PDA

View Full Version : How much to plant per person for a year

JustAnotherNut
06-14-2020, 04:11 PM
If you've ever wondered how much you'd have to plant in your garden to feed your family for a year, below is a good list to use as a guide. First consider not just what you eat, but how much of it and how often to get an idea of how much you might need for a year. Then consider how you can preserve the harvests, to last that long. Do you can? Dehydrate? or Freeze?

This may sound like a lot of food and you may think you'd need a lot of space to grow so much...…...but there are many crops that can be planted twice in the same season. Things like peas, potatoes, carrots, cabbages, etc can be planted in early spring and harvested by early summer...….just in time to amend the soil and plant again for a fall harvest. There are other gardening methods that can maximize your growing space as well.

There are also ways of extending your growing season as well as space savers. Using row covers or hot or cold frames, planting in containers that can be moved as your weather & season changes.

https://www.wellfedhomestead.com/how-much-should-you-plant-in-your-garden-to-provide-a-years-worth-of-food

Innkeeper
06-14-2020, 07:02 PM
Very interesting good info right there thank you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Piratesailor
06-14-2020, 07:13 PM
Good stuff. I sent this my green thumb wife.

I look sideways at a plant and it dies...

Inor
06-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Great info!

But I am still not eating peas or kale! (I heard somewhere kale turns folks into homos.)

JustAnotherNut
06-14-2020, 11:12 PM
Great info!

But I am still not eating peas or kale! (I heard somewhere kale turns folks into homos.)

ROFL....I've not heard nor experienced that problem with kale. But then I don't eat it straight up either. I do dehydrate it, then powder it.....then sneak it in where & when I can. Need the nutrition it provides. Otherwise that stuff is not meant for human consumption & tastes like chit.

Gambit
06-14-2020, 11:14 PM
(I heard somewhere kale turns folks into homos.)
the only time I will buy kale is for when I had my iguana years back
that shit is nasty and so is ****ing spinach

hawgrider
06-15-2020, 05:19 AM
How much to plant per person for a year

Meathchicken allows 12 plants :biglaugh:

BucketBack
06-15-2020, 09:50 AM
folks get hung up when they clone the plants. they wind up with 24 as soon as the cut is in a medium.