PDA

View Full Version : "New" lamp

MoreAmmoOK
11-27-2020, 08:10 PM
Rayo Center Draft Lamp made in early 1900's.
This came in today and it actually works, very well in fact. I have a soft spot for old stuff that works as good as new.
I'm sure that many of ya'll are quite familiar with these lamps but here in Oklahoma old stuff is rare, all the old stuff got wiped out by the dust bowl.
This one is nickel plated brass, I'm not sure if I'll clean and polish it or not, it's perfectly functional as is but the wife likes pretty. I may make it into a pretty and functional lamp. There is a learning curve to make it function well. I've got a couple more in various states of complete coming. They'll be great for outdoor night time gatherings until a power outage makes them necessary.
I have dozens of solar charged LED lights and don't really "need" this type of light but there's nothing wrong with having a backup for your backup.

hag
11-27-2020, 08:14 PM
Very beautiful and I love the tall chimney...l love old lamps!

MoreAmmoOK
11-27-2020, 08:24 PM
I'm just now learning about oil lamps. The center draft lamps produce much more light than typical flat wick types. Not to mention the heat you get too.

hawgrider
11-27-2020, 08:37 PM
Wow that's a keeper!

MountainGirl
11-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Wow, I've never seen or heard of a center draft lamp (Tom neither). Without a wick...is it just that the fumes come up and burn? Or?

MoreAmmoOK
11-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Wow, I've never seen or heard of a center draft lamp (Tom neither). Without a wick...is it just that the fumes come up and burn? Or?

It has a tube shaped wick. The wick slides over a tube that runs through the oil tank and draws air through the vent holes in the base. Combustion air comes from the tube inside the wick.

Innkeeper
11-27-2020, 09:21 PM
That is Beautiful, I love the old oil lamps have several myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hag
11-27-2020, 09:27 PM

It's a round wick that runs around the circumference of the chimney base

MountainGirl
11-27-2020, 10:15 PM
It has a tube shaped wick. The wick slides over a tube that runs through the oil tank and draws air through the vent holes in the base. Combustion air comes from the tube inside the wick.

Does the wick itself burn, i.e., function in the same way a flat wick does?

Edit: Ah, got it. I googled & saw a pic of the wick. It's the same thing, only different.

Gambit
11-28-2020, 06:08 PM
if i had land to have a cabin
i would rather have a good oil lamp/ lantern over anything using batteries
it has this romantic feel about them

MountainGirl
11-28-2020, 06:59 PM
if i had land to have a cabin
i would rather have a good oil lamp/ lantern over anything using batteries
it has this romantic feel about them

It does, very much so.
I remember another life, living in town, big ice storm of '95 knocked out power. We had only candles for light and it was really nice. When the power flashed back on a week later it was almost obscene; the bright lights, the loud hum of the fridge & tv roaring on... I swore that someday I'd live differently. It took 20 years to get here (and finding the right man) and I'll never leave this mountain, and the nights of oil lamps, candles and the light of the moon.

Gambit
11-29-2020, 01:32 PM
I remember another life, living in town, big ice storm of '95 knocked out power.

back of 10-13-08 , thats friday the 13th!!!
most of western NY suffered a snow storm that taken out the power ,i lived on the westside of buffalo we seen no power for almost 3 weeks
we used candles and a oil lamp in out small apartment and a flashlight for when it was time to go potty

this was my mother/father house so they lived down stairs in the big apartment
taken camping coolers and few bins and placed frozen stuff in them and buried them in the snow "there was a lot of snow"

hate to say it but it was fun, played old games etc etc etc, and my job had me working OT at 4 hsbc banks so i made out bring home 900 a week "best boss ever was paying me over double plus OT"

only thing that i can say that sucked was my daughter was 6 month old at the time