PDA

View Full Version : ALternative means of cooking and adhoc meals ideas.

OSFG
01-15-2015, 12:40 PM
What are the strangest means of cooking a meal or ingrediants you can throw together when normal means are not available?

Here are a few ideas...1115

OSFG
01-15-2015, 12:40 PM
or this:

OSFG
01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Some strange combinations?

OSFG
01-15-2015, 12:42 PM
I redneck Vegans salad:

hawgrider
01-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Intake Manifold meals .... Ive done it.

OSFG
01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Intake Manifold meals .... Ive done it.

I was cooking some Spaghettios in the exhast port of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle in 91....forgot about them...I'm in the commanders seat looking out...when boom. I'm covered'd with scalding hot SPaghettios. Dude that sucked...great way to cook...Just set a timer.

Inor
01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
What are the strangest means of cooking a meal or ingrediants you can throw together when normal means are not available?

Here are a few ideas...1115

I've done that! I thought I was being so creative. I guess not. As OSFG knows, when staying in hotels for business, we have to come up with all sorts of alternative ideas for doing stuff. Another good one is if the ice machine is on a different floor, one way to chill your beer or pop is to put it in the toilet tank - (NOT THE BOWL).

OSFG
01-15-2015, 12:49 PM
I've done that! I thought I was being so creative. I guess not. As OSFG knows, when staying in hotels for business, we have to come up with all sorts of alternative ideas for doing stuff. Another good one is if the ice machine is on a different floor, one way to chill your beer or pop is to put it in the toilet tank - (NOT THE BOWL).

We should start one about how to de-wrinkle your business clothing using shower steam.... I can't tell you how many times I have fallen asleep to wake up later with a bathroom saturated with water and dripping from the ceiling...ha haha ha.

Inor
01-15-2015, 12:52 PM
We should start one about how to de-wrinkle your business clothing using shower steam.... I can't tell you how many times I have fallen asleep to wake up later with a bathroom saturated with water and dripping from the ceiling...ha haha ha.

Then you dry your clothes with the hair dryer. Been there, done that. :D

Those little shoe polish rags they give you work perfect for cleaning your glasses too.

Inor
01-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Just do NOT EVER try to make a toothbrush from a Bic pen. I tried that once by wrapping the shoe polish rag around the end of a pen. The pen came apart in my mouth filling it with blue ink. My teeth were blue for a week!

hawgrider
01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Just do NOT EVER try to make a toothbrush from a Bic pen. I tried that once by wrapping the shoe polish rag around the end of a pen. The pen came apart in my mouth filling it with blue ink. My teeth were blue for a week!Hahahaha wouldn't have been easier to go down to the desk and ask for a tooth brush Haahaha I can see you smiling now LOL

OSFG
01-15-2015, 01:02 PM
I just use my finger and a wash cloth...and hot water...lol...that was funny as hell reading...and envisioning....and I don't envy explaining why your teeth are blue the next day. Point taken and stored away for future reference.

I will add this one...always throw the lock and the bar on the inside of your hotel room (it is like a safety chain) if your drinking in your room...or else you may wake up in the hallway to the sound of a hotel room door closing (locking) with you outside of your room in your underwear. NOT THAT I EVER DID THAT!!!! NEVER HAPPENED!!! but it could happen.

Or else you may have to break into a storage room and then rip a cushion covering off of a couch to cover yourself, as you make your way across a parking lot to the front desk at 2:00 am to get a room key (because the wing your in is detached and had no phones in the hallways. Again...NOT THAT I DID THIS..THIS IS JUST ONE POTENTIAL SCENARIO>

BTW I have proof it never happened because the next day I checked and there were no cameras in the hallway, parking lot or Lobby.

Inor
01-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Hahahaha wouldn't have been easier to go down to the desk and ask for a tooth brush Haahaha I can see you smiling now LOL

It was late at night, the airline had lost my luggage and I did not even think about it. :D That happened about 5 years ago and the client still gives me shit about it! :D

OSFG
01-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Just do NOT EVER try to make a toothbrush from a Bic pen. I tried that once by wrapping the shoe polish rag around the end of a pen. The pen came apart in my mouth filling it with blue ink. My teeth were blue for a week!

Inor when did you do that?

Inor
01-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Inor when did you do that?

It was about 5 years ago. I was in Freeport, ME doing a gig for L.L. Bean. :D It was really funny because I had never worked with the broker before that got me the gig. So I showed up to meet the guy for the first time looking like a homeless guy with blue teeth and blue lips! You should have seen the look on his face when he saw me walking up sidewalk!

It all worked out okay though as I still get business from him on a pretty regular basis.

James m
01-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Would a hand warmer be enough to heat food? Over 100 degrees for several hours. I was thinking aluminum foil to trap heat like an over. Gonna try it. What should I try to cook?

OSFG
01-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Would a hand warmer be enough to heat food? Over 100 degrees for several hours. I was thinking aluminum foil to trap heat like an over. Gonna try it. What should I try to cook?

No...by virtue of the need not to burn the holder...they do not maintain the necessary heat to maintain an object via convection up to 100 degrees and maintain it for several hours. Unless you use like 50 of them. Even though they get up to 124 degrees for 10 hours...the loss from convection will be significant. Maybe it is worth a test...?

WIll it heat it up...yes ..will it cook it to the point of safety...no.

James m
01-15-2015, 01:57 PM
I have something going. A small quesadilla. The wrap, cheese, and precooked chicken from a bag. Plus hot sauce. Left one end open for air.

Because somebody put the turkey bacon in the freezer!

OSFG
01-15-2015, 02:27 PM
I would close the end...aluminum foil will deal with pressure by releasing it so it can only help add to the temperature increase.

James m
01-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Wow. I opened a new box of hot hands 18 hour warmers. They don't appear to work. 15-20 seconds if shaking and throwing for 2 seconds of warmth. Not heat warmth.

1moretoy
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
I've cooked pork n beans over a fire still in the can and grilled cheese wrapped in tin foil with an iron.

James m
01-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Well an hour and a half later I decided to take the hand warmers out and put it on my furnace. The hand warmers don't seem to work at all.

James m
01-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Just took it off of the furnace. Not bad. It has a spicy kick to it, not like normal hot sauce flavor.

OSFG
01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
So who has made a grilled cheese sandwich with an iron in a hotel room? I'd bet Inor has...I know I have.

Inor
01-15-2015, 06:34 PM
I have made a grilled ham and cheese. Does that count? (I didn't have any butter to make grilled cheese.)

You can also use the iron to toast bagels.

James m
01-15-2015, 06:39 PM
I have made toast to go along with corned beef hash on this furnace before. I didn't have butter though. Both made during an electric outage.

I put those warmers in front of the TV, and now they are warm. How many hours later!?!?

Infidel
01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
I was cooking some Spaghettios in the exhast port of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle in 91....forgot about them...I'm in the commanders seat looking out...when boom. I'm covered'd with scalding hot SPaghettios. Dude that sucked...great way to cook...Just set a timer.

Thank you, I needed that laugh. Did you know right away when that can blew what it was or did it take a few seconds to figure out. Wondering if maybe you thought for a second it was some kind of road side bomb?

-Infidel

longrider
01-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Just "wow".:ughh:

Why are men ever left to their own devices?

MI.oldguy
01-16-2015, 10:40 AM
This, done it....snowmobiles are good for something besides ice fishing and crashing into fences.

OSFG
01-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Thank you, I needed that laugh. Did you know right away when that can blew what it was or did it take a few seconds to figure out. Wondering if maybe you thought for a second it was some kind of road side bomb?

-Infidel

It scared the crap out of me. I dropped down and said I think I'm hit cause It was burning me. But then once I smelled it I knew what it was and started laughing my ass off. The Gunner thought I had gone into shock and started calling it in on the radio. Very comical afterwards.