PDA

View Full Version : Weld with car batteries neat trick in a emergency using jumper cables

hawgrider
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjH8I1oKNMY

Infidel
01-12-2015, 12:07 PM
I had a shop teacher many years ago that explained that this could be done in a pinch. He also cautioned us to use extreme caution because car batteries are prone to explosion when shorted. Not sure if this is the case with a sealed battery or a deep cycle battery like this guy uses but be careful if you try this one. Use the longest jumper cable you can find to minimize the danger to you if one of those batteries decides to explode (not that I think it would help much). Making actual welding cables might be a better choice as well as putting some kind of shield between you and the batteries.

-Infidel

hawgrider
01-12-2015, 12:18 PM
I had a shop teacher many years ago that explained that this could be done in a pinch. He also cautioned us to use extreme caution because car batteries are prone to explosion when shorted. Not sure if this is the case with a sealed battery or a deep cycle battery like this guy uses but be careful if you try this one. Use the longest jumper cable you can find to minimize the danger to you if one of those batteries decides to explode (not that I think it would help much). Making actual welding cables might be a better choice as well as putting some kind of shield between you and the batteries.

-InfidelIve been within a couple feet of a exploding battery And am not disfigured and very much alive to talk about it. Yeah it ain't pretty. But The idea could be priceless in a pinch. Id have the battery's behind a barrier before using. Even a canvas tarp may keep the acid rain to a minimum.

Oh and my shop teachers name was Mr Enis. Never guess what we called him.......

Infidel
01-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Ive been within a couple feet of a exploding battery And am not disfigured and very much alive to talk about it. Yeah it ain't pretty. But The idea could be priceless in a pinch. Id have the battery's behind a barrier before using. Even a canvas tarp may keep the acid rain to a minimum.

Oh and my shop teachers name was Mr Enis. Never guess what we called him.......

I used to have a neighbor who was permanently disabled when a car batter exploded while jumping it. I still don't know how it happened, I would imagine that he crossed the positives and negatives between the 2 batteries. You're 100% right the information could be priceless and I would absolutely try it, I was just urging anyone who does it to use caution. Hell I might not even wait for the SHTF to try it, I may give it a shot so I have a better idea of how to do it in an emergency.

-Infidel

MI.oldguy
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
I have seen it done in Washington state when we were affiliated with a 4X4 club.its ok for a quickie off road repair but,you cannot control the amperage output and therefore you cannot control the penetration.it takes repetetion and a certain techneque.

Its a getcha-by repair.it does work in a pinch though if you have some DRY rod and a welding shield(helmet).there are battery powered welders on the market for wheelers (4X4 nuts)
that can work much better but are pricey.

I had a car battery take a poof in my face once,I heard the crackle when the dolt at the other vehicle connected the battery wrong,luckily I stepped back and turned my head. no battery acid on my eyes but,a little acid burn to my ear and some bleached hair and a ruined levi jacket from the acid drops.dolt got his nose re-arranged. when jump starting another vehicle,make sure YOU are the only person on both the vehicles and make sure YOU know wtf you are doing.

jeff70
01-13-2015, 07:54 PM
I have seen this done and it works pretty good, But as stated be careful with shorting the batteries. I had one blow up in my face about 15 years ago, NOT a fun experience.