PDA

View Full Version : How To Cut 550 Cord Without A Knife

hawgrider
01-12-2015, 11:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAhaFkwf0M#t=200

Reptilicus
01-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Hmmm. that works but I generally use a bic lighter to cut it, that way I can pinch the ends together and prevent it from fraying!!! Just a thought!!!

Pauls
01-17-2015, 10:01 PM
I would like to see the guy on the video actually use 550 cord to do that! The ouside sheath would go and then you would have a mess as the inside strands broke one at a time all at different lengths. The frayed out mess you end up with is only suited to make brushes with.

James m
01-17-2015, 10:36 PM
I still carry a roll of mason line for my rope needs, yes i know very light on the strength.

Mason line is a twist of multiple smaller threads. So the point being, i tie two tight knots in the line, and cut between the knots so the threads dont separate.

Would that work here too? IDK id just find a rock. :rolleyes:

Infidel
01-18-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm surprised at how fast the line was cut. Me personally I always have at least one knife, usually multiple. If I have pants on I have a knife so I would probably never use the trick but it can't hurt to know it I guess. I tend to agree with Paul though seems like it would be a frayed mess.

-Infidel

Montana Rancher
01-18-2015, 08:53 PM
I've used that "trick" to bust open hay bales for xxx amount of years on "bailing twine", I do not doubt that it could be used on 550 parcord, the concept it the same.

Friction severs the rope.