PDA

View Full Version : Taste testing 60-year-old, cold war era canned emergency water

hawgrider
02-19-2021, 06:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGZNAH9wRC0&feature=emb_logo

The Crazy Russian Hacker decided to open these cans for a taste test after 60 years. Do you think they're safe to drink?
Back during the Cold War, there was a lot of crazy prepping going on because everyone was convinced that total nuclear war could break out at any moment. If the bombs flew, https://www.wideopenspaces.com/video-is-60-year-old-canned-e

BucketBack
02-19-2021, 01:26 PM
I'll go with it's barely palatable.

eta- yup don't taste right. Still safe.

My well water goes stinky if left in a travel bottle for any length of time.

SOCOM42
02-19-2021, 02:01 PM
The internal coatings weren't like the are today.

Given the new coatings and the same time, they would be just fine.

Most of what is in that water is iron oxide, some tin, harmless.

I have several cases of ration crackers from the same era.

Hell when I was in the army, we were eating "K" rats from WW2 and "C" rats from the Korean war.

I do believe that the water was distilled before canning.

Dwight55
02-19-2021, 10:12 PM
Have you tried the Army's new dehydrated water???

It is darn near weightless . . . one man can carry 100 gallons and never be tired.

May God bless,
Dwight

shootbrownelk
02-20-2021, 08:46 AM
Leave it to some dummass Russkie immigrant? to try something stupid. I always get a kick out of watching Russian car/truck crashes on YouTube. Those Russians behind the wheel are something else, only to be outdone by the retards in India.

stevekozak
02-20-2021, 09:51 AM
I was with the guy until he started talking about boiling the water. Why the ever-loving hell would you waste resources to boil the perfectly fine water in a SHTF situation (which is the only time you would be resorting to 60 year old canned water)?

Back Pack Hack
02-20-2021, 10:12 AM
I was with the guy until he started talking about boiling the water. Why the ever-loving hell would you waste resources to boil the perfectly fine water in a SHTF situation (which is the only time you would be resorting to 60 year old canned water)?

Perhaps, maybe, possibly, the kit doesn't test for things like giardia, cryptosporidia.....

stevekozak
02-20-2021, 10:56 AM
Perhaps, maybe, possibly, the kit doesn't test for things like giardia, cryptosporidia.....

And maybe, perhaps, possibly, he drank out of the fornicating can a couple of times before he made this extra-wise pronouncement. I would be very curious, knowing you to be a highly skilled and very intelligent outdoorsman, to know how many times you have known of giardia being present in canned water. Do you think that the canners just scooped this water from a slow-moving stream and stuck the top on it? :fishwack:

Back Pack Hack
02-20-2021, 11:07 AM
And maybe, perhaps, possibly, he drank out of the fornicating can a couple of times before he made this extra-wise pronouncement. I would be very curious, knowing you to be a highly skilled and very intelligent outdoorsman, to know how many times you have known of giardia being present in canned water. Do you think that the canners just scooped this water from a slow-moving stream and stuck the top on it? :fishwack:

Let me know when you respond with an adult answer.

stevekozak
02-20-2021, 11:32 AM
Let me know when you respond with an adult answer.

What, exactly, is less than adult about my answer? I asked a sensible question. I was hoping you had a sensible answer. My hope seems to have been in vain.

hawgrider
02-20-2021, 11:50 AM
What, exactly, is less than adult about my answer? I asked a sensible question. I was hoping you had a sensible answer. My hope seems to have been in vain.

Pay no mind he's a snarky one:gossip:

Fornicating must have hit a nerve? BPH do you need to get laid?

BucketBack
02-20-2021, 02:49 PM
That had better be a Yes. I think everyone needs to get laid. Often.

Mister Mills
02-20-2021, 07:57 PM
I tried some 30 year old Pepsi, and it was crap, it would have gagged a maggot. My nephew had saved some commemorative Pepsi, from the Bucs,and it was puke.

shootbrownelk
02-21-2021, 01:31 AM
Anybody chug a 6 pack of Billy Beer lately?

Mister Mills
02-22-2021, 06:43 PM
I know that some of you guys have drunk well water, and drunk out of mountain streams. I did that in WV, and the difference between that and city water can’t be put into words.

The brooks that are up in the highlands, of McDowell County, WV, have water that taste better than soda pop in ways. I just wanted to mention that.

I haven’t drunk any water out in the Rockies, but I have seen some of creeks, and the water was rushing. I was outside of SLC. , and there was a fast moving creek that I walked by, and it was deep. Full of good water.

I am making a contrast between what God provided, and canned water. Yes, I get the idea, canned water is better than no water.

SOCOM42
02-22-2021, 07:17 PM
As I said before, I do believe the water was distilled, it may have been deionized also.

I just don't remember the details, had the specs from the Natick Labs 30 years ago along with LT foodstuffs.

I had some of it back in the early 70's when they removed all the CD packages from the schools and municipal buildings.

Giardia, had a friend that was in SF, drank from a stream in Colorado, caught it, they tried to clean it out with Flagel,

almost killed him with the treatment, died from it two years ago,

His name was SFC Thomas Kapp, 10th SF Airborne SOTIC.

Any SF (and I don't mean the candy caner's) in here will know the name from SF sniper school at Ft. Devens.