PDA

View Full Version : Urban and Suburban Flight to the Country

Slippy
07-30-2020, 07:39 AM
When we bought Slippy Lodge, the closest town (3 miles away) was a 1 Stop-Light town with a Hardware Store, BBQ Restaurant, 1 Fast Food Restaurant, 2 gas stations, 1 Auto Repair Shop and 1 Seasonal Farmers Market Stand. The next closest town was approx 8-10 miles away.

Farms, Recreational Hunting Property, Single Family homes on acreage and undeveloped land were our neighbors. The immediate land around me (approx 2000 acres) was owned by Weekend Recreational people and Forestry Owned land. My land was Zoned Agricultural (AG) when I bought it, and we petitioned it to be zoned Agricultural PRESERVE (AG-P)and it was approved.

The research that I did made me believe that Ag Preserve would help me from being surrounded by Developments and growth

Well, this week I received a certified letter from the town nearest me that the land that borders mine (forestry land also zoned Ag-P)) was just bought by a developer and the town was going to vote to change the land's zoning to Residential/Development from Ag Preserve (as mine is).

So I called the mayor to ask what will happen and if I am screwed. The mayor assured me that he was committed to keeping all the AG Preserve Land as AG-P not Residential.

Regardless, my land is outside the city limits but growth is coming. At this point I am safe but awaiting the results of the vote.

FUBAR!

BucketBack
07-30-2020, 07:42 AM
People don't think Urban / Suburban flight be like it is, but it do.

Slippy
07-30-2020, 07:52 AM
My Shooting Range back stop is built in front of a berm that is approximately 50 feet from my neighbor's (the Forestry company that sold the land to the developer) property line. When the Forestry company owned it I never saw anyone out there and the trees were too young to cut so I figured it was safe to build my Range Back Stop where I built it.

A few weeks ago I saw Neon Red marking tape on my border indicating that a survey had been made.

I wonder if they saw my Range Back Stop and how the new owners will react to my Range? Its perfectly legal for me to shoot on my land but I don't want new neighbors causing a problem...

BucketBack
07-30-2020, 08:08 AM
I've been shooting on my family property for 52 years. There were no other homes and our side of the road for miles.

Now I'm surrounded and get called into the Popo when I shoot, and when the neighbors around me shoot.

Then this lab is a half mile from home, but I get the credit for shooting. WTF ?

https://appliedballisticsllc.com/

Piratesailor
07-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Good luck Slippy..despite what the mayor says you’re probably screwed.

I’m not to much different. When I bought my place there was a 1,000 acre farm in back of me. Everyone around me has between 5 and 10 acres. 2 years ago the farm sold to developers. Surveys for roads were done, etc etc. I talked to the guy at the county in charge of rights of way and he gave me some insights but I still expected to see a road near me and development to take place.

Then last July, after returning from my annual month long camping trip, I found the “farm” fully fenced and now stocked with cattle. I surmise two things. First if they lose the AG exception they are liable for 3 years back property taxes so while they decide what to do they kept the exemptions in place. Second is simply that they bought a rice farm. So, it’s a rice farm.. so what. Well, how do you grow rice? FLOOD IT WITH WATER. So what they did was bought low land that will need to have millions of square feet of dirt brought in to raise the land. They will bring the ire of the county flood department (it already has) and the neighbors.

Anyway, I’m sure it will be development at some point but I’m being told that instead of a subdivision it would now be 35 to 38 homes on large acreage lots.

Progress... sometimes it’s not worth it.

shootbrownelk
07-31-2020, 09:01 AM
When we bought Slippy Lodge, the closest town (3 miles away) was a 1 Stop-Light town with a Hardware Store, BBQ Restaurant, 1 Fast Food Restaurant, 2 gas stations, 1 Auto Repair Shop and 1 Seasonal Farmers Market Stand. The next closest town was approx 8-10 miles away.

Farms, Recreational Hunting Property, Single Family homes on acreage and undeveloped land were our neighbors. The immediate land around me (approx 2000 acres) was owned by Weekend Recreational people and Forestry Owned land. My land was Zoned Agricultural (AG) when I bought it, and we petitioned it to be zoned Agricultural PRESERVE (AG-P)and it was approved.

The research that I did made me believe that Ag Preserve would help me from being surrounded by Developments and growth

Well, this week I received a certified letter from the town nearest me that the land that borders mine (forestry land also zoned Ag-P)) was just bought by a developer and the town was going to vote to change the land's zoning to Residential/Development from Ag Preserve (as mine is).

So I called the mayor to ask what will happen and if I am screwed. The mayor assured me that he was committed to keeping all the AG Preserve Land as AG-P not Residential.

Regardless, my land is outside the city limits but growth is coming. At this point I am safe but awaiting the results of the vote.

FUBAR!

Are you getting the Commifornia refugee influx Slippy? As far as the city council/mayor are concerned, they are ALL about getting more and more tax revenue to spend. Plain & simple, follow the money.

Slippy
07-31-2020, 11:16 AM
Are you getting the Commifornia refugee influx Slippy? As far as the city council/mayor are concerned, they are ALL about getting more and more tax revenue to spend. Plain & simple, follow the money.

Not the Commiefornia, but the suburbanites from Birmingham, AL and Atlanta, GA who think they are conservative but they vote for Security/Regulations over Freedom every time and are just as guilty as commiefornias in ruining our country.

Piratesailor
07-31-2020, 11:39 AM
Wyoming... I’m really thinking about Wyoming.

Slippy
07-31-2020, 04:01 PM

South Dakota OR Wyoming for sure.

shootbrownelk
07-31-2020, 08:29 PM

Wyoming....I think about it everyday. I thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to live here, where there are more antelope than people. We are going to have to start a vetting process however.

Innkeeper
07-31-2020, 09:20 PM
South Dakota OR Wyoming for sure.Wyoming or Alaska for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dwight55
07-31-2020, 09:59 PM
Thankfully . . . my 10 acres is in front of 80 some odd that will never be broken up further.

My west neighbor is the local State hunting preserve / state park . . . it ain't gonna change in my life time.

My east neighbor has about 10 acres as well . . . it'll stay as is.

The only question mark is the south neighbor . . . a 200 acre field . . . that could be subdivided into upscale plots. . . . except it is on the border of two "lesser" counties . . . and all the snooty folks really don't want there . . . so for at least my lifetime of less than another 25 years . . . my humble abode is safe as long as the property taxes don't skyrocket.

Sometimes I sit out front with a cup of coffee . . . biggest sound is a crow in the distance . . . a hummingbird passing thru . . . or my flag flapping in the breeze.

I like where we are . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
07-31-2020, 10:02 PM

FUBAR!

Just because developer owns the land and has big plans for it, does not really mean anything yet...

The land we built M.T. Acres on was owned by a developer. Back in the 1960's and 70's they bought it and intended it to become the next Sun City. The land was all subdivided into 1 1/2 acre lots and dirt roads were put in. In the 80's, the phone company even ran phone lines to each lot. Back then, the little town about 4 miles from us (no stoplights) was booming. It had 3-4 restaurants, a couple of gas stations and various other businesses and even a golf course.

Nothing ever happened with the developer or their plans. The developer eventually went bankrupt and much of the land around us went into tax default. (We have been buying small bits and chunks as we discover a piece at a decent price and we have the cash on hand to pay green cash for it.)

Anyway, as far as the town goes... We do now have 2 restaurants (a new one just opened a few months ago), no gas stations, an auto repair shop, a gun store and a hardware store. The golf course closed and the land was bought by a rich doctor outside Tucson who is in the process of turning it into a vineyard. In other words, the developer lost his shirt on the land and we and several others were able to benefit from it by getting some land cheap.

So all hope is not lost.

Inor
07-31-2020, 10:06 PM
Thankfully . . . my 10 acres is in front of 80 some odd that will never be broken up further.

My west neighbor is the local State hunting preserve / state park . . . it ain't gonna change in my life time.

My east neighbor has about 10 acres as well . . . it'll stay as is.

The only question mark is the south neighbor . . . a 200 acre field . . . that could be subdivided into upscale plots. . . . except it is on the border of two "lesser" counties . . . and all the snooty folks really don't want there . . . so for at least my lifetime of less than another 25 years . . . my humble abode is safe as long as the property taxes don't skyrocket.

Sometimes I sit out front with a cup of coffee . . . biggest sound is a crow in the distance . . . a hummingbird passing thru . . . or my flag flapping in the breeze.

I like where we are . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

I like your spot a LOT! You have a great plot of land in a great area.

Dwight55
07-31-2020, 10:13 PM
I like your spot a LOT! You have a great plot of land in a great area.

Maybe when this wuhan flu thing is past tense . . . I may have to come and pet that donkey . . .

Man . . . I got a case of cabin fever like you ain't never seen.

This is THE LONGEST time I've stayed put since I was a senior in HS . . . and that was over 50 years ago.

Ugh.............

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
07-31-2020, 10:27 PM
Maybe when this wuhan flu thing is past tense . . . I may have to come and pet that donkey . . .

Man . . . I got a case of cabin fever like you ain't never seen.

This is THE LONGEST time I've stayed put since I was a senior in HS . . . and that was over 50 years ago.

Ugh.............

May God bless,
Dwight

Anytime you want, of course you are welcome!

Even the virus is not bad here. AZ is one of the "hotspots", but our little valley is largely untouched. No masks, no restrictions to speak of... The only thing I do notice is when we got to the city once per month to go shopping; it is virus hyper-crazy there and they are periodically sold out of the weirdest things. The last time we were there (about 2 weeks ago) dog food was hard to come by. TP and people-food was all fully stocked, but dog food was very low. The time before that, you could not get pre-made iced tea to save your soul. Go figure...

TJC44
08-03-2020, 08:23 PM
I feel for you all. NOT!
I live on a 1/4 Acre postage stamp, have aircraft on Final flying oer my head, and, I see they are putting in ANOTHER Amazon Distribution Center 1/2 mile down the road. The State has just shoved throught a bill (which No-Brain Ned signed) that takes away personal liability protection from the cops, which basically means that they are open to lawsuit for doing their jobs. How long do you think they will stay on the job?
Yes, I would love to get the hell away from here, but honestly, its not happenning in my near future.

The moral of the story?
As bad as you THINK you have it, someone is in deeper shit than you. Be happy.

Ricekila
08-03-2020, 08:44 PM
The moral of the story?
As bad as you THINK you have it, someone is in deeper shit than you. Be happy.

I'm in NY --

Broncosfan
08-03-2020, 09:28 PM
We live on 2 1/2 acres which will change in the nest 2 months. When we settle the estate we will have 35 acres. Now I don't feel land locked and a little more conformable. We will have a new neighbor when the estate house sells. I'm hoping for a retiring couple but who knows who I will end up with. Which is several hundred feet away. There will be a new pond built between the houses this fall or early spring. I have no other neighbors for now. South of me I doubt they ever sale its supposed to be give to her grandson as his Dad is buried on the property. West of me is a large tract that is leased for hunting and one day could be developed but I live in a rural county so maybe not. West of me is another tract that the owner might build on one day but after taking with him he has his doubts he will build on it. He uses it for hunting. So for now I'm happy where I'm at but who knows what the future brings. I would have never predicts losing both my Mom and Stepdad in the same year and then the Corona Virus on top of that.

Inor
08-03-2020, 10:00 PM
We live on 2 1/2 acres which will change in the nest 2 months. When we settle the estate we will have 35 acres. Now I don't feel land locked and a little more conformable. We will have a new neighbor when the estate house sells. I'm hoping for a retiring couple but who knows who I will end up with. Which is several hundred feet away. There will be a new pond built between the houses this fall or early spring. I have no other neighbors for now. South of me I doubt they every sale its supposed to be give to her grandson as his Dad is buried on the property. West of me is a large tract that is leased for hunting and one day could be developed but I live in a rural county so maybe not. West of me is another tract that the owner might build on one day but after taking with him he has his doubts he will build on it. He uses it for hunting. So for now I'm happy where I'm at but who knows what the future brings. I would have never predicts losing both my Mom and Stepdad in the same year and then the Corona Virus on top of that.

You have had a damn rough year. You deserve a few breaks going your way. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Broncosfan
08-04-2020, 06:12 AM
Yes its been a tough one for sure and we still have several months to go

BucketBack
08-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Wyoming....I think about it everyday. I thank my lucky stars that I am fortunate enough to live here, where there are more antelope than people. We are going to have to start a vetting process however.

Why ? Do the antelope need medical attention ?

Prepared One
08-04-2020, 06:46 AM
I live in Houston Texas and I have lost the battle to the liberals here in the city. The rest of the state will fall sooner or later. Probably sooner. A nice mountain in the middle of god damned nowhere may be in my future. I'll watch the world tear itself apart from my back porch while drinking a cold beer on a mountain someplace.

shootbrownelk
08-04-2020, 07:26 AM
Why ? Do the antelope need medical attention ?

No, the antelope are legal citizens. I'm talking about the refugees from Commiefornia and other Demotard infested states.

Slippy
08-14-2020, 06:46 AM
The old man who owned 50 acres of land across the creek from me died about a year ago and his widow sold the land recently. The old man used to hunt the land and told me that it was too expensive to build a bridge over the creek to bring in utilities so he never built anything on the land.

The new owners just started building a bridge over the creek. I met them and they seem like good people and are somewhat local, fleeing their subdivision in town. The wife wants to tear down the old fence and cattle gate at our access road and build a new gate with a solar power opener and landscape the entrance. Of course they want me to pitch in.

I told them I'd rather leave it like it is so that passerby's think that mean ass rednecks who don't take shit live back there. They did not appreciate my response.

I'll be polite but I will mostly ignore them for a while. Until I see them "Pitching In" and fixing potholes in the gravel road or clearing a downed tree I'll withhold judgement on them.

Slippy
08-14-2020, 06:48 AM
Never buy land that has shared Ingress/Egress.