PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Oilskin Tarps from Bed Sheets

hawgrider
12-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I found this interesting.

http://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/how-to-make-lightweight-oilskin-tarps-from-bed-sheets/

Inor
12-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Great link! Thanks!

jeff70
12-27-2014, 10:41 PM
thanks, I might give this a try this spring

OSFG
12-27-2014, 10:59 PM
I found this interesting.

http://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/how-to-make-lightweight-oilskin-tarps-from-bed-sheets/

Good link. I'm going to try this. However I will not be using Mrs. SF's Washing machine to rinse it cause she scares me when I piss her off...and staining or no staining...I'm not allowed to put my "Experiments" into her...and I quote...Dryer, washer, oven, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, or any of the other stuff I use. or that will be the last thing of mine you will ever put anything into again...unquote. I think thats a double entendre...neither of which bodes well for me.

so I'm thinking the laundry mat down the road.

Inor
12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm not allowed to put my "Experiments" into her...and I quote...Dryer, washer, oven, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, or any of the other stuff I use. or that will be the last thing of mine you will ever put anything into again...unquote.

Has Mrs SF been talking to Mrs Inor again? She says exactly the same thing to me in exactly the same words...

Arklatex
12-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Pretty cool! I even have the black walnuts. That tree really makes me mad in late summer. The walnuts have a tendency to find my lawnmower blades if I'm not real careful about picking them up. It's like running over a golf ball.

For this project, he didn't say if the sheet needs to be brand new. I wonder if that matters? I have a bunch of old sheets but they have been washed a million times. Maybe they are to worn out to work...

hawgrider
12-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Pretty cool! I even have the black walnuts. That tree really makes me mad in late summer. The walnuts have a tendency to find my lawnmower blades if I'm not real careful about picking them up. It's like running over a golf ball.

For this project, he didn't say if the sheet needs to be brand new. I wonder if that matters? I have a bunch of old sheets but they have been washed a million times. Maybe they are to worn out to work...
He did say tighter the thread count the better. Cheap sheets obviously wouldn't work as good.

Arklatex
12-28-2014, 08:04 AM
True. I bet these things hold up better than those cheap plastic tarps. I've almost bought real expensive oiled canvas tarps on several occasions. Great for covering loads on a trailer. These homemade ones would be good for a ghb or bob shelter.

hawgrider
12-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Agree the poly tarps are good for one spin down the road at 70 mph and then the wind shreds them even when new.

Txwheels
12-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Has Mrs SF been talking to Mrs Inor again? She says exactly the same thing to me in exactly the same words...

Are you guys sure our wives aren't triplets?

longrider
12-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for posting the link, Hawgrider. I've been browsing his other"'lessons" and will go back to read more. I did see a video on using a canvas and turning it to oilskin. But that stuff is sooooo heavy! This is a great find. Thanks again. And don't believe him when he says that the newly dyed cloth won't stain the washer and dryer. Keep peace in the household.

OSFG
12-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Are you guys sure our wives aren't triplets?

Quite possible...they do say that trouble comes in three's right?

James m
12-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Take it to the laundry mat. Might even have enough quarters left for the car wash.

We had a free tarp from a family members work. It was a tarp for a shipping container when it was on a boat. So it was pretty big. We cut it and used it when we needed it. It was blue and white striped. It was fiber reinforced too, when it frayed from use, you could see fibers.