PDA

View Full Version : Amazon, FedEx, Walmart Workers Plan To Walk Out On Friday, Demanding Hazard Pay

BucketBack
04-30-2020, 07:06 AM
Workers from major companies including Amazon, FedEx, Walmart, and others are planning to walk out on Friday over a lack of health and safety standards. They’re also demanding hazard pay for having to work during the coronavirus lockdown.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/amazon-fedex-walmart-workers-plan-to-walk-out-on-friday-demanding-hazard-pay-better-working-conditions

juskom95
04-30-2020, 07:26 AM
I was reading this yesterday, and I know the local Amazon distro center has been receiving hazard pay (2 to 4 an hour extra) plus as much overtime as they can handle.

What is funny is the one organizing this was fired for violating a COVID-19 quarantine order from Amazon management . . . .

shootbrownelk
04-30-2020, 07:49 AM
I was reading this yesterday, and I know the local Amazon distro center has been receiving hazard pay (2 to 4 an hour extra) plus as much overtime as they can handle.

What is funny is the one organizing this was fired for violating a COVID-19 quarantine order from Amazon management . . . .

Sounds like they want to get on the freebee bandwagon....stay at home & collect unemployment PLUS $600 a week. Nice vacation. Why work? Multi-millions of welfare leeches can't be wrong.

juskom95
04-30-2020, 08:03 AM
Sounds like they want to get on the freebee bandwagon....stay at home & collect unemployment PLUS $600 a week. Nice vacation. Why work? Multi-millions of welfare leeches can't be wrong.

This "extra," unemployment money is going to destroy us.

Personally, I would interpret employees walking off as them "quitting," which means they will have a very tough time collecting unemployment. I would make a statement ahead of the 'walk out,' to reflect that. "If you do not show up to work, I will be accepting that as your resignation."

StratBastard
04-30-2020, 08:25 AM

Personally, I would interpret employees walking off as them "quitting," which means they will have a very tough time collecting unemployment. I would make a statement ahead of the 'walk out,' to reflect that. "If you do not show up to work, I will be accepting that as your resignation."

There is also much talk of a second, and even THIRD phase of "stimulus" money… as much as $2K a month. We need to get back to work and producing... not print money.

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 08:27 AM
Back to work on Monday for me. Bout freakin time!

juskom95
04-30-2020, 08:31 AM

An upside to IT is that I can work from just about anywhere there's internet, so I've been working this whole time (in fact, I'm working right now!).

Downside is we support health care, which is still laying off people left and right . . . .

StratBastard
04-30-2020, 08:42 AM
An upside to IT is that I can work from just about anywhere there's internet, so I've been working this whole time (in fact, I'm working right now!).

Downside is we support health care, which is still laying off people left and right . . . .

My daughter is a senior brand marketing manager in a $10 billion dollar APP company in L.A. The whole CORONA virus "crisis" has everyone there working from home as well. They are now having meetings with the CEO and CMO... because their costs have been slashed, and their profits are way UP. THRIVING, is what she told me. They are now reconsidering their entire approach.... realizing that more employees working from home reduces hardware expenditures. Buildings, infrastructure, ect…. This so-called "crisis" has companies re-examining their business models.

Broncosfan
04-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Wife went back to work on Friday. She hasn't received one cent in unemployment. Hers had been denied 4 weeks in a row and you cannot get in touch with anyone to find out why. She has sent letters, emails nothing works.

TJC44
04-30-2020, 08:53 AM
What "Back to work?" I haven't stopped working. I sit here in the back of the room and do my thing. Then go home after 8 hours and do what needs to be done there.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

juskom95
04-30-2020, 08:55 AM
My daughter is a senior brand marketing manger in a $10 billion dollar APP company in L.A. The whole CORONA virus "crisis" has everyone there working from home as well. They are now having meetings with the CEO and CMO... because their costs have been slashed, and their profits are way UP. THRIVING, is what she told me. They are now reconsidering their entire approach.... realizing that more employees working from home reduces hardware expenditures. Buildings, infrastructure, ect…. This so-called "crisis" has companies re-examining their business models.

We were already starting to move people off-site to save money/make more money (we lease out our buildings/floors, so less space for company people, more profits from leases) so we had a leg up when all this happened, as the infrastructure was there. Saved our rear really, we were over-built on infrastructure.

For me, my job doesn't change. I never saw my manager but once or twice a week regardless, and I was left to my own devices. The only downside is that HR/Finance is micromanaging every minute, and for IT that is a nightmare.

hag
04-30-2020, 10:40 AM

Congratulations ol buddy!

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 10:50 AM
Wife went back to work on Friday. She hasn't received one cent in unemployment. Hers had been denied 4 weeks in a row and you cannot get in touch with anyone to find out why. She has sent letters, emails nothing works.

I didn't use any either. I burned vacation and sicktime.

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 10:52 AM
Congratulations ol buddy!

What's going on at the farm you guys holding up OK?
I assume the bourbon folks stayed working?

Broncosfan
04-30-2020, 11:04 AM
I didn't use any either. I burned vacation and sicktime.

She doesn't get either

juskom95
04-30-2020, 11:10 AM
She doesn't get either

None of these systems were even remotely ready for this onslaught, that is hard for those who were suddenly laid off/furloughed/screwed on their jobs.

hag
04-30-2020, 11:16 AM
What's going on at the farm you guys holding up OK?
I assume the bourbon folks stayed working?

Busy both places... I think people drink more when they don't have to be up for work the next morning

MountainGirl
04-30-2020, 11:59 AM

The States of Iowa and Oklahoma (I think it was) agree with you. Their govs told business that open, if their emps dont return, to notify Labor that they've voluntarily resigned. Exceptions are if the emp is sick, or is a caregiver for someone who is.

The whole reason for the PPP was to keep their workers off Unemployment.
See how that worked out? Pffft.

juskom95
04-30-2020, 01:05 PM
The States of Iowa and Oklahoma (I think it was) agree with you. Their govs told business that open, if their emps dont return, to notify Labor that they've voluntarily resigned. Exceptions are if the emp is sick, or is a caregiver for someone who is.
Most state laws are pretty similar. This is one reason I like eMail and text messages, a record of the communications.

The whole reason for the PPP was to keep their workers off Unemployment.
See how that worked out? Pffft.
Yeah. I would make almost what I'm making right now (under the new guidelines) and I would have tremendously less stress . . .

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 02:47 PM
Busy both places... I think people drink more when they don't have to be up for work the next morning

Yup Ive been sanitizing my throat for 5 weeks straight now.

shootbrownelk
04-30-2020, 02:54 PM
There is also much talk of a second, and even THIRD phase of "stimulus" money… as much as $2K a month. We need to get back to work and producing... not print money.

The DemocRATs don't want folks to go back to work. They want the peasants on the Government dole forever. The $2,000 a month is part of their "Guaranteed Income" plan to create a class of couch potatoes who vote from the comfort of the couch. The mail-in vote is the next step. The Republicans had better stop this money printing insanity NOW. Very, very soon all that "Free" money will be worthless. I hope the GOP grows a set, and puts the kibosh on the Dem's scheme.

juskom95
04-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Yup Ive been sanitizing my throat for 5 weeks straight now.

I'm bad about it. I have a flask on my work desk at home, and some of its contents may have spilled into my glass a few times . . .