PDA

View Full Version : Hog killin time

hag
01-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Haven't had time to post about it until now but we killed 3 hogs between Christmas and new years. Hams and bacons are down on salt curing now. The shoulders were destined for sausage. Made 164 pounds of sausage in total. Curing the hams and bacons in a couple old refrigerators that don't run, I'm just using them like giant coolers. I have a bunch of jugs full of water frozen and on days it's gonna get above 50 degrees or so, I stuff the ice jugs all around the meat and shut the door... seems to be working good. I have done this for several years now since the weather is so sporadic that it's hard to cure anything anymore.
Daughter bought me a new grill and I tried it out this past Sunday with fresh ribs. They were awesome!

hag
01-08-2021, 12:03 PM
I haven't got the lard rendered yet, I just put the leaf fat and skins in bags and froze them. It's been raining forever but I think I will get a chance to thaw it out and render lard this weekend

hawgrider
01-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Ferrell or raised hogs? Im guessing raised hogs.

Too cool I can see those salt encrusted hams Now .... great visual :D

I've got 20 lbs of belly curing right now. Today I think is day 9 or 10. I should be cold smoking some this weekend.

hag
01-08-2021, 12:31 PM
Some raised... l am thinking of building a new smokehouse... one with an outside stove to get a colder smoke... got ideas in my head but no time to get started on it lolol

hawgrider
01-08-2021, 12:46 PM
Some raised... l am thinking of building a new smokehouse... one with an outside stove to get a colder smoke... got ideas in my head but no time to get started on it lolol

When I think of Kentucky and old smoke houses curing hams I think of Bill Dixons smoke house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UkXhHUTfM

hawgrider
01-08-2021, 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawRK6nxFhY

hag
01-08-2021, 01:14 PM
He is a sharp old timer but I hope my smokehouse will be a little tighter than his hahahaha..l want it weevil skipper and bug proof but that's almost impossible

hawgrider
01-08-2021, 04:30 PM
He is a sharp old timer but I hope my smokehouse will be a little tighter than his hahahaha..l want it weevil skipper and bug proof but that's almost impossible

Yeah he's got some big gaps in the smoke house. No stack needed. I think the bug issue was mentioned in one of his vids? Does he just depend on the salt to keep the bugs off? I can't remember I'll have to watch them again.

What do you guys do ? Tight shack with a stack?

Slippy
01-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Haven't had time to post about it until now but we killed 3 hogs between Christmas and new years. Hams and bacons are down on salt curing now. The shoulders were destined for sausage. Made 164 pounds of sausage in total. Curing the hams and bacons in a couple old refrigerators that don't run, I'm just using them like giant coolers. I have a bunch of jugs full of water frozen and on days it's gonna get above 50 degrees or so, I stuff the ice jugs all around the meat and shut the door... seems to be working good. I have done this for several years now since the weather is so sporadic that it's hard to cure anything anymore.
Daughter bought me a new grill and I tried it out this past Sunday with fresh ribs. They were awesome!

Heck Yeah! Slippy Approved!!

hag
01-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Picture of my scalding pot

hag
01-09-2021, 01:55 PM
Some hams and bacons in one of the refrigerators

hag
01-09-2021, 01:57 PM
Some of the sausages... we always patty them all out and vacuum seal... wife says it's easier in the mornings but its a long day making them lol... wish I had taken pictures during the process

hawgrider
01-09-2021, 03:38 PM
Some hams and bacons in one of the refrigerators

Do you keep recoating the hams with salt or do you let them sit covered before they go in the fridge coolers.

hag
01-09-2021, 04:20 PM
I add more if they need it... l resalted them after I took the picture hahaha....in a traditional box they would have been stacked on top of each other

hawgrider
01-09-2021, 05:37 PM
I add more if they need it... l resalted them after I took the picture hahaha....in a traditional box they would have been stacked on top of each other

Yeah I've seen that method completely covered with salt in a box.

Cool.. I wasn't sure if you had brined them or salted.

That big boiler tub you got there is a dandy!

hawgrider
01-09-2021, 06:55 PM
Some of the sausages... we always patty them all out and vacuum seal... wife says it's easier in the mornings but its a long day making them lol... wish I had taken pictures during the process

Nice looking grind on the sausage. 80/20 fat ratio?

hag
01-09-2021, 07:27 PM
Nice looking grind on the sausage. 80/20 fat ratio?

I just Eyeball it hahaha... probably more like 70/30. They ain't deep fried in the skillet but you definitely ain't gotta add oil... bought right for making gravy after cooking

hawgrider
01-09-2021, 07:33 PM
I just Eyeball it hahaha... probably more like 70/30. They ain't deep fried in the skillet but you definitely ain't gotta add oil... bought right for making gravy after cooking

70/30 is prolly perfect for sausage. Been a while since I made any pork sausage. I did some chicken brats a while back at 80/20 and they are on the dry side.

Deebo
01-10-2021, 12:48 PM
You guys are aweesome.