PDA

View Full Version : How to Open a Padlock with a Coke Can

hawgrider
12-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Might come in handy?

In a true shtf situation there are many scenarios where you may need to open a padlock.
http://prepforshtf.com/open-padlock-coke-can/#.VJ9utVTAFA

bigwheel
12-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks for those movies. The one where they were shooting .22 LR at 450 yards was also very cool.

hawgrider
12-28-2014, 07:15 AM
Thanks for those movies. The one where they were shooting .22 LR at 450 yards was also very cool.I've seen that one but don't remember posting it here. Quite impressive .22lr at 450 yards who da thunk it.

Arklatex
12-28-2014, 07:47 AM
I have done this before. I seen this year's ago and didn't think much of it. But one time I left the key to my work locker at home and this got me out of that jam without ruining the lock. That was a cheap masterlock though. Wonder if this would work on a better quality padlock. If not there's tons of other ways to get one off. Just be careful if you try this. The shims can cut you easily.

James m
12-28-2014, 09:32 AM
On the cheap combination type pad locks you just pull down as if to open it and spin the dial until it wants to stop.

bigwheel
12-28-2014, 02:25 PM
I've seen that one but don't remember posting it here. Quite impressive .22lr at 450 yards who da thunk it.

The .22 movie was either grouped in with the guy picking the lock or maybe starting a fire with the soda can. I am fixing to go double check on that. Its nice to know a .22 can punch a hole in pine board at 450 yards..now all I am needing to know is how to hit the board at that distance..lol.

Deebo
12-28-2014, 08:06 PM
I myself did open some locks with the described message. I used shimstock, .010 I think. On dial locks that have a little slop in them, its easy. I opened about six different locks, both styles.
Deffinately takes a good touch.

James m
12-28-2014, 08:32 PM
The lock is almost never a weak point. Remember the lock company that shot their pad locks with a 12 gauge slug?

Its no use if you buy a lock that can take a slug, only to screw it into wood with one inch wood screws....

Pauls
12-29-2014, 03:20 PM
In less time than it takes to make a single shim you can break the hasp using a 12" screw driver placed through the lock and twisted until the metal yields.

It is practically silent and it is fast enough that it takes no more time than to use a key. If you want to be stealthy and not let anyone know you were there then do like I do and pick the lock. I have a set (several sets) of picks and can pick any straight key lock. I have two sizes of picks for the cylidrical key locks (like on vending machines and garage door operner switches) but they are harder to pick. Combination locks are a lot harder to pick and easier to destroy to get open.

Most key or combination lock boxes (advertised as "fireproof safes") can be dropped on a rear corner to open them.

The only secure safe is one that uses hardened bolts to retain the door on all sides, weighs more than 500 pounds, and is securely bolted to the wall and floor or bedded in concrete several feet thick.

Biometric and keypad locks usually have a by-pass or key in case something goes wrong with the electronics so they are no more secure than their keyed counter parts.

By the way, any key lock can be opened by drilling a 1/4" hole in the tooth end of the key slot. This provides room for the tumblers to fall and allows you to open the lock. Lock internals are rarely made of hardened metal so drilling is fairly easy.