PDA

View Full Version : Start a fire with a pop can if your desperate.

hawgrider
12-27-2014, 06:55 PM
http://youtu.be/yTdY-dOYvSA

Arklatex
12-27-2014, 08:35 PM
I have tried this and failed. My solution was to carry a bic in my front left pocket and a fresnel lens in my wallet. Not to mention all the Pyro goodies in my go bags and the truck.

hawgrider
12-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I have tried this and failed. My solution was to carry a bic in my front left pocket and a fresnel lens in my wallet. Not to mention all the Pyro goodies in my go bags and the truck.

I think the key words are "if your desperate" Polishing and intense sun would key. Or you could always pee in a empty absopure clear water bottle and use it in the sun as a magnifier. "Never piss against the wind" though.

Txwheels
12-28-2014, 09:10 AM
I think the key words are "if your desperate" Polishing and intense sun would key. Or you could always pee in a empty absopure clear water bottle and use it in the sun as a magnifier. "Never piss against the wind" though.

Yep, lots of polishing.

I keep a 2 inch diameter magnifying lens in each of my bags and one in my truck and car.

Pauls
12-29-2014, 03:41 PM
You can use a pair of binoculars as the lens to start a fire. Just point the objective lens at the sun and the ocular lens to focus on your tinder. The ocular lens is the one you look into and the objective lens is the one that is pointed at the object you are looking at.

You can also build a fire piston from dry wood (if there is any).

In any fire building exercise you need to have a lot more tinder and small wood than it takes to "set" the fire. You need to have it all on hand and ready before you try to start the fire.