PDA

View Full Version : Food Preps Running Low

BucketBack
04-08-2020, 03:30 AM
I guess I didn't have as much as I thought.

I've been eating well though. :chef:

I'll make a detailed grocery list for the next store run before I have to open up the MRE's or Mountain House.:bsflag:

juskom95
04-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Eating well versus starvation are a pretty big stretch.

Sure, I can survive a long time on what I have in the house/pantry, but I'm not inclined to do that when I can still go to grocery stores and get take-out.

Dwight55
04-08-2020, 07:14 AM
There is a real good chance I'm going to learn some recipes this summer for red beans and rice on an outdoor cooking fire arrangement.

At least that is the thought pattern I've been thinking about.

May God bless,
Dwight

Big Ken
04-08-2020, 08:17 AM
Just went to Meijer this morning, there at 7am gone by 7:45, all stocked up.

BucketBack
04-08-2020, 08:32 AM
I was up real early this morning

TJC44
04-08-2020, 09:00 AM
I was up real early this morning"Up at 3 to pee"?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Ricekila
04-08-2020, 09:16 AM
In this rat hole apartment I no gots no wear near as much space as we had stored in the house --- but I havent had to touch any of it --- yet --

Sarge7402
04-08-2020, 10:52 AM
We've done well. We can still get to the market (since herr Blackface has deemed them essential), but other than comfort foods (ice cream donuts etc) we've been very fortunate. Course we went into prep mode when the South Koreans first got hit. Did have a bit of trouble finding sticky rice but everything else has been still available.

As for eating beans and rice, we're still working with normal menus

MountainGirl
04-08-2020, 11:04 AM
We're doing okay, still eating on big supply of comfort foods, survival stock still untouched. We do barley & oats rather than beans and rice - but it is what it is and if the day comes that's all there is to go with turkey/deer/fish - it will be delicious! When/if things flip over, I'll make a sourdough starter right away because I know I didn't stock enough yeast. Oh well. :)

juskom95
04-08-2020, 11:15 AM
This has shown some holes in my own preps though, food and other supplies.

I'm far from starving, but I would like to enjoy my food rather that just sustain from it!

BucketBack
04-08-2020, 11:38 AM
I need to quit drinking beer..

I have too much money tied up in returnables that no one will take back.

KnuteFartne
04-08-2020, 11:50 AM

I have too much money tied up in returnables that no one will take back.Buy in bulk. Kegs all the way!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BucketBack
04-08-2020, 12:04 PM
That had come up

Coastie dad
04-08-2020, 12:07 PM

No practice necessary. I can cook 'em anywhere I have a heat source. Beans and rice, or beans and fried taters are standard fare round these parts.

juskom95
04-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Buy in bulk. Kegs all the way!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Make your own?

TJC44
04-08-2020, 05:27 PM

I have too much money tied up in returnables that no one will take back.

I feel your pain.
I also have a stack of glass & aluminum nickels that I can't get rid of. Damn Governor Ned shut down the return machines in all the stores.
But wait! There's more! The state had put SO MUCH EFFORT into passing a law to ban plastic bags in grocery stores. And now the state has put that law on hold so the baggers wouldn't have to contact possibly contaminated REUSABLE bags. So they are going back to the flimsy plastic bags. FUBAR!

Inor
04-08-2020, 09:55 PM
We're doing okay, still eating on big supply of comfort foods, survival stock still untouched. We do barley & oats rather than beans and rice - but it is what it is and if the day comes that's all there is to go with turkey/deer/fish - it will be delicious! When/if things flip over, I'll make a sourdough starter right away because I know I didn't stock enough yeast. Oh well. :)

Other than eating some of the stuff Mrs Inor canned last fall, we really have not hit our preps much. Actually, I do not even consider her canned stuff to be "preps" since that is stuff we eat regularly anyway.

A week or so ago I got a wild hair and wanted Mrs Inor to show me how to make bread. She does all the baking at our house, but I thought it would be a good idea to learn to bake bread in case she dumps me (and to leave the option of dousing her with gasoline on the table in case she gets the idea of misbehaving). I KNOW we have at least one pound of yeast in our preps somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Today, a friend of Mrs Inor texted us to see if there was anything we wanted at grocery store. Mrs Inor told her yeast (not expecting to find any). About an hour later we got a text that she scored us a whole pound for $5!!! WOO HOO!!!

So over the next couple nights, I am going to attempt some Inor bread.

juskom95
04-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Actually, I do not even consider her canned stuff to be "preps" since that is stuff we eat regularly anyway.

Outside of a few MRE's/Survival Meals, I don't consider anything in my pantry a prep; I keep it as part of our regular food rotation. I found it helps to keep things rotated and makes sure we don't "feel," the use of preps.

BucketBack
04-09-2020, 07:55 AM
Most of my can stuff was pulled forward like stores do to make the shelves look full.

Apparently some of Mom's caregivers knew that skill as well.

I think some of it made its way out the door.

juskom95
04-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Most of my can stuff was pulled forward like stores do to make the shelves look full.

Apparently some of Mom's caregivers knew that skill as well.

I think some of it made its way out the door.

My kids/wife figured out that skill also.

BucketBack
04-09-2020, 09:01 AM
I had learned and forgot that skill. When I was 14, it was cans of beer in the fridge .

BucketBack
04-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Food stocks are re-stocked again, besides beer. I put on 10# the month I've been off.

Sparkyprep
04-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Food stocks are re-stocked again, besides beer. I put on 10# the month I've been off.

Very glad to hear it.

BucketBack
04-19-2020, 02:38 PM
wat that I'm getting phat?

There was never an issue though.

I live in Mom's trailer, in the woods.

Slippy
04-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Looking scrumptious! Slippy Approved!

No practice necessary. I can cook 'em anywhere I have a heat source. Beans and rice, or beans and fried taters are standard fare round these parts.

Sparkyprep
04-19-2020, 06:05 PM
wat that I'm getting phat?

There was never an issue though.

I live in Mom's trailer, in the woods.

Glad to hear that you have plenty of food. Some, unprepared types do not.

Back Pack Hack
04-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Just got back from a grocery run....... lots of staples are rather thin. Milk, eggs, butter, pasta, soup. There's some... but not much.

StratBastard
04-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Replenished my bourbon case. I keep thinking our idiot governor will close them.

shootbrownelk
04-19-2020, 06:52 PM
There are supplies slowly coming back. Stores have put limits on paper goods and cleaning supplies to stop the hoarders. Ammo is making a comeback except for 9mm and 22LR. We have to wait it out. I am out of green chilies and hot sauce.

StratBastard
04-19-2020, 07:20 PM
There are supplies slowly coming back. Stores have put limits on paper goods and cleaning supplies to stop the hoarders. Ammo is making a comeback except for 9mm and 22LR. We have to wait it out. I am out of green chilies and hot sauce.

Hey, you made full bird Colonel *salutes*