PDA

View Full Version : Big Government Goes After Heirloom Seeds

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Big Government Goes After Heirloom Seeds

Trading heirloom or open-pollinated seeds with your friends and neighbors could be in violation of state law.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2015/01/06/big-government-goes-after-heirloom-seeds/

Arklatex
01-06-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't see the harm in trading or even selling seeds. What are they worried about? I grazed the article and only saw mention of weeds growing. Big deal... for some reason Monsanto comes to mind.

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 10:10 AM
I don't see the harm in trading or even selling seeds. What are they worried about? I grazed the article and only saw mention of weeds growing. Big deal... for some reason Monsanto comes to mind.Monsanto control is what this is about. They already went after the farmers now they are coming for the back yard gardener.

Baglady
01-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Yep. This has been going on for a long time now. They can kiss my ass.
We have Watermelon seed in the freezer that has been passed down for at least 30 yrs, with each growing season.
We also have access to Heirloom Corn, for cornmeal.
You can buy Heirloom seed for just about anything, it just costs more.
Funny thing, I remember as a kid, my Mom's compost pile used to grow all sorts of veggies!!

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Yep. This has been going on for a long time now. They can kiss my ass.
We have Watermelon seed in the freezer that has been passed down for at least 30 yrs, with each growing season.
We also have access to Heirloom Corn, for cornmeal.
You can buy Heirloom seed for just about anything, it just costs more.
Funny thing, I remember as a kid, my Mom's compost pile used to grow all sorts of veggies!! Yeah now if you plant say a bigboy tomato and you plant the seeds sure it grows a big ol plant but will never grow a fruit..... now if that's not cornering the market.
Monsanto GMO crap is a slow death for us the reason they are killing us slow is so we can line the pockets the health care and pharmaceutical company's

Baglady
01-06-2015, 12:45 PM
It's a way of life here to share seed, and take cuttings from flowers, etc.
That's how we got our 4 plum tree's and an Apple tree.
Good reminder tho. We need to order Heirloom while there is still a Postal Service to deliver!

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 12:46 PM
It's a way of life here to share seed, and take cuttings from flowers, etc.
That's how we got our 4 plum tree's and an Apple tree.
Good reminder tho. We need to order Heirloom while there is still a Postal Service to deliver!Yeah its getting close to order time.

Inor
01-06-2015, 01:20 PM
We have two big boxes of heirloom seeds packed away. If the state of Minnesota wants to come and take them, my reaction will be similar to them coming for my guns. Or as Charlton Heston would say, give 'em the finger! :D

I learned another really ridiculous law in Minnesota this week: If I offer to share any of my first batch of home brewed beer with any of my friends or family, I am breaking state law! **** that! If this beer turns out well, I may just brew up a keg next. Then next summer have a BBQ for all my friends and serve heirloom veggies, a Boston Butt (that Michelle Obama wants to outlaw) and as much home brew as folks care to drink! Minnesota can kiss my ass!

James m
01-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Boot leg beverages, sounds like fun! When my uncle died they found a few old wooden cider presses in the back. They also found a bunch of 20's and 30's car frames. He had a black 1928 ford with running boards and a 1934 blue convertible with the rumble seat. He would take them to parades.

He also had a 1969 Chevy that had been in the family since 1969. It was offered to me when I was 16 or 17 but it never happened.

Jeep
01-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Question about the Heirloom seeds ? do you just scrape them out say from a tomato, clean and dry them, now you have more seeds?

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Question about the Heirloom seeds ? do you just scrape them out say from a tomato, clean and dry them, now you have more seeds?

Generally Yes if they were heirloom to start with.

Jeep
01-06-2015, 03:16 PM
So what about corn ? I am still a beginning gardener, we have done well with potatoes, beans, peas, and squash. But now corn up here sucks to grow. Feeder corn does well. So you scrape off the Kernels and dry them.

Sparkyprep
01-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Monsanto has WAY too much reach in our government.

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 03:48 PM
So what about corn ? I am still a beginning gardener, we have done well with potatoes, beans, peas, and squash. But now corn up here sucks to grow. Feeder corn does well. So you scrape off the Kernels and dry them.Might be hard pressed to even find a non gmo corn?

Jeep
01-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Ok thanks for that, I will just buy mass amounts of seed packets, and hope for the best.

hawgrider
01-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Ok thanks for that, I will just buy mass amounts of seed packets, and hope for the best.Yeah Im not sure of the method for saving corn. Never done it my garden isnt big enough for corn.

1moretoy
01-06-2015, 06:39 PM
I read somewhere that Mexico won't even take corn from the US due to it being GMO.

James m
01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
A little off topic but still along the same lines.

Genetically modified animals. I heard about the plants and seeds some time ago. But last year I was hearing about modified cows and such. What are your thoughts on that. I feel its too far, if they're going to do anything why not just pump it full of steroids.

Jeep
01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Just wrecking nature, but I don't think they will ever get to enough heads of Cows to cause irreversible damage.

MrsInor
01-07-2015, 10:25 AM
The best book I have found is Seed to Seed on how to save seeds. Many seeds have some special needs as far as preparing them for long term storage. Tomato seeds need to be soaked in water for a few days so the "gelatin" coating comes off before letting them air dry. Some seeds need to be frozen before storing. A good book is worth the money and while Seed to Seed gets pretty technical in parts - it is worth knowing the best way to save seeds.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 05:44 AM
The Story of Seed, Part 1: An Introduction to Seed Saving

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/the-story-of-seed-part1-zbcz1501.aspx#ixzz3OEHsK8jZ