PDA

View Full Version : Ban On Wood Burning Stoves Just Days From Taking Effect

hawgrider
01-16-2015, 05:56 AM
This really pisses me off!

The Environmental Protection Agency is set to finalize a set of regulations in February that critics say will effectively ban production of 80 percent of the wood- and pellet-burning stoves in America.
http://www.offthegridnews.com/2015/01/16/epas-ban-on-wood-burning-stoves-just-days-from-taking-effect/

shootbrownelk
01-16-2015, 04:24 PM
The EPA can suck it, I'm keeping my stove and I may burn COAL in it, just to piss them off!

Inor
01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
It looks like a fine opportunity for some of us to start a black market (otherwise known as the free market) stove making business.

Pauls
01-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Is there anythingin the new regs about making your own stove? When King county did their last push for cleaner burning wood stoves it made it illegal to buy or trade in the older stoves but if it was already in use you could keep using it. The rule had no provisions for making a stove for yourself. I made two of the best air-tight wood stoves ?I have ever seen. The best one used an air intake that went through the floor to draw combustion air from outside and had a built in heatilator to help heat the cabin. That little 18x18x24" stove kept the cabin at 80F all winter long and used less wood than the commercial unit it replaced.

I should sell the plans!

longrider
01-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Pauls, I'd be interested in your wood stove plans. I have a woodstove in my trailer house. Now that I've moved into the cinder block house with my Farmer Guy, he has a pellet/corn stove that is sooo in efficient. it's in the basement, and maybe that is why it's very ineffective. I hate it. Plus it burns corn. Hello! You're burning food. I'd like to take it out and bust it up.

My Farmer Guy feels very different. I'm not sure what he paid for it, but it was too much. You can't cook on it, and it won't run if the electric goes out. He has replaced the motor in it 3 times in the last 5 years. He won't admit that it sucks. I'd love to have the plans for an efficient little wood stove.

What is the square footage of your cabin, Pauls?

Baglady
01-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Is there anythingin the new regs about making your own stove? When King county did their last push for cleaner burning wood stoves it made it illegal to buy or trade in the older stoves but if it was already in use you could keep using it. The rule had no provisions for making a stove for yourself. I made two of the best air-tight wood stoves ?I have ever seen. The best one used an air intake that went through the floor to draw combustion air from outside and had a built in heatilator to help heat the cabin. That little 18x18x24" stove kept the cabin at 80F all winter long and used less wood than the commercial unit it replaced.

I should sell the plans!Sounds amazing to me too. I'd like to see/read more about your heater.
I'm familiar with Rocket Stoves, but they seem complicated, and take a lot of space.

Pauls
01-26-2015, 07:58 PM
I will gather the plans if I still have them and if not I can remember enough to draw new plans up and convert them to PDF and send them to anyone who wants to use them.

Some assembly will be required - I welded flat pieces to make the stove and pipe and tubing to make the ducting. It isn't rocket science but you should be able to weld a seam or have someone who can weld it for you.

rjd25
01-26-2015, 10:57 PM
I don't see how they are going to regulate the private sale of "banned" stoves. Craigslist makes it pretty easy to set up the sales. I say **** em.

Montana Rancher
02-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Search YouTube for "rocket mass stoves" and you will easily convert your typical wood burning system to something super effective.

You can heat a typical home with less than 2cf of wood per day.

Check out www.Permies.com