PDA

View Full Version : Farm Models

Jeep
01-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Kind of off the beaten path. But when I get an idea in my head for a new coop or pen, for the animals, I go to Michaels craft store, get materials and I build a small one. Say 12 by 16 inches, the fence the shelter all that.

1moretoy
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM
So where are the pix of your prototype?

Jeep
01-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Working on that lol. Some are in the shop, some IDK.

1moretoy
01-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm the same way about building some idea stuck in my head. Sometimes I use items as simple as cardboard like for making a template. Sometimes it's just straight from my head to the project like this kitchen island.

Jeep
01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
I get the fake grass, moss and try to make it look like a real building. Or pen. ground and dirt and whatever.

1moretoy
01-04-2015, 05:53 PM
That's a good way to see the end project before you even start:thumb:

Arklatex
01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
This would be a great time to learn about computer aided drafting.

Jeep
01-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Always wanted to learn. I always thought I would grow up to be an Architect, but my math stinks.

Arklatex
01-04-2015, 06:36 PM
They have made it easy nowadays. If I can do it you can too Jeep. I suck at math as well.

omegabrock
01-04-2015, 09:10 PM
I have a 4'x4' coop that isn't big enough. I want to build a second. The one I have I want to be my nesting coop and the one I want to build for roosting...connected with a 2'x2'ish tunnel (hallway). Both with access doors for me and another for the chicks...

Can you work up a model for the roosting coop? As a demonstration for your topic of course :)

Jeep
01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Can certainly try, however go to Backyard Chickens. com. you can see hundreds of coops, that is what got me started. It is suggested to have 1.2 sq ft per hen, I go 1.5 just makes things easier.

The last one I built I used a lot of 2x6 because of weather, and wind and such. Since most lumber can come in 16 foot lengths I built the base at 16x8 ft. 3ft. high.

omegabrock
01-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Well I have the coop inside a 775sqft area and the only time they are in the coop is at night so it can be relatively smaller. That's actually where I did most of my research though. Long term goal is to have about 25-30 hens, all rotating their peak laying but I'm far from there lol.

Jeep
01-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Well the 1.5 sq ft inside is where it matters or Hens will eat other Hens eggs to have space. So roomy though a pain is practical. Let me work some stuff out and I can show ya.

omegabrock
01-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Thought that said 12sqft...new tapatalk update changed the font and I couldn't see the 1 . 2 lol I think mine are sitting around 2sqft inside the coop right now.

Jeep
01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Then your great, some if they are friendly and depending on breed will nest double.

pheniox17
01-05-2015, 12:41 AM
I get the fake grass, moss and try to make it look like a real building. Or pen. ground and dirt and whatever.

You better be including ww2 army men + tanks to those models :P (then pull out the magnifying glass)

Pauls
01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
LibreCad is a free program. There might be a version for Windoze too but I use Linux. LibreCad is just one of the free (open source) software bundles that I use. In fact every one of my three computers uses a linux OS and is loaded with nothing but Open Source software. What I need or want that isn't available on the Open Source listings I write myself.

My third computer was a Christmas present from my wife. It was supposedly loaded with Windoze 8.x but the first time it booted was off the Linux CD and from there I removed the software and reformatted to EXT4 file system and loaded it with the linux OS. Anyone can download the Linux ISO file and burn it to a CD to use Linux from the CD boot and keep your pet virus from Windoze at the same time.

I ran both for about a year and when the windoze blue screen of death appeared the third time I removed it, reformatted and loaded Linux. My brother was running a dual boot machine until he realized that everything he needed was free from the open source software community. He removed windoze the same day and hasn't gone back.

When I was running Microsoft OS I used quite a few different CAD programs from "Freecad" (which wasn't free) to Autocad 12 and the LibreCad is missing just one function that Autocad had that I used a lot. I found that LibreCad has a way to do the same thing. Most of the Open source stuff is ported to Microsoft too.

Jeep
01-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks Paul.

James m
01-06-2015, 09:45 PM
I learned drafting a long long time ago. We basically taped a blank paper to the desk with masking tape at the corners. Then you have something that looks like a drywall t-square that rides on the side of the table to create a straight line. You can put one of the flat triangles on the square and line it up to make a straight line. Am I boring you guys yet?

Jeep
01-06-2015, 10:07 PM
No. I took it in HS, they would put an object out for us to draw, solid and dotted lines etc. or give us a page and instruct us to draw the object.

Pauls
01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
I took three semesters of drafting in highschool and really enjoyed it. I was looking forward to a drafting job but I got out of school just as the economy took a dive. So I went to an auto tech school and became a mechanic. Then I taught at the same school for a while until I found a decent job that I could make a living at. I went from automotive to racing to heavy equipment. I finished that carreer as an industrial safety trainer and then finished my masters in theology and became a minister. I never felt qualified to be a preacher but I was comfortable helping folks resolve the differences between the way they lived their lives and the way the preachers told them they should live their lives. I even became a pastor for a small congregation for about three years until they could find a full time preacher. I got more than a few notes asking me to come back but it is not my true calling.

Jeep
01-08-2015, 07:51 PM
I have fun trying to refine some small crafting skills, using clay and Balsa wood. And when I am done, I either display it or hide it. Working on my B.S. now. Not sure where it will take me.