PDA

View Full Version : The Best Poison Ivy Remedy in the World

hawgrider
01-13-2015, 08:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qniGwqHDa5Y#t=11

Arklatex
01-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Here is another one. It is not the topic of the video but he makes a poison ivy remedy twords the end as an example of the many uses of grain alcohol. This ties in nicely with your thread on black walnut ink!

http://youtu.be/_lv7XDAL1ug

hawgrider
01-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Pretty slick with the black walnut leaves!

Infidel
01-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Jewelweed is my favorite cure for Poison Ivy. You can rub the leaves over the affected area and it will remove the oil of the poison ivy plant. You can also boil the whole plant (gather up a bunch of it) in a big pot then strain through a T-shirt and use the liquid to relieve poison ivy. For small areas soak a washcloth in it and apply directly to the area for about an hour or so. For large affected areas fill a tub with as much of it as you can and soak in the tub for an hour. When I was about 8 or 9 I was covered with poison ivy head to toe, my mother dropped me in a tub full of Jewelweed liquid for an hour. Itching stopped immediately and within a couple of days the rash was completely gone. You can also freeze the Jewelweed liquid for later use, this is great for early spring before the plants are developed. The biggest problem with Jewelweed is that it grows right in the middle of poison ivy so make sure your skin is protected before you go collect the plants.

-Infidel

longrider
01-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Thank you guys, for great tips and videos! I have access to black walnut and have lots of plantain in my yard. I wonder if you could used dried plantain for winter use as an astringent, etc. I wonder if it would work? I would guess yes, with less effectiveness. I never knew grain alcohol had so many uses. Again, thanks for posting this info.

Deebo
01-15-2015, 02:19 AM
Hmm, video plays but no sound for me, I'm using an HTC one pos cellphone

justlooking
01-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Thank you guys, for great tips and videos! I have access to black walnut and have lots of plantain in my yard. I wonder if you could used dried plantain for winter use as an astringent, etc. I wonder if it would work? I would guess yes, with less effectiveness. I never knew grain alcohol had so many uses. Again, thanks for posting this info.

Best way to store up plantain

Healing salve:*In large non-metallic pan place one*pound of*cut up fresh plantain leaves, 1 cup of olive oil, raw coconut oil or pure*lard. Put lid on the pot, cook on low. Cook until all the leaves are*mush & the oil has turned green. strain before oil cools too much. Sore in airtight container. Use on bug bites/stings, rashes & other skin conditions, wounds & sores, sunburns & burns, moisturizing cream, night/wrinkle cream & as a chest rub.*Optional:*add essential oils after cooled.

Baglady
01-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Best way to store up plantain

Healing salve:*In large non-metallic pan place one*pound of*cut up fresh plantain leaves, 1 cup of olive oil, raw coconut oil or pure*lard. Put lid on the pot, cook on low. Cook until all the leaves are*mush & the oil has turned green. strain before oil cools too much. Sore in airtight container. Use on bug bites/stings, rashes & other skin conditions, wounds & sores, sunburns & burns, moisturizing cream, night/wrinkle cream & as a chest rub.*Optional:*add essential oils after cooled.Thanks for the tip. Sounds pretty easy to do.

justlooking
01-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the tip. Sounds pretty easy to do.
It really is.

My children know plantain. And how to use it.
If they get stung by anything while outside they chew on some plantain and spread the green goop on themselves.

Or they just spit on each other. Lol

Baglady
01-26-2015, 09:48 PM
It really is.

My children know plantain. And how to use it.
If they get stung by anything while outside they chew on some plantain and spread the green goop on themselves.

Or they just spit on each other. LolAwsome!! Teach them as much as you can while they're still young. After about 16, they don't think you know anything...

justlooking
01-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Awsome!! Teach them as much as you can while they're still young. After about 16, they don't think you know anything...
I only have them part time but have from 5-17 for ages. Younger ones still listen. Older ones think I am dumberthan a box of rocks

Baglady
01-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I only have them part time but have from 5-17 for ages. Younger ones still listen. Older ones think I am dumberthan a box of rocksI feel your pain, buddy. Mine is 27. She told me the other night, that the epi-pen was for epilectic shock...(!!) I said, NO, its for Anaphalactic shock, and it's Epinepherine.
I got on this puter, brought it up, proved her wrong. But then, I was accused of always having to be right!!
Good Luck... :worried:

justlooking
01-26-2015, 10:06 PM
I feel your pain, buddy. Mine is 27. She told me the other night, that the epi-pen was for epilectic shock...(!!) I said, NO, its for Anaphalactic shock, and it's Epinepherine.
I got on this puter, brought it up, proved her wrong. But then, I was accused of always having to be right!!
Good Luck... :worried:
Well. I have a few of them in that mix. So I am hoping at least a few will agree with me

Baglady
01-26-2015, 11:41 PM
Well. I have a few of them in that mix. So I am hoping at least a few will agree with meHope you have more boys than girls! Girls are a PITA!!
did i say that out loud..? lol I should know..

justlooking
01-27-2015, 05:31 AM
Hope you have more boys than girls! Girls are a PITA!!
did i say that out loud..? lol I should know..
I have 4 of each.
And yes the girls are definitely worse than the boys.

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 05:36 AM
2 girls here = grey hair and a empty shotgun!

Inor
01-27-2015, 06:52 AM
2 girls here = grey hair and a empty shotgun!

Two daughters here too. Every gray hair on my head and every line on my face (and there are more than a few) was earned the hard way. But neither is a hippie, neither is a homo and neither is a junkie. So at the end of the day, I figure Mrs Inor and I did our jobs.

justlooking
01-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Good heavens. With 4 girls I'm gonna look old!

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Two daughters here too. Every gray hair on my head and every line on my face (and there are more than a few) was earned the hard way. But neither is a hippie, neither is a homo and neither is a junkie. So at the end of the day, I figure Mrs Inor and I did our jobs.Poor bastard.... misery loves company lol sounds like we could tell a story or two. Yep I smoke, drink and swear like a drunken sailor. My girls don't smoke drink or swear. Well I have heard a cuss word when they thought I wasn't in the room.....lol

Inor
01-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Poor bastard.... misery loves company lol sounds like we could tell a story or two. Yep I smoke, drink and swear like a drunken sailor. My girls don't smoke drink or swear. Well I have heard a cuss word when they thought I wasn't in the room.....lol

Same here. Our girls like that weird yuppie wheat beer and my younger one can cuss the paint off the walls when the situation calls for it. But I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. I'm proud of them. :D

Inor
01-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Good heavens. With 4 girls I'm gonna look old!

Yep - You're screwed. :D

justlooking
01-27-2015, 07:50 AM
Yep - You're screwed. :D
Lovely :-/

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Lovely :-/

Feel for ya.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/clintnodgifpagespeedceZe6x0jWh77_zps3ade2266.gif (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/clintnodgifpagespeedceZe6x0jWh77_zps3ade2266.gif.h tml)

justlooking
01-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Feel for ya.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/hawgrider97/stuff/clintnodgifpagespeedceZe6x0jWh77_zps3ade2266.gif (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/hawgrider97/media/stuff/clintnodgifpagespeedceZe6x0jWh77_zps3ade2266.gif.h tml)
Well. With having 4 boys also hopefully it balances out

oldmurph58
01-27-2015, 08:02 AM
the best cure is probably stayin away from poison ivy

Inor
01-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Well. With having 4 boys also hopefully it balances out

Four boys AND four girls... Damn. Buy stock in Maalox.

justlooking
01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Four boys AND four girls... Damn. Buy stock in Maalox.
Oh they have their moments. But for the most part they are good kids.

Inor
01-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Oh they have their moments. But for the most part they are good kids.

Just keep in the back of your mind, all the weirdness that goes along with being a teenager goes away (magically) when they are about 20 or 21. (And they do not remember any of it. :D) Then they become normal people that are really fun to be around.

I.E. Do not kill them no matter how much you would like to some days.

justlooking
01-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Just keep in the back of your mind, all the weirdness that goes along with being a teenager goes away (magically) when they are about 20 or 21. (And they do not remember any of it. :D) Then they become normal people that are really fun to be around.

I.E. Do not kill them no matter how much you would like to some days.
Lol.

Oh trust me I know. Have a 17yo boy. 15 yo boy. 13 yo girl. 11 yo boy. 10 yo girl. 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo girl.

It is crazy sometimes

Inor
01-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Take a step back and think about this for a second. A thread about poison ivy somehow evolved into a thread about teenage kids. Hmm...

justlooking
01-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Oops. Do we need to stay on topic?

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Oops. Do we need to stay on topic?Why nobody else is. One of the other members here steps all over my recipe threads, thread jacking the **** out of them so lets not be organized now. I like a free for all like the next person. Carry on its my thread and you have my permission to talk about what ever you heart desires. At least we are not talking about what we had for dinner And sour dough bread on a pressure cooker venison ribs thread while whining about salt and oil usage. Freakin health freak hippies.

justlooking
01-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Who doesn't like salt?!

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Who doesn't like salt?!Go read the pressure cooked venison ribs thread and you shall see.

link here- http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?1774-Pressure-cooked-Venison-ribs

Inor
01-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Oops. Do we need to stay on topic?

Why start that now? Conversations go wherever they go... :D I just found it funny that a thread about poison ivy somehow evolved in a discussion of kids.

hawgrider
01-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Why start that now? Conversations go wherever they go... :D I just found it funny that a thread about poison ivy somehow evolved in a discussion of kids.Both highly irritating ....lol

Montana Rancher
02-05-2015, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qniGwqHDa5Y#t=11

Well actually it isn't the best solution

IMO live in an area that doesn't have poison ivy and then you don't have to worry about it.

haha

justlooking
02-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Both highly irritating ....lol
Hey now. My kids are perfect angels