PDA

View Full Version : COVID Part 2 - The economic mess

TJC44
04-09-2020, 07:55 PM
So now that everyone is preoccupied with social distancing and PPE, part 2 comes along.

1. The stores are already gutted from the panic buying, and the supply chain can't seem to get caught up.
2. The games that the Saudis are playing with the price of oil.
3 The big 3 automakers have shut down, and in some cases retooled to produce medical equipment.
4. #3 creates a wave effect (not a trickle) back up the supply chain. More on that later.
5. The airline industry has also about shut down. No one is flying, no one is building planes, etc.
6. Wave effect from #5, no one is parking at the airport, no one renting cars, no one staying at hotels.
7. Major uptick in unemployment means hell for banks unable to collect debt.
8. Trickle down effect creates panic in companies that supply parts. Warning of reduced earnings, Companies cut their spending, cut capital -
My employer just sent down communication from the top to prepare for a "Category 6 storm" financially - their words, not mine.

The virus was the easy part.

TJC

juskom95
04-09-2020, 08:07 PM
If the economy doesn't start by the end of the month, at the latest, it isn't going to recover. I don't mean just the US either, but the US is probably the strongest/largest economy in the world.

Innkeeper
04-09-2020, 09:19 PM
Oh yes and she changed the occupancy from 5 per 1000 sqft in stores to 4 per 1000 sqft.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
04-09-2020, 10:27 PM
If the economy doesn't start by the end of the month, at the latest, it isn't going to recover. I don't mean just the US either, but the US is probably the strongest/largest economy in the world.

Heard on tinfoil talk radio last night that the *plan* is to take down not only the US economy, but the global as well: Making room for a whole new monetary system, new world order, etc.

With everything going on - it's getting harder to sort out the real from the not.

juskom95
04-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Heard on tinfoil talk radio last night that the *plan* is to take down not only the US economy, but the global as well: Making room for a whole new monetary system, new world order, etc.

With everything going on - it's getting harder to sort out the real from the not.That might be the end result, planned or not.

That or large portions of the populace will say "Screw it," and ignore the governments' rules.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Sasquatch
04-10-2020, 01:10 AM
I've always said, from the beginning, I'm not worried about the virus but I am worried how people will react to it. With that said, when things do open back up we will be playing catch up so a lot of jobs will be filled and there will be money flowing. Don't get me wrong, there will be repercussions from the virus as some businesses couldn't weather the storm and close but I think we will do fairly well at bouncing back. That is as long as this SIP crap doesn't last too long.

BucketBack
04-10-2020, 06:23 AM
The cure may be worse than the virus

TJC44
04-12-2020, 08:44 PM
I am now seeing stories of meat processing plants being shut down for deep cleaning and the employees being found with COVID-19.

Tyson Foods
National Beef Packaging
JBS USA
Smithfield Foods (from another story)
Also remember that most large vegetable farms use migrant labor in their fields. They are unable to travel due to Stay-in-place orders, so they can't report to their usual farms.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/07/828873225/meat-processing-plants-suspend-operations-after-workers-fall-ill?fbclid=IwAR1LRnabxSXOpNmzqy9nGhagQyOE4eKA6lQef SKGvHGuN2dO85lA5Df5y-8

Stay Tuned....

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 08:52 PM
I am now seeing stories of meat processing plants being shut down for deep cleaning and the employees being found with COVID-19.

Tyson Foods
National Beef Packaging
JBS USA
Also remember that most large vegetable farms use migrant labor in their fields. They are unable to travel due to Stay-in-place orders, so they can't report to their usual farms.

Stay Tuned....

I heard all those ^^ reports today too. Smithfield is in SiouxFalls SD and is a huge pork processing plant..

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/12/smithfield-shutting-us-pork-plant-indefinitely-warns-of-meat-shortages-during-pandemic.html

over3500 employees if I remember right. Link to Smithfield story ^^

There's going to be a real impact on the national meat supply.

TJC44
04-12-2020, 09:05 PM
I heard all those ^^ reports today too. Smithfield is in SiouxFalls SD and is a huge pork processing plant..

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/12/smithfield-shutting-us-pork-plant-indefinitely-warns-of-meat-shortages-during-pandemic.html

over3500 employees if I remember right. Link to Smithfield story ^^

There's going to be a real impact on the national meat supply.

I'm sure others have already shut down as well, there just was no press release about it. If you thought the store shelves were bare before, it's looking to get worse.
At least we don't have to worry about running out of milk!

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 10:14 PM
I'm sure others have already shut down as well, there just was no press release about it. If you thought the store shelves were bare before, it's looking to get worse.
At least we don't have to worry about running out of milk!

If anything could scare me, it will be when the public starts sensing a shortage on food. Major panic, that.

Inor
04-12-2020, 10:15 PM

Tyson Foods
National Beef Packaging
JBS USA
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/07/828873225/meat-processing-plants-suspend-operations-after-workers-fall-ill?fbclid=IwAR1LRnabxSXOpNmzqy9nGhagQyOE4eKA6lQef SKGvHGuN2dO85lA5Df5y-8

Stay Tuned....

If you want to hear a Cattle Rancher go nuts, just mention the meat packers. The meat packers have been consolidating in the extreme, so now they are all owned by 4-5 huge conglomerates. They are squeezing the retailers on the one side to raise retail prices and limit production and the ranchers on the other to destroy the prices at auction. According to my rancher friends here, there is no shortage of beef. The meat packers are holding it back to drive up the prices, even to the point where it is rotting in the packing plants. They are using the opposite side of that to drive down auction prices.

I do not know if it is true or not, but the ranchers here are ready for violent revolt over it.

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 10:22 PM
No shortage of beef on the hoof.
This bull hits both ends of the food chain.
Maybe after all the barns burn down - things will eventually revert back to small scale producer->consumer.
For the humans that are left.

StratBastard
04-12-2020, 10:26 PM
If anything could scare me, it will be when the public starts sensing a shortage on food. Major panic, that.

That's just right. We saw the fist fights over toilet paper... imagine when it becomes food. Then there's the looming issue of people not being able to make their rent or mortgages. I smell violence percolating if this continues much longer. Even with everyone back to work, there will be many who just CANNOT get caught up... and a wave of possible defaults and evictions in the months after. Could. Get. UGLY.

StratBastard
04-12-2020, 10:33 PM
And right in the middle of all this, here's yet another prominent individual advocating for economic Armageddon... in the name of "dignity", and misplaced altruism. With absolutely no idea of cause and effect, of how money works or fails, of how humans behave. A "universal Basic Income" would instantly start swelling the ranks of the parasitic, and diminishing those ranks paying for it: the productive. Any money introduced via fiat means rather than created wealth via production only dilutes the money supply... leaving them with higher prices and no more purchasing power than they began with. There IS no magical means by which a large portion of the world can be carried in this manner, except via streamlining opportunities for them to produce as well.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-04-12/pope-ponders-universal-basic-income-as-boris-johnson-is-discharged-opec-strikes-deal

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 10:37 PM
...There IS no magical means by which a large portion of the world can be carried in this manner, except via streamlining opportunities for them to produce as well.

Which of course said effort and cost to set up those opportunities would be expected to be provided by the US.

StratBastard
04-12-2020, 11:24 PM
Which of course said effort and cost to set up those opportunities would be expected to be provided by the US.

Sure, but they can stuff that idea as well. Here in the good 'ol U.S. of A., opportunities are provided simply by deregulation and incentives to invest and produce rather than big government obstacles. How the other bozos go about it doesn't concern us one bit.

MountainGirl
04-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Sure, but they can stuff that idea as well. Here in the good 'ol U.S. of A., opportunities are provided simply by deregulation and incentives to invest and produce rather than big government obstacles. How the other bozos go about it doesn't concern us one bit.

But but but we pay for everything! Right? (Or so it seems..)

StratBastard
04-13-2020, 12:25 AM
But but but we pay for everything! Right? (Or so it seems..)

Well, I gotta say one of the things I approve of Trump is his limiting that now: NATO, Foreign Aid, U.N., WHO... keep going I say.

StratBastard
04-13-2020, 01:54 AM

juskom95
04-13-2020, 05:57 AM
No shortage of beef on the hoof.
This bull hits both ends of the food chain.
Maybe after all the barns burn down - things will eventually revert back to small scale producer->consumer.
For the humans that are left.

My local butcher is seeing the opposite, his business has ramped up significantly. It used to be a two week turn around for a cow or pig to be butchered, but now it is a four week wait. If there's a hold up, it has to be somewhere else in the supply chain.

MountainGirl
04-13-2020, 10:56 AM
My local butcher is seeing the opposite, his business has ramped up significantly. It used to be a two week turn around for a cow or pig to be butchered, but now it is a four week wait. If there's a hold up, it has to be somewhere else in the supply chain.

I like that. Local butcher processing for local folks. The less middle-men the better, imo.
Sad part is - it's the city folk that'll be without.

juskom95
04-13-2020, 11:07 AM
I like that. Local butcher processing for local folks. The less middle-men the better, imo.
I find it is better quality meat and it is the same price as local stores, as long as you buy in bulk.

Sad part is - it's the city folk that'll be without.
The really sad part is, I live in the city, I just drive out to get the meat every 18 months or so . . . . they even deliver, so there is little to no excuse not to do this. I have been telling my neighbor about this since I have lived beside them, even offered my old chest freezer to get them started . . . but they don't.

BucketBack
04-13-2020, 11:11 AM
get it

MountainGirl
04-13-2020, 11:19 AM
I find it is better quality meat and it is the same price as local stores, as long as you buy in bulk.

The really sad part is, I live in the city, I just drive out to get the meat every 18 months or so . . . . they even deliver, so there is little to no excuse not to do this. I have been telling my neighbor about this since I have lived beside them, even offered my old chest freezer to get them started . . . but they don't.

And the really really sad part is, when that's the only option for everyone in your city... you're outta luck. I'm glad you have a big and full freezer!

juskom95
04-13-2020, 11:25 AM
And the really really sad part is, when that's the only option for everyone in your city... you're outta luck. I'm glad you have a big and full freezer!

I will, I don't yet, they're still killing the cow & pig. Most people in my city don't really know where meat comes from. I have enough beans for a while, and I plan on picking up another 50lb bag of rice and/or beans this week.

MountainGirl
04-13-2020, 11:29 AM
I will, I don't yet, they're still killing the cow & pig. Most people in my city don't really know where meat comes from. I have enough beans for a while, and I plan on picking up another 50lb bag of rice and/or beans this week.

Very glad to hear.

juskom95
04-15-2020, 07:42 AM
Thought I'd bump this thread, anyone seeing anything local?

BucketBack
04-15-2020, 07:54 AM
I haven't been to town this week, but I got's my TrumpBux to spend.

That'll get a bunch of Beans and Beer. Don't need no dam boolits

MountainGirl
04-15-2020, 08:47 AM
We drove down to Newport (pop2500) yesterday, Safeway stock about half what it usually is; biggest change was 80% of folks wearing masks, emp cleaning carts at the entrance, labels on floor in 6' increments, one way signs in the isles. No smiles anywhere. The local Ace Hardware really changed too. Plenty of stock - but the checkouts totally reconfigured; plexiglass shields, request to use cards because cash is dangerous, masks gloves sanitizer constantly used....really bizarre. There's more fear than virus. Only 1 positive case in the whole county, no deaths.

BucketBack
04-15-2020, 09:00 AM
I hear ya MG. New Way To Go has 7 cases , 0 deaths

juskom95
04-15-2020, 09:47 AM
We drove down to Newport (pop2500) yesterday, Safeway stock about half what it usually is; biggest change was 80% of folks wearing masks, emp cleaning carts at the entrance, labels on floor in 6' increments, one way signs in the isles. No smiles anywhere. The local Ace Hardware really changed too. Plenty of stock - but the checkouts totally reconfigured; plexiglass shields, request to use cards because cash is dangerous, masks gloves sanitizer constantly used....really bizarre. There's more fear than virus. Only 1 positive case in the whole county, no deaths.

I've seen the same thing and I have to remind myself not to laugh.

Its like everyone forgot SARS, H1N1 etc . . . this is far from the first time we've had a corona virus in the US, and far from the first WHO declared pandemic.

I need to hit the local CostCo for beans and rice, hopefully its still in stock!

MountainGirl
04-15-2020, 09:52 AM
I've seen the same thing and I have to remind myself not to laugh.

Its like everyone forgot SARS, H1N1 etc . . . this is far from the first time we've had a corona virus in the US, and far from the first WHO declared pandemic.

I need to hit the local CostCo for beans and rice, hopefully its still in stock!

Dont dally...and let us know if you get dirty looks (we did) for not wearing a mask. Or - you gonna wear one? I'm going to carry my bandit bandana in my pocket next time.

juskom95
04-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Dont dally...and let us know if you get dirty looks (we did) for not wearing a mask. Or - you gonna wear one?
I'm not wearing one, and I do get dirty looks when I cough. Asthma, allergies and an 'unknown respiratory,' issue from Iraq/Afghanistan means I cough pretty much year round.

It does mean I get plenty of distance though.

I'm going to carry my bandit bandana in my pocket next time.
I have a small kit in my truck with a few masks and rubber gloves, but I don't see a need on contributing to the panic. Now if LexMetro stops me . . .I don't know what I'll do.

TJC44
04-15-2020, 10:03 AM
I have been seeing the same as MG, plus company announced 5%, 10%, or 20% cut in wages to forego layoffs. Trumpbucks just showed up in bank. Need everything. Had a guy try to lecture me about not wearing a mask. People acting stupid crazy at work.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
04-15-2020, 10:12 AM
I'm not wearing one, and I do get dirty looks when I cough. Asthma, allergies and an 'unknown respiratory,' issue from Iraq/Afghanistan means I cough pretty much year round.

It does mean I get plenty of distance though.
Yeah, you be careful with that. The 'good citizens' are starting to vigilante violators.

...Had a guy try to lecture me about not wearing a mask. People acting stupid crazy at work.
In public, too. Mostly in large metro areas, but with the fear spreading rural...yeah.

I'm waiting for the "No Entry Without a Mask" signs to appear on all businesses. Probably be a requirement in some States to let them open.

juskom95
04-15-2020, 10:16 AM
Yeah, you be careful with that. The 'good citizens' are starting to vigilante violators.
I carry when I go out, and I have enough in my home to stop vigilantes. There's a reason I'm going out to stores and not letting my wife go to the stores alone (she's going to work, but they are closed right now).

I'm waiting for the "No Entry Without a Mask" signs to appear on all businesses. Probably be a requirement in some States to let them open.

Look for it with the Democrat led states first. I might reach out to see if there are any class-action suits at that point.

Innkeeper
04-15-2020, 11:35 PM
I have been seeing the same as MG, plus company announced 5%, 10%, or 20% cut in wages to forego layoffs. Trumpbucks just showed up in bank. Need everything. Had a guy try to lecture me about not wearing a mask. People acting stupid crazy at work.

Sent from my LG-G710 using TapatalkYeah I had a lady try to lecture me about not wear a mask, I explained to her that to stop the covid virus if it was airborne she would need like a .05 micron filter mask, that a medical mask, homemade mask or scarf as many wear is just keeping people from spitting on each other, and those garden gloves she was wearing won't do her a lack of good unless she is disposing of them or sterilizing them when she returns home each trip, plus they were cloth. lol
She got this weird look on her face and was like " are you a dr" nope but I am a trained emt, and I spent part of my military time on an NBC detection team, so I had some background with catching stuff. lol she got another weird look clucked her tongue and walked away, which was my main goal.
Next time I will cough on her it will be quicker.

StratBastard
04-16-2020, 12:30 AM
Yeah I had a lady try to lecture me about not wear a mask, I explained to her that to stop the covid virus if it was airborne she would need like a .05 micron filter mask, that a medical mask, homemade mask or scarf as many wear is just keeping people from spitting on each other, and those garden gloves she was wearing won't do her a lack of good unless she is disposing of them or sterilizing them when she returns home each trip, plus they were cloth. lol
She got this weird look on her face and was like " are you a dr" nope but I am a trained emt, and I spent part of my military time on an NBC detection team, so I had some background with catching stuff. lol she got another weird look clucked her tongue and walked away, which was my main goal.

Like trying to stop a dust storm with chicken wire. Unlike bacteria, which a medical mask can be effective for, the Corona virus is a mere 20 nanometers across.

juskom95
04-16-2020, 06:41 AM
It is amazing what you learn about PPE when you actually know the facts. Worse, all of this was true for the other strains of corona virus, but people didn't want to listen then.

Sadly this is true. What I'm seeing is most people don't want to learn about the risks, instead they want 'Daddy Government,' to swoop in and save them. They don't realize that government and society are a thin veil of pretend, it doesn't take much for it to be torn away . . . . its torn right now.

TJC44
04-16-2020, 08:03 AM
Here are some examples of what is going on at my work.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200416/d10c6901b98fefe2af12be97434a49c9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200416/6ee66a4ada1a02918c469b23411ccad2.jpg

juskom95
04-16-2020, 08:38 AM
Here are some examples of what is going on at my work.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200416/d10c6901b98fefe2af12be97434a49c9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200416/6ee66a4ada1a02918c469b23411ccad2.jpg

What do those signs say?

TJC44
04-16-2020, 05:00 PM
What do those signs say?

The one on the traffic cone is just to say Keep left. There are a whole 4 people working behind the line.
The stop sign on the bathroom, someone was trying to be cute about it,
"One at a time, form a line, if its red don't move ahead.
Flip this over as you exit"