing. If you become unwell with the symptoms of coronavirus, you can securely tell this new NHS app and the app will then send an alert anonymously to other app users that you’ve been in significant contact with over the past few days, even before you had symptoms, so that they know and can act accordingly.”

I dont know what is being developed for here in the US but I bet it will be similar; with gov/employers/etc requiring that you download whatever the app will be - 'for the safety of the public'.

This so beyond sucks and I'm not sure which would be worse: Having to enter your health info into the app - or getting an 'anonymous alert' telling you 'someone' you'd been in contact with tested positive and then trying to figure out who the hell it was. This will have us suspicious of everyone...and I'm starting to think that's their plan all along. Divided we fall.

juskom95
04-12-2020, 05:37 PM
I dont know what is being developed for here in the US but I bet it will be similar; with gov/employers/etc requiring that you download whatever the app will be - 'for the safety of the public'.

This so beyond sucks and I'm not sure which would be worse: Having to enter your health info into the app - or getting an 'anonymous alert' telling you 'someone' you'd been in contact with tested positive and then trying to figure out who the hell it was. This will have us suspicious of everyone...and I'm starting to think that's their plan all along. Divided we fall.

Apple and Alphabet(Google) are working to develop this for the US.

Soon we're going to be required to get a 'health,' card or a government tracking app.

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Apple and Alphabet(Google) are working to develop this for the US.

Soon we're going to be required to get a 'health,' card or a government tracking app.

Yeah well they can kiss my ass.

I'll get the card, and download the app, but they cant make me keep either on my person...

And we both know what their next move will be.

juskom95
04-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Yeah well they can kiss my ass.

I'll get the card, and download the app, but they cant make me keep either on my person...

And we both know what their next move will be.I believe it is going to be a requiredf form of I'D after this craziness. We're all going to be facing a choice before long.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 08:36 PM
I believe it is going to be a requiredf form of I'D after this craziness. We're all going to be facing a choice before long.

Agree..and they're extending the time out on the shutdowns... 'they' being govs, talking heads, the Dr experts... they're talking November, now, and even then we all should keep wearing masks & not hugging or shaking hands. It just keeps dribbling out. They're trying to destroy America. I hope Trump finds a way to not let that happen.

TJC44
04-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Agree..and they're extending the time out on the shutdowns... 'they' being govs, talking heads, the Dr experts... they're talking November, now, and even then we all should keep wearing masks & not hugging or shaking hands. It just keeps dribbling out. They're trying to destroy America. I hope Trump finds a way to not let that happen.

November? From where, may I ask?
Guess we'll have to vote by mail.
No worries there, right? Carrie?

juskom95
04-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Agree..and they're extending the time out on the shutdowns... 'they' being govs, talking heads, the Dr experts... they're talking November, now, and even then we all should keep wearing masks & not hugging or shaking hands. It just keeps dribbling out. They're trying to destroy America. I hope Trump finds a way to not let that happen.Our economy won't last until the end of the month and when people get despsrate, they get stupid.

This is like smoking in a pool if gasoline.

Inor
04-12-2020, 09:59 PM
a 'health,' card or a government tracking app.

The mark of the beast?

If I do that whole hermit thing, I am not required to also do the pipe bomb thing am I?

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 10:17 PM
The mark of the beast?

If I do that whole hermit thing, I am not required to also do the pipe bomb thing am I?

Only if you want to. But ya better ask Mrs Inor first (as soon as you figure she's forgotten about the honey in the dishwasher).

Inor
04-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Only if you want to. But ya better ask Mrs Inor first (as soon as you figure she's forgotten about the honey in the dishwasher).

Hey, the honey in the dishwasher worked beautifully. I thought it was just another case of "smart monkey using what's around him." I was actually quite proud of my ingenuity to figure that one out.

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Hey, the honey in the dishwasher worked beautifully. I thought it was just another case of "smart monkey using what's around him." I was actually quite proud of my ingenuity to figure that one out.

You should be proud, indeed!
(And on your knees grateful to God that the jar didn't bust in the dishwasher, lol)

StratBastard
04-12-2020, 11:31 PM

Me too. He's going to do what any rational person can do: try and balance the damage of the virus, with the very real damage to our economy. When he does, it will be rational, reasonable, considered, and necessary to the health and survival of our country. And the press will crucify him for it.

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 11:38 PM
Me too. He's going to do what any rational person can do: try and balance the damage of the virus, with the very real damage to our economy. When he does, it will be rational, reasonable, considered, and necessary to the health and survival of our country. And the press will crucify him for it.

And the Governors will ignore it. Except for a few, TX for example, is already working towards opening up. The Dem Govs want to keep things shut down & keep their power - and it is up to them, on this.

StratBastard
04-13-2020, 12:26 AM
And the Governors will ignore it. Except for a few, TX for example, is already working towards opening up. The Dem Govs want to keep things shut down & keep their power - and it is up to them, on this.

Yep. There's a mess coming. Maybe more than a mess.

juskom95
04-13-2020, 06:00 AM

I have a feeling a lot of businesses are going to ignore the Governors. Even large companies cannot stay closed for this long. I know here in KY the Governor is threatening stores like WalMart and Target if they allow customers to buy/shop for anything except food.

I'll be straight up, the government can suck my member if they want me to install an app on my phone for tracking; I have a box of old GSM phones in a box I can switch over to which don't have GPS on them (still work on our networks).

juskom95
04-13-2020, 07:02 AM
The new system, which is laid out in a series of documents and white papers, would use short-range Bluetooth communications to establish a voluntary contact-tracing network, keeping extensive data on phones that have been in close proximity with each other. Official apps from public health authorities will get access to this data, and users who download them can report if they’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19. The system will also alert people who download them to whether they were in close contact with an infected person.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216484/google-apple-coronavirus-contract-tracing-bluetooth-location-tracking-data-app

So disable Bluetooth when out and about, that is a good idea from a secure perspective regardless.