PDA

View Full Version : Anyone canning this year?

Broncosfan
09-01-2020, 12:47 PM
So I'm not canning nothing close to what I do usually. Wasn't becasue of the Covid thing just everything things else is just more important and didn't have the time to take care of the garden. So I bought tomatoes to make extra salsa. Lucky that I had a supply of lids becasue I always buy extra every year. Canning supplies are very limited here in Ohio to say the least. Any one else having trouble finding lids or other canning items where they live?

hawgrider
09-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Bought some lids and and a couple jars in May and canned beef.

https://i.imgur.com/IjaJMRv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XhdGuhJ.jpg

Broncosfan
09-01-2020, 01:25 PM
I'm going to buy a whole beef once I get this estate settled. Looking forward to some good steaks

Innkeeper
09-01-2020, 03:48 PM
I bought extras in the spring no problems then, haven't looked recently because of the mask issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sparkyprep
09-01-2020, 04:18 PM
No problem finding supplies here. Wife has been doing some canning.

Inor
09-01-2020, 07:02 PM
We have not had to buy canning supplies (beyond salt etc.) for years. I got Mrs Inor a case each of the standard and wide mouth reusable canning lids. Those suckers are AWESOME! We have had ours for about 10 years now so they have all been reused multiple times without any issues at all.

https://reusablecanninglids.com/

Broncosfan
09-01-2020, 07:38 PM
We have not had to buy canning supplies (beyond salt etc.) for years. I got Mrs Inor a case each of the standard and wide mouth reusable canning lids. Those suckers are AWESOME! We have had ours for about 10 years now so they have all been reused multiple times without any issues at all.

https://reusablecanninglids.com/

I have seen those but have never tried them. Do you have to replace the actual rubber seal part every time you can? Or is that part reusable also? If so have you ever had to replace any of the rubber seals if so how long did they last?

LivoniaDan
08-01-2021, 11:46 AM
Wife and I - First canning of the year...
Bell Peppers in Tomato Sauce.
It's an Italian thing.....

Chiefster23
08-01-2021, 12:00 PM
Hawg! Care to share your recipes for the canned ground beef? And do you use extra lean or 80/20 beef?

Mad Trapper
08-01-2021, 12:27 PM
I've got jars/supplies but tollly screwed with weather

14" of rain this month

Jester-ND
08-01-2021, 02:04 PM
I've got jars/supplies but tollly screwed with weather

14" of rain this month

totally opposite here.... haven't had a drop in over a month... grasshoppers getting us here.

been looking for lids since mid Feb... hit-or-miss.. but buy whatever we find. have plenty, so not needing them.

Dwight55
08-01-2021, 02:27 PM
North central Ohio . . . plenty of lids and rings for the most part.

Bought 6 dozen rings & lids the other day along with 5 dozen just lids. Left plenty on the shelf . . . no limits listed either place.

Canning meat is just too easy. Clean & sanitize everything of course . . . cut up the meat into bite size chunks . . . STUFF IT IN THE JARS up to the shoulder . . . fill with either broth . . . buillion . . . or non clorinated water to fill in the voids and just cover the meat.

Into the pressure cooker at 10 # . . . 75 min for pints 90 min for quarts.

Easiest canning I've ever done.

May God bless,
Dwight

Mad Trapper
08-02-2021, 01:25 PM
My cabbages are starting get good heads. Will be making kraut and canning and/or freezing that.

stevekozak
08-02-2021, 07:49 PM
My cabbages are starting get good heads. Will be making kraut and canning and/or freezing that.

Am curious as to your kraut method.

Mad Trapper
08-02-2021, 08:29 PM
Am curious as to your kraut method.

I have an old fashion hand shredder. Cut out the cores and quarter before shredding. I shred portions that can fit in a mixing bowl, weigh out portions (25 lbs total) and mix it well with a measured portions of canning salt (3/4 cup total). Mix it well.

For fermenter I use food grade 5-gal pickle buckets. I forget how many pounds you need to fill the bucket? Pack portions of the mix into the bucket, and tightly pack down each layer added, I use a coffee mug. Fill the bucket to ~5" from top, and weight down with a dinner plate ~diameter of the bucket. To seal out air and weight the plate down better, I fill a turkey roasting bag with water and tie that off (keep the water out), then place it inside the bucket. Check the mix the next day, salt should have drawn out enough water to cover the cabbage. If not add a little bit of brine, 1 1/2 tbsp salt /quart. Some people boil/sterilize the brine. Keep the bucket in a cool place ~65-70 oF. Too hot and it will get mushy, too cold slow to ferment.

Kraut will be done in 3-6 weeks. You can add other vegetables to the mix for flavor, don't have recipes handy now.

You can can the kraut, or put the fresh stuff in sterile canning jars in the fridge. 25-lbs makes ~ 9 quarts

My canning/pickling/fermenting books are at my other place, be here is a good reference you can download from USDA.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE06_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf

stevekozak
08-02-2021, 08:33 PM
I have an old fashion hand shredder. Cut out the cores and quarter before shredding. I shred portions that can fit in a mixing bowl, weigh out portions (25 lbs total) and mix it well with a measured portions of canning salt (3/4 cup total). Mix it well.

For fermenter I use food grade 5-gal pickle buckets. I forget how many pounds you need to fill the bucket? Pack portions of the mix into the bucket, and tightly pack down each layer added, I use a coffee mug. Fill the bucket to ~5" from top, and weight down with a dinner plate ~diameter of the bucket. To seal out air and weight the plate down better, I fill a turkey roasting bag with water and tie that off (keep the water out), then place it inside the bucket. Check the mix the next day, salt should have drawn out enough water to cover the cabbage. If not add a little bit of brine, 1 1/2 tbsp salt /quart. Some people boil/sterilize the brine. Keep the bucket in a cool place ~65-70 oF. Too hot and it will get mushy, too cold slow to ferment.

Kraut will be done in 3-6 weeks. You can add other vegetables to the mix for flavor, don't have recipes handy now.

You can can the kraut, or put the fresh stuff in sterile canning jars in the fridge. 25-lbs makes ~ 9 quarts

My canning/pickling/fermenting books are at my other place, be here is a good reference you can download from USDA.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE06_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf

I have never made my own kraut. My mother was good at it and my grandmother was genius at it. Maybe this is the year I need to finally try to make it. I like the simplicity of your method.

Mad Trapper
08-02-2021, 09:01 PM
I have never made my own kraut. My mother was good at it and my grandmother was genius at it. Maybe this is the year I need to finally try to make it. I like the simplicity of your method.

You can scale the batches down to try it out. 2-gal ice cream buckets work good, or even wide mouth quart canning jars

My grandparents on my Mother's were both from Poland, had 11 kids on a farm. We got all kinds of great food, vegetable and animal. Grandma cooked on an Glenwood wood kitchen stove. Grandpa made great sausage/kielbasas and barrels of hard cider. When the whole family got together, it was a grand time, feasting, drinking, and hooting and hollering. Even shooting matches before the cider barrel got tapped.

I lost count of how many 1st and 2nd cousins I have, but the kids all had a great time. There was a farm pond fed by a spring fed brook, for swimming and had brook trout in it too. Grandma's desserts were often home bakes pies and fresh ice cream.

Other good references for food preservation

https://nchfp.uga.edu/

https://extension.psu.edu/food-safety-and-quality/home-food-safety/see-all-home-food-safety

Also when mixing with the salt, easier to measure "The exact ratio of 3 tablespoons of canning or pickling salt to 5 pounds of shredded cabbage controls pathogen growth. Changing the proportions could result in an unsafe product."

Chiefster23
08-03-2021, 04:24 AM
My peaches are just about ripe and they are next on my canning list. I can fresh peaches in white grape juice. I also make peach jelly.
Both my beet and carrot crop pretty much failed this year. I have few to can. But the few that grew are ready to go so they will be in the mix this week also.

Slippy
08-03-2021, 04:59 AM
We put up some Pickles, Tomato Sauce, Tomato's and Candied Jalapeno's. The Candied Japs will most likely all be given away by Thanksgiving. Everyone loves Mrs Slippy's Candied Jalapeno's!

Other than 1 Tobasco Pepper Plant and some Okra, our garden is pretty much done. Too much rain this year.

We had a nice little crop of Carrots but ended up turning them into Doggie Treats. Whoda thunk that Australian Cattle Dog's loved Carrots? HA!

Broncosfan
08-03-2021, 06:34 AM
I was so busy I somehow missed starting the tomatoes we use for salsa. So I guess we will have to buy some roma style if we make any this year. Our cucumbers have done amazingly well. I would guesstimate we've picked 200 lbs plus. We've made 80 pints of bread and butter already. Corn is getting close to picking time. Tomatoes for sandwiches are late. Lots of tomatoes but the plants look rather bad all the rain spread disease so I have no idea how long they will last. Cantaloupe are ripening everyday now.

shootbrownelk
08-03-2021, 10:15 PM
I used to make my own sauerkraut, but haven't for decades now. I have a couple of RedWing crocks that I used. It always turned out great, not sure why I stopped. The stuff you buy in the grocery stores is pretty bad. Franks is the best of the bunch.

NewRiverGeorge
08-04-2021, 12:27 PM

First batch of tomatoes and beans this season.

hawgrider
08-04-2021, 01:12 PM

First batch of tomatoes and beans this season.

Full jars are a beautiful thing!