PDA

View Full Version : The Deep Freeze (need help buying a freezer)

KnuteFartne
06-08-2020, 10:07 AM
Hot Nursey and I have decided to buy a steer. It's the type of deal where they slaughter it and prepare the meat for you.

We're going to need a freezer so I thought I'd ask the OTP brain trust for suggestions.

First off what do you think is better, a stand up or the chest type freezer.

Anything else I should think of?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hawgrider
06-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Hot Nursey and I have decided to buy a steer. It's the type of deal where they slaughter it and prepare the meat for you.

We're going to need a freezer so I thought I'd ask the OTP brain trust for suggestions.

First off what do you think is better, a stand up or the chest type freezer.

Anything else I should think of?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chest last longer when the power goes out.

Yeah better think of where you are going to find one. Is the run on freezers done now and are they back in stock?

juskom95
06-08-2020, 10:12 AM
I had a chest freezer and a stand up.

A chest freezer killed my back and took up more floor space.

My 22 CU stand up freezer is enough (barely) for half a cow and half a pig.

StratBastard
06-08-2020, 10:13 AM
You'll love it! My parents used to buy "half a steer" and load up the freezer with custom cuts and grinds of beef. It's great to have the selection.

Slippy
06-08-2020, 11:19 AM
My original plan was to go with a chest freezer and store it in the basement and build a raised stand to place it on so that it is more easily accessible and won't kill your back when you are organizing it/rooting through it looking for some Beef of Tongue or whatever!

Circumstances however led to us having 3 refrigerator/freezer combo's. So buying a chest freezer has been put on hold until one of the fridges dies. (Why does a man need not one, not 2 but 3 fridge/freezer combos? Hellifiknow! But we got em.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing what you bought!

juskom95
06-08-2020, 11:38 AM
(Why does a man need not one, not 2 but 3 fridge/freezer combos? Hellifiknow! But we got em.

I have two refrigerators, a stand up freezer and an un-used chest freezer, so . . . yeah. That isn't counting my 'beer,' fridges either, so . . . .

BucketBack
06-08-2020, 11:49 AM
I have a small cube fridge in the barn, for beer of course. Then a small chest freezer, plus the new Fridge/freeze combo in the kitchen.

I live alone, so I have plenty of room, but thinking a large chest freezer is in the future.

Inor
06-08-2020, 11:55 AM
We had a chest freezer in our MN house. It worked great and like Hawg mentioned, it could keep stuff frozen for several day without power (as long as it was full). The biggest problem with the chest freezer was the stuff that worked itself to the bottom never got eaten and would get freezer burn and ended up being thrown away. We bought a 22 foot stand-up freezer for M.T. Acres. So far, it is also working well and stuff is much easier to find so I do not think we will lose as much to freezer burn from being forgotten.

The biggest problem with it is both Mrs Inor and I are absolute ice cream whores. So right now it is full of ice cream, ice cream bars, ice cream sammiches, etc. I.E. Whenever we see ice cream on sale (like it has been often during the Coronacation), we load up en masse.

We have not tried putting a side of beef in it yet (Moth is scheduled for processing the week of August 10th, so I will know more after that). But I am thinking we may need to get a second one to fit all the Moth-meat and be able to keep enough bacon and ice cream to be happy.

Another option to check on is you butcher. The butcher we are using will store meat for you in his walk-in freezer for a nominal fee. Ours charges something like $5 per month to store up to a full steer or hog.

RubberDuck
06-08-2020, 04:08 PM
I'm late to the party but my 2 pennies count.
I have had both and prefer the stand up I also keep a half gallon frozen water jug on each shelf 2 reasons
1 good in the coolers
2 power outage even though very scarce here might help keep it cooler.

Fun factor for a chest freezer when you do a defrost and clean it out after a few years the surprise of find shit you forgot about in the bottom.

Dwight55
06-08-2020, 04:54 PM
I have all three, . . . freezer on the side of the fridge, . . . small chest, . . . medium size stand up.

Prefer the stand up, . . . but if I had any real power problems, . . . it'd be the chest just for that reason.

Our fridge freezer gets the quick eaten stuff, . . . stand up gets the meat, . . . (so I can plan my personal dinner course, . . . burger, chops, squawker, steak, roast, . . . it's always my choice, . . . and the stand up makes making that choice easier.

The chest gets the fruits, pies, and assorted odds & ends. Always fun to try & recall what's in there. Hadda open it up the other day, . . . saw a bag of grapes, . . . grabbed em and made one of the very best pies I've ever eaten, . . . a grape pie.

Hope this helps some way.

May God bless,
Dwight

Innkeeper
06-08-2020, 08:11 PM
I used to have a chest freezer loved it but like the others meat did get lost. When I bought this house a family member offered me a great deal on a stand up freezer (free with delivery) couldn't pass it up. I was unsure of it at first not as much room as the chest but it has grown on me and I love it so much easier to access what I need.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sparkyprep
06-08-2020, 08:24 PM
I swear by chest freezers. I have three. They are the best, if you have the floor space for them.

hag
06-08-2020, 10:14 PM
I have 4 chest freezers... very dependable and will last a lifetime if you get a good one

shootbrownelk
06-10-2020, 07:57 AM
I have a fridge/freezer and an upright freezer in the house and a fridge/freezer and an upright in the shop/garage. I had a chest freezer and had the same problem with things on the bottom getting lost, forgotten, freezer burned and then tossed. The chest freezers are more efficient but the uprights are much more convenient. Things in them are easier to find and nothing gets tossed.

juskom95
06-10-2020, 11:31 AM
I have a fridge/freezer and an upright freezer in the house and a fridge/freezer and an upright in the shop/garage. I had a chest freezer and had the same problem with things on the bottom getting lost, forgotten, freezer burned and then tossed. The chest freezers are more efficient but the uprights are much more convenient. Things in them are easier to find and nothing gets tossed.

There is a danger to feet/toes from an upright!

BucketBack
06-10-2020, 01:19 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg?1315930535 T F ?

Ricekila
06-10-2020, 02:07 PM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Animals/.highres/image_51188_zpswxpww1we.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/RICEKILA/a/6fb08972-4baf-444f-a69c-33f71e97ebce/p/a2927fba-4029-40d8-b150-4f635a31b7b4)

RubberDuck
06-10-2020, 02:08 PM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Animals/.highres/image_51188_zpswxpww1we.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/RICEKILA/a/6fb08972-4baf-444f-a69c-33f71e97ebce/p/a2927fba-4029-40d8-b150-4f635a31b7b4)I have the 4 deer

Innkeeper
06-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Me too

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

shootbrownelk
06-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Me three. And I have 2 of them, so I guess that'd be a 4 deer + 1 elk combo.