PDA

View Full Version : Lessons From Off-Grid Living

hawgrider
12-25-2014, 07:22 PM
A good read!

Follow this advice about off-grid living from a 20-year veteran of producing utility-free electricity.

Read more:*http://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable-energy/off-grid-living-lessons-zm0z14onzkon.aspx#ixzz3MxkVEZwC

1moretoy
12-25-2014, 07:38 PM
I haven't looked into this very closely but have heard of people going off grid then getting fined by the local power company for not using their energy. How does that work?

hawgrider
12-25-2014, 07:42 PM
I haven't looked into this very closely but have heard of people going off grid then getting fined by the local power company for not using their energy. How does that work?200k for that couple to hook up to the juice screw the power company.

I've heard that but I wonder what the conditions were rural or suburban area? What state?

1moretoy
12-25-2014, 07:46 PM
There have been several news stories but most if not all have been in FL.

Inor
12-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I looked at doing solar on our house in Minnesota and for the amount of sun we get it is just not worth the expense. I am surprised they were about to make it work in Ontario. That is one of the reasons we decided to buy property in Arizona. 300 days per year of sun should work well with that system.

Thanks for the link - a good read indeed.

hawgrider
12-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I looked at doing solar on our house in Minnesota and for the amount of sun we get it is just not worth the expense. I am surprised they were about to make it work in Ontario. That is one of the reasons we decided to buy property in Arizona. 300 days per year of sun should work well with that system.

Thanks for the link - a good read indeed.That's why probably he installed those sun trackers to make the most of the lack of sun in great white north. Mi. Not much better.

RWalls
12-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Grid-tie, where legal, is the way to go, some people get checks from the power company depending on the month they're having.

hawgrider
12-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Grid-tie, where legal, is the way to go, some people get checks from the power company depending on the month they're having.Ive heard of that too. When your own system is charged the excess power goes to the grid. Hence the "check"

Sparkyprep
12-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Power company's are trying hard to change laws concerning this. They want to stop writing those checks, and pass laws that force you to pay them, even if you don't use their power. Pay close attention at election times.

Arklatex
12-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Making someone pay for power when that person generates their own is stupid and greedy.