PDA

View Full Version : Whatever You Do, Don’t Chop Down This Backyard Tree

hawgrider
10-20-2020, 06:16 AM
If you live in the eastern US or the southern parts of eastern Canada an important tree to know is Slippery Elm, Ulmus rubra. While nowadays Slippery Elm is primarily known for its medicinal uses, it is also edible and useful for artisanal crafts which should put it high on your list of plants to find growing in your area.

The traditions of using Slippery Elm go way back. Native Americans used the tree medicinally and the Founding Fathers knew the value of it as well. It is said that George Washington’s troops survived the winter at Valley Forge by eating a gruel made from Slippery Elm bark. Let’s not forget all the wonderful benefits this tree can offer us.
https://www.askaprepper.com/whatever-you-do-dont-chop-down-this-backyard-tree/

BucketBack
10-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Slightly off topic, but I found a forest of elm yesterday during a walk on The North Country Trail.

Innkeeper
10-20-2020, 09:27 AM
I am going to have to check my elms this spring I have several growing in the woods on the back of my acre I now need to verify the type after that article.

Thanks for the good info Hawg.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BucketBack
10-20-2020, 09:33 AM
I've been told to look around elms and birch to find morals

Innkeeper
10-20-2020, 09:35 AM
I've been told to look around elms and birch to find moralsI already have morals, they are the reason I don't vote democrat.

red442joe
10-20-2020, 09:55 AM
I already have morals, they are the reason I don't vote democrat.

I see what you did there! :)

Joe

Inor
10-20-2020, 07:27 PM
Do they taste like peas?

BucketBack
10-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Do they taste like peas?

But I'd leave the sweet stuff to sumbody else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ialhaxhr7iA

Album was called Overnite Sensation, since Frank brought Ruth Underwood and Jean Luc Ponty in for the vinyl

shootbrownelk
10-22-2020, 09:13 AM
I've been told to look around elms and birch to find morals

Dead elm trees and old orchards are where to look.