PDA

View Full Version : Gardening 2021 Be prepared

Broncosfan
01-09-2021, 03:48 PM
Usually I order my seeds just before the first of the year. Running a little late. I'm finding that a lot of the types of seeds I want are already sold out. Some not even available. I actually had to order from 2 different companies to get most of my seed. I figure more people will garden this year than last. Last year you couldn't even get canning jar lids in my area. I will start converting to reusable lids. So for those that don't plan ahead I think this is another year you could easily end up doing without.

juskom95
01-09-2021, 03:52 PM
Probably a combination between a greater demand and less workers available.

hag
01-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Usually I order my seeds just before the first of the year. Running a little late. I'm finding that a lot of the types of seeds I want are already sold out. Some not even available. I actually had to order from 2 different companies to get most of my seed. I figure more people will garden this year than last. Last year you couldn't even get canning jar lids in my area. I will start converting to reusable lids. So for those that don't plan ahead I think this is another year you could easily end up doing without.

Ran into this with baker seeds... they actually took their website down for several days to catch up on orders

Innkeeper
01-09-2021, 04:42 PM
Usually I order my seeds just before the first of the year. Running a little late. I'm finding that a lot of the types of seeds I want are already sold out. Some not even available. I actually had to order from 2 different companies to get most of my seed. I figure more people will garden this year than last. Last year you couldn't even get canning jar lids in my area. I will start converting to reusable lids. So for those that don't plan ahead I think this is another year you could easily end up doing without.I actually bought extra lids last year anytime I found them in the store just to play it safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Broncosfan
01-09-2021, 05:08 PM
I actually bought extra lids last year anytime I found them in the store just to play it safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

After I'm done canning for the year I always try to buy 20 doz for a head start for the next year. I didn't run out becasue our garden took a back seat to family issues in 2020 This year I need to get some of my canning caught back up. We couldn't find any at all to buy around here in 2020 after everything blew up.

hag
01-09-2021, 06:15 PM
After I'm done canning for the year I always try to buy 20 doz for a head start for the next year. I didn't run out becasue our garden took a back seat to family issues in 2020 This year I need to get some of my canning caught back up. We couldn't find any at all to buy around here in 2020 after everything blew up.

That is the way I approach prepping... we can several hundred quarts of food every year so I focus on lids way more than bullets... I shoot approximately zero people per year hahaha

MountainGirl
01-09-2021, 09:15 PM

Mind sharing who you ordered from? We usually buy local but I don't want to wait till spring. Thanks!

juskom95
01-09-2021, 09:19 PM
Mind sharing who you ordered from? We usually buy local but I don't want to wait till spring. Thanks!

I would be curious. I want to try a pallet garden (or similar) this year since I'm probably working from home for the foreseeable future!

Broncosfan
01-09-2021, 10:39 PM

I usually buy everything from Seedsnsuch.com. They have way better prices than any of the big name seed companies. I have used them for several years. I also bought a very few items from parkseed.com. I have bought from them on and off for 30 plus years. Both are located in South Carolina. The guy that owns seednsuch actually started a couple of seed companies that are still business after he sold them.

Inor
03-08-2021, 10:47 PM
What the hell is going on with mail order garden stuff this year?!?

We mail ordered some raspberries, blueberries and blackberries a couple months ago. The raspberries and blueberries shipped almost a month ago and have been sitting in FedEx warehouse hell up in Phoenix ever since! The garden company notified us the blackberries shipped and should be here Wednesday or Thursday. We finally got notified by FedEx the raspberries and blueberries might actually get here Thursday or Friday (no doubt, long dead by then).

The really frustrating part is the raspberries and blueberries are replacing some raspberries and blueberries that I bought on a lark last year when I found them on sale at Wally World. Not a single plant made it. (Actually, I think they were all dead before I bought them. As I mentioned, they were not a planned purchase; they were on sale at the end of the planting season so I bought them like an idiot.). Maybe God doesn't intend for us to have raspberries and blueberries?

A week or so ago Mrs Inor ordered some guinea fowl to take care of the garden bugs and the rattlers that have been driven out of the pasture and into the yard by the donkeys. The guinea fowl people sent her an e-mail today letting her know her order will not ship until the end of June!

My assignment for the spring was to build a chicken shack and bone up on what we need to know to raise chickens. But as hard as it seems to be to mail order food stuffs lately (and the extreme expense of building materials lately), I may just take my time on the build and buy some grown pullets locally later in the summer.

Have ya'll had similar experiences or is the universe just conspiring against Mrs Inor and me?

Jester-ND
03-09-2021, 08:02 AM
I have learned to buy lids and jars in the spring when everyone buys seeds... and buy seeds in fall when everyone is looking for canning lids... and then keep buying lids... whenever you find them.

LivoniaDan
03-09-2021, 02:41 PM
Just got me 5 - 55 gallon plastic Drums.
Cut them in half to make 10 Wicking Containers.

Did notice some of the seeds I wanted were already sold out.
Did find suitable substitutes though.

I have learned to buy lids and jars in the spring when everyone buys seeds... and buy seeds in fall when everyone is looking for canning lids... and then keep buying lids... whenever you find them.
Been finding lots of jars with lids.... Some large mouth lids... but NO regular lids

Jester-ND
03-09-2021, 03:26 PM
Just got me 5 - 55 gallon plastic Drums.
Cut them in half to make 10 Wicking Containers.

Did notice some of the seeds I wanted were already sold out.
Did find suitable substitutes though.

Been finding lots of jars with lids.... Some large mouth lids... but NO regular lids

I have been finding more as of late too..... so I buy them. may not be the case by August.

Slippy
03-09-2021, 03:50 PM
We use local bought seeds and try to use last years seeds to plant. Our plan never works out like we want so we supplement from a local Feed and Seed store and/or Home Depot.

Inor
03-09-2021, 04:22 PM

About 10 years ago, we bought a case of the Tattler reusable wide lids and a case of the small lids. Those are the greatest thing ever. We have not bought any more lids since. If you do decide to order them, you had better do it soon to have them by fall. They usually have a pretty long backlog.

Inor
03-09-2021, 04:23 PM
What the hell is going on with mail order garden stuff this year?!?

We mail ordered some raspberries, blueberries and blackberries a couple months ago. The raspberries and blueberries shipped almost a month ago and have been sitting in FedEx warehouse hell up in Phoenix ever since! The garden company notified us the blackberries shipped and should be here Wednesday or Thursday. We finally got notified by FedEx the raspberries and blueberries might actually get here Thursday or Friday (no doubt, long dead by then).

The really frustrating part is the raspberries and blueberries are replacing some raspberries and blueberries that I bought on a lark last year when I found them on sale at Wally World. Not a single plant made it. (Actually, I think they were all dead before I bought them. As I mentioned, they were not a planned purchase; they were on sale at the end of the planting season so I bought them like an idiot.). Maybe God doesn't intend for us to have raspberries and blueberries?

A week or so ago Mrs Inor ordered some guinea fowl to take care of the garden bugs and the rattlers that have been driven out of the pasture and into the yard by the donkeys. The guinea fowl people sent her an e-mail today letting her know her order will not ship until the end of June!

My assignment for the spring was to build a chicken shack and bone up on what we need to know to raise chickens. But as hard as it seems to be to mail order food stuffs lately (and the extreme expense of building materials lately), I may just take my time on the build and buy some grown pullets locally later in the summer.

Have ya'll had similar experiences or is the universe just conspiring against Mrs Inor and me?

We just got another e-mail from the berry people today. They have now pushed the delivery back again to next week! GRRR!!!! This is really starting to piss me off!

Jester-ND
03-09-2021, 06:39 PM
About 10 years ago, we bought a case of the Tattler reusable wide lids and a case of the small lids. Those are the greatest thing ever. We have not bought any more lids since. If you do decide to order them, you had better do it soon to have them by fall. They usually have a pretty long backlog.

already have a bunch of tattler reusable lids... I just am hoarding the single use ones while I can find them... be as good a barter item as one can get next to .22 ammo