PDA

View Full Version : Make a Run for the Border!

Inor
09-04-2020, 11:25 PM
Mrs Inor made me go to Wally World with her today. I HATE going to Wally World (or anywhere else for that matter)! But happy wife - happy life...

So after I got my picture taken with the Walmart robot Zamboni, we found ourselves in the hot sauce aisle.

They now carry gen-u-ine Taco Bell hot sauce at Wally World! It is not that Taco Bell hot sauce is the best; it is not by far. But it does make me nostalgic for early days when I was so broke I couldn't afford to even buy a decent bottle of hot sauce.

This evening Mrs Inor was not feeling great so she decided to skip supper. That left me with a decision to make on what to have for my supper. Several months ago I found a site that claimed to have THE recipe for the old Taco Bell Chilitos. Even when we were so poor that an evening at Taco Bell was considered "good livin'", Mrs Inor never cared for it. So this was a prime opportunity for me to experiment.

https://www.redbeansanderic.com/chili-cheese-burrito-inspired-by-the-taco-bell-chilito/

If you came of age in the late 70's or early 80's (when Ronald Reagan was president and life was good), I am certain you remember Chilitos. They were about 59 cents a piece and were the only really good thing Taco Bell ever sold. Taco Bell claims they were discontinued in the early 90's for marketing reasons but I am certain the EPA must have had something to do with it!

Anyway, I made them for myself this evening. I have to say, they are not *EXACTLY* the same, but they are as close as anything I have tasted in 30 years. They do not have the distinctly chemical flavor Taco Bell was known for. But that could be because I was forced by circumstance to use real meat and real cheese. Otherwise, they were pretty dang close to the real thing! I only finished supper about an hour ago and I can already feel the pressure starting to build down below. I got a feeling it is going to be a musical night at M.T. Acres!

Dwight55
09-05-2020, 06:35 AM
Yep . . . . gonna try that . . .

Lots of cold winter days coming up . . . will be painting pretty much entire inside of house this winter . . . has not happened for . . . well . . . too many years . . . needs a "re-juvenating".

That is the kind of meal I like when I'm working . . . hearty, tasty, filling . . . but not overboard on any of it.

May God bless,
Dwight

BucketBack
09-05-2020, 07:10 AM
I bought paint for my home in January and never started. That's January 2018

Prepared One
09-05-2020, 08:19 AM
You know, after all these years of being on the road and traveling here to get there, to this very day I have never ever eaten at a Taco Bell. Go figure