PDA

View Full Version : My favorite folder ... by far

DerBiermeister
01-07-2015, 09:07 AM
This is the SOG FatCat. Bought mine about a year ago. Amazon Prime has it for about half the msrp. It still ain't cheap, but as the old saying goes ... if you want to play with the big dogs, you gotta get off the porch!

The titanium handle makes this big knife lighter than it looks, and IMO it is the perfect weight. I've never had a knife that felt as good in the hand as this one. The quality and precision of this knife is simply unmatched, and that is not overstating.

While it is too big for pocket, it carrys very well on my belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swca2p16r74&feature=player_detailpage

hawgrider
01-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Seki- Japan on blade

No offense but I'm old enough to hate rice.

DerBiermeister
01-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Seki- Japan on blade

No offense but I'm old enough to hate rice.

Yeah -- no offense back at ya .. but I would love to analyze your lifestyle and see just how much you live up to your statement.

Any TVs in your house?

How about your cameras or handycams? Sony or perhaps Nikon? Cannon?

Do you have any DVD players in your house?

Are you telling me (or us) that your Harley has no Japanese parts? Speaking of which, I ride a Honda Goldwing (I can only imagine what you think of that)! Serious biker here with 150,000 miles on it, including to Alaska and back.

just sayin .....

DerBiermeister
01-07-2015, 06:02 PM
SOG uses VG-10 steel blades (from Seki Japan) for a good reason: It happens to be the very best steel in the world for combining the critical attributes they are looking for in the trade-offs between sharpness, retention, and rust resistance. Other top knife manufacturers, such as Syberco, also use VG-10 and other Japanese steel materials such as AUS-8.

"VG-10, Takefu stainless steel, contains cobalt and vanadium. Good wear resistance and rust resistance. Due to small Vanadium content, VG-10 has very fine grain content. Cobalt and Nickel improve its toughness. Overall, it has excellent edge stability. VG-10 is widely used in Japanese kitchen knives, several western makers use it in various folders and fixed blade knives, including Spyderco, Cold Steel, SOG, and Fallkniven."

Sometimes you just have to get on with life. The United States Submarine Service lost 52 subs to the Japs in WWII. Not just the subs, but probably close to 5000 sailors. All of thise boats were "sunk" by depth-charges. There is no more horrible way to die than by implosion of your boat from depth-charging. Does that mean we should not today use -- like we do -- submarine propellers made by Toshiba Corporation (because they have the technology to make the quietest props)? Or we should not use the Nikon periscope lenses and cameras when they are the very best in the world?

Arklatex
01-07-2015, 07:16 PM
While I am usually the first person to holler "BUY AMERICAN!!!" I dont have any issues with Jap crap. And I know their sordid history... if my grandfather who fought them in WW2 can forgive them, I can too... That said, I absolutely will not buy chinese. Id rather spend more than support those commies.

This from an American who works in the endangered field of manufacturing. I make your tires! Buy American when possible!

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Yeah -- no offense back at ya .. but I would love to analyze your lifestyle and see just how much you live up to your statement.

Any TVs in your house?

How about your cameras or handycams? Sony or perhaps Nikon? Cannon?

Do you have any DVD players in your house?

Are you telling me (or us) that your Harley has no Japanese parts? Speaking of which, I ride a Honda Goldwing (I can only imagine what you think of that)! Serious biker here with 150,000 miles on it, including to Alaska and back.

just sayin .....Some things you have a choice on when purchasing. That knife is one of them. Your TV is not. My Hawg has 95k + on it. It is not my first bike Ive had several. Never road rice on the road. Before Harleys I rode triumph's.

Never forget ! Ever! Jus saying.

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Some things you have a choice on when purchasing. That knife is one of them. Your TV is not. My Hawg has 95k + on it. It is not my first bike Ive had several. Never road rice on the road. Before Harleys I rode triumph's.

Never forget ! Ever! Jus saying.

Like I already said .. a good part of that Harley you ride is Japanese.

I'm not old enough to have fought in WWII, but I was a war baby. I have always been a student of the war in the Pacific and hold the same loathing (perhaps even more than you) for the Japanese of that time. But in my long career as an engineer, I have had to do business with the Japanese and have made about ten trips to Japan. I of course could have refused but that would've been kind of stupid, eay? I no more hold a grudge against the Japanese people of today than I do the Germans -- a country btw that I absolutely love.

Enuf of this. I posted about a fantastic folder (without equal IMHO) from an American company, and the first reply I get is from someone who craps all over it. I'll say to you -- if you can find another folder that is at least equal to the FatCat -- then great, go buy it. But don't hold your breath while looking.

Arklatex
01-08-2015, 07:29 AM
To each their own. My all time favorite folder is the spyderco pm2. G10 scales, s30v steel, super solid lockup, made in usa and pricy... But I have some foreign made knives that are excellent as well. Including a couple sogs. I think the seal and seal pup are still made in usa? Those are great blades as well.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Like I already said .. a good part of that Harley you ride is Japanese.

I'm not old enough to have fought in WWII, but I was a war baby. I have always been a student of the war in the Pacific and hold the same loathing (perhaps even more than you) for the Japanese of that time. But in my long career as an engineer, I have had to do business with the Japanese and have made about ten trips to Japan. I of course could have refused but that would've been kind of stupid, eay? I no more hold a grudge against the Japanese people of today than I do the Germans -- a country btw that I absolutely love.

Enuf of this. I posted about a fantastic folder (without equal IMHO) from an American company, and the first reply I get is from someone who craps all over it. I'll say to you -- if you can find another folder that is at least equal to the FatCat -- then great, go buy it. But don't hold your breath while looking.I didn't crap on your thread I voiced my opinion which I am entitled to. And my Harley may have some jap junk on it but it will always be more American then a Goldwing.

Here ya go this is just the tip of the iceburg. Only 1 link of many http://www.northamericanknives.com/usa_made_knives

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Including a couple sogs. I think the seal and seal pup are still made in usa? Those are great blades as well.

Similar to the FatCat, the SOG Seal and Seal Pup both have Japanese steel blades . They have Aus-8, while the FatCat uses VG-10.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Similar to the FatCat, the Seal and Seal Pup both use Japanese steel in their blades. They use Aus-8, while the FatCat uses VG-10.Jap Steel ? Yeah they bought that steel from us. Some of it is still stored here on our land in Michigan.

Yeah try not to get all pissy about a differing opinion.

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I didn't crap on your thread I voiced my opinion which I am entitled to. And my Harley may have some jap junk on it but it will always be more American then a Goldwing.

Here ya go this is just the tip of the iceburg. Only 1 link of many http://www.northamericanknives.com/usa_made_knives

I asked you to produce a knife comparable to the FatCat. You gave me a list that predominately consists of Bucks and Kershaws (with a few other brands thrown in) that ... quite frankly are good knives, of cheap prices, but in terms of exceptional quality, can't hold a candle to the SOG FatCat. Buck, with rare exceptions, uses 420HC steel in all their knives. Again, a good blade, but not GREAT. To compare that steel with VG-10 is almost laughable.

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Jap Steel ? Yeah they bought that steel from us. Some of it is still stored here on our land in Michigan.

Yeah try not to get all pissy about a differing opinion.

Talking Aus-8 steel. Your source please proving that it is American. Every bit of research I do shows it to be Japanese produced by the Aichi Steel Corporation.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 09:03 AM
I asked you to produce a knife comparable to the FatCat. You gave me a list that predominately consists of Bucks and Kershaws (with a few other brands thrown in) that ... quite frankly are good knives, of cheap prices, but in terms of exceptional quality, can't hold a candle to the SOG FatCat. Buck, with rare exceptions, uses 420HC steel in all their knives. Again, a good blade, but not GREAT. To compare that steel with VG-10 is almost laughable.

Now -- as to your issue with Goldwings. I hate to be the messenger here, but any Goldwing will eat the lunch of a HOG ... in most every category you can think of (speed, acceleration, RELIABILITY, comfort, etc.). Hellsbells, it'll even outperform the Beemers. BTW, my GL1500 was made in America at Marion Ohio. (Newer 1800s are back being made in Japan.)
If you are ever planning on doing some serious long hauls -- you might want to reconsider. (I see this topic quickly overtaking the knife discussion, so we probably ought to start a new thread on it.)Dude your reaching for a straw here . Gold wing plant in Ohio closed it was assembly only most of the money went back to Japan. Your Knowledge of modern Harley Davidson is not even close. My Blockhead Evo Has had nothing done to it except oil changes and tires In 95+K It still has the original belt. If it wasn't 2 degrees here in the north id ride it to the west coast tomorrow. Your reading compression sucks I gave you one USA knife link of many did you not read that part ?. If you love jap crap that's your problem not mine I wouldn't be caught dead riding that singer sewing machine you call a motorcycle. Good day sir! Enjoy stirring your uncle bens rice with your Rice Knife. Your awful pissy when the conversation doesn't go your way. Must be to many rice carbs in your diet.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 09:21 AM
So .. out comes the DUDE stuff. (That is always telling on an internet forum.) Looks like I touched a nerve with your POS, overpriced HOGs. Well so be it. If I see you on the road, it'll be through my rearview mirror. :mocking:Tortoise and the hare .... I win have nice day LMAO!

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Tortoise and the hare .... I win have nice day LMAO!

Ok -- I agree to have a nice day. But it would be immensely better if you answer my one question?

I repeat:

Jap Steel [Aus-8]? Yeah they bought that steel from us. Some of it is still stored here on our land in Michigan.

Your source please proving that it is American. Every bit of research I do shows it to be Japanese produced by the Aichi Steel Corporation.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Ok -- I agree to have a nice day. But it would be immensely better if you answer my one question?

I repeat:

Your source please proving that it is American. Every bit of research I do shows it to be Japanese produced by the Aichi Steel Corporation.My source is my son in law hes a Trucker and hauls steel. The steel is sitting on our soil in Michigan owned by Japs. I don't have a fancy website to satisfy your curiosity but that alone does not disprove my statement.

Arklatex
01-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Hey now! Gotta love Harleys! If I had a bike (maybe in a few years) it would be a Harley! It's legendary, iconic and just plain badass! Don't see too many babes getting wet over goldwings... they might be great bikes but I don't care. Lol.

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 11:45 AM
My source is my son in law hes a Trucker and hauls steel. The steel is sitting on our soil in Michigan owned by Japs. I don't have a fancy website to satisfy your curiosity but that alone does not disprove my statement.

Hmmm -- "sitting on soil owned by Japs" is quite different than what you earlier alluded to. It doesn't take a third-grader to figure out that this raw material -- iron and/or carbon, etc. (steel after all, in its final form, is not a raw material), is shipped to Japan and used in their final product -- known to the world as AUS-8.

Not sure why you even went down this path?

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Hmmm -- "sitting on soil owned by Japs" is quite different than what you earlier alluded to. It doesn't take a third-grader to figure out that this raw material -- iron and/or carbon, etc. (steel after all, in its final form, is not a raw material), is shipped to Japan and used in their final product -- known to the world as AUS-8.

Not sure why you even went down this path?No you went down the path when I didn't praise your jap knife and you still cant let it go . Id say your the one with the jap love issue which is very typical with the goldwing crowd they also drive jap cars typically and justify it in there minds because of the jap crap assembly taking place in the southern states. I'm a Michigander the car capitol of the country And I don't drive jap crap. Now how much longer are you going to keep pissing and whining ? I'm mean really hmmm discussion forum differing opinion ....OH MY!

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Yep .. badass is the thing to be. Just don't do what most all Harley riders do (Hawg, you listening?), and that is either go without a helmet or wear one of those stupid thin black plastic lids with skulls pasted all over. Real smart there -- yessiree Bob! Dumbasses all.

As for babes -- I am unfortunately beyond the babe stage. But I AM into comfort, reliability, and mitigating my risks. You won't find many HOGs on the road to the Artic Circle at Prudhoe Bay. The road is nothing but wet cement mud -- not very conducive for belts or chains.More non truth. Ever read the article about the guy in his 80's that rode a single Harley all over the country with couple of trips to Alaska ? He put over 300k On a Harley with no work other than scheduled maintenance..... Yeah didn't think so. Harley wanted that bike back so the old guy gave it to them to tear apart Harley Davidson gave the man a brand new one. Honda ever do that ......doubt it.

Yeah no Harley's could ever handle snow and mud...... you ever visit ADV and read about Wes Webers Family?

http://www.rickramsey.net/Originallg/Trailing.jpg
http://www.rickramsey.net/Originallg/WinterRiding.jpg
http://www.rickramsey.net/Originallg/Mudding.jpg

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Who's the one whining? You are DUDE. You got your ass handed to you in this discussion and you can't stand it.

Just because you have no recognition of what is quality, go sell it elsewhere.

"I'm a Michigander the car capitol of the country"

Not that there is funny ... I don't care who you are.Ok I realize you have dementia. Your so called facts about Harleys are skewed.

Yeah you met the nicest people on a Honda ...Pffft LMAO ROTF

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 12:33 PM
You present one guy. Do you know anything about a Poisson distribution? All you are demonstrating is that there are always outliers -- things that beat the odds. Have to admit -- your guy was a brave dude, relying on his POS Harley to hold up.Yeah what ever your just still pissed Harley riders wouldn't wave at you rice riders in the 60's and 70's and thru most of the 80's

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Ok I realize you have dementia. Your so called facts about Harleys are skewed.

Yeah you met the nicest people on a Honda ...Pffft LMAO ROTF

Ok -- in all seriousness, I have never in my biker life -- a long time -- ever gone after a Harley rider, even though I've run into an awful lot of bias against Goldwingers. I really don't give a shit about it. I simply like riding, a lot of riding. It could even be on a Harley. I have two friends that I ride with that own BOTH. But .. for some reason, you seemed especially vulnerable today as the knife discussion evolved, so I jumped in.

I apologize if I upset you. As such, I am going to go back right now and delete all the bike crap. Up to you if you want to follow suit.

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Ok -- in all seriousness, I have never in my biker life -- a long time -- ever gone after a Harley rider, even though I've run into an awful lot of bias against Goldwingers. I really don't give a shit about it. I simply like riding, a lot of riding. It could even be on a Harley. I have two friends that I ride with that own BOTH. But .. for some reason, you seemed especially vulnerable today as the knife discussion evolved, so I jumped in.

I apologize if I upset you. As such, I am going to go back right now and delete all the bike crap. Up to you if you want to follow suit.I'm sorry but you didn't upset me I live for this stuff it keeps the blood flowing. Why delete your comments you write it you own it is my philosophy. Are we done arguing now or not ?

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm sorry but you didn't upset me I live for this stuff it keeps the blood flowing. Why delete your comments you write you own it is my philosophy. Are we done arguing now or not ?

I am deleting the Bike comments for two reasons

One -- they are interfering with the good discussion on knife steel, and two

I was wrong for being the instigator by the twisting the knife (no pun intended) on the Harley stuff. Had I not introduced the Goldwing into the discussion, you would have never known.

As for your last question here "Are we done arguing now or not ?" -- No. I intend to continue to educate you on quality knife steel. :bounce:

hawgrider
01-08-2015, 01:06 PM
I am deleting the Bike comments for two reasons

One -- they are interfering with the good discussion on knife steel, and two

I was wrong for being the instigator by the twisting the knife (no pun intended) on the Harley stuff. Had I not introduced the Goldwing into the discussion, you would have never known.

As for your last question here "Are we done arguing now or not ?" -- No. I intend to continue to educate you on quality knife steel. :bounce:
Sigh....... mine stay. If a mod wipes them then I have no control. I own what I say. :pirateflag:

DerBiermeister
01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Sigh....... mine stay. If a mod wipes them then I have no control. I own what I say. :pirateflag:

Boy you got that one right.