PDA

View Full Version : Our little farm

RB81
02-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Well I figured I’d post up pics of our little farm, these are mostly from last year when I initially built everything. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/54e235ec7049abcd95788e262a8c6247.jpg
The garden, bed itself is 20’x50’, fenced is 24’ or 26’ x 55’ I put this in during the 2 weeks I was laid off due to covid.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/570f402e57e00b5c1fc99a8205636bd6.jpg
2 of the 3 rabbit hutches we have, the one on the left was built by my wife’s late uncle and given to us by his wife. The one on the right is the first one I cobbled together with what I had laying around. There’s a third one I’ve built also for one of our breeding females who should have a litter soon. We also have 3 rabbits in the house that are our pets although 1 is going into a 4th hutch I have to build as she will be another breeding female.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/2f4156a935daff6290098da1ee7f9b94.jpg
This is the chicken fortress. It’s built out of 20 pallets for the base and frame, sheathed with boards of countless pallets me and the kids broke down with a sawsall. Not in the pic is the chicken wire we wrapped the cage with and the deer netting we put over it to keep the chicken hawks out. We’re adding 2 panels to the right side this year so we can add more hens. We currently have 8 hens and 2 roosters, we had 2 other roosters but they were mean to our ladies so they’re in the freezer now.

hawgrider
02-21-2021, 08:50 AM
Very nice crib ya got there. Looks like a beautiful setting there.

Doing chickens here still fresh eggs are the bomb!

Haven't raised rabbits since my youth.

Beautiful garden set up there!

RB81
02-21-2021, 09:06 AM
Thanks, it’s in the country on land where my wife’s family is all around. Wife parents are getting older and she wants to be near them. Fresh eggs and chicken are great, so much better than store bought. The rabbits started as 2 boys, pets for the kids, then my wife wanted a Flemish giant/Dutch mix, then I found a black otter Rex I fell in love with, then my wife won a red eye white Holland lop accidentally in a contest of a friend of hers on Facebook, then we realized we have to start using them to make money somehow, so we’ve gotten into breeding them to help cover the costs and I’m just standing here going how the heck did all this happen!?!?! The garden was a labor of love, I built it big enough to provide for us and the family around us. Not in the pic is the gate and chicken wire I put around it to keep deer and small animals from eating it all up. It’s a lot of work and I’m hoping for better yield this year as going into the red clay didn’t do as well as I hoped it would but you live and learn.

Innkeeper
02-21-2021, 09:17 AM
Nice little set up, I haven't done rabbits since I was a kid and I really need to get chickens again. You are right fresh eggs are the way to go.
I like the garden good job, and being near family is ala a plus.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RB81
02-21-2021, 09:28 AM
Nice little set up, I haven't done rabbits since I was a kid and I really need to get chickens again. You are right fresh eggs are the way to go.
I like the garden good job, and being near family is ala a plus.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The rabbits are something I can explain exactly how we walked into and still aren’t sure how they talked me into it. 🤣🤣🤣 I’ve never raised rabbits before but they are easy. We don’t plan on raising meat breeds nor selling the around Easter. We want them to be kept as pets because they are great pets. But the whole cliche thing with getting pet rabbits at Easter is something we don’t like because they are typically for very small children and aren’t kept very long after Easter because parents don’t want to invest the little bit of time in them daily. And definitely get chickens!! I love the chickens, we incubated them from eggs, they are sweet animals with big personalities. People don’t realize how much fun chickens are.

Piratesailor
02-21-2021, 09:30 AM
Yes. Nice set up I like the garden.

MountainGirl
02-21-2021, 09:36 AM
Thanks, it’s in the country on land where my wife’s family is all around. Wife parents are getting older and she wants to be near them. Fresh eggs and chicken are great, so much better than store bought. The rabbits started as 2 boys, pets for the kids, then my wife wanted a Flemish giant/Dutch mix, then I found a black otter Rex I fell in love with, then my wife won a red eye white Holland lop accidentally in a contest of a friend of hers on Facebook, then we realized we have to start using them to make money somehow, so we’ve gotten into breeding them to help cover the costs and I’m just standing here going how the heck did all this happen!?!?! The garden was a labor of love, I built it big enough to provide for us and the family around us. Not in the pic is the gate and chicken wire I put around it to keep deer and small animals from eating it all up. It’s a lot of work and I’m hoping for better yield this year as going into the red clay didn’t do as well as I hoped it would but you live and learn.
LOLOL Ideas are like rabbits and pretty soon you're knee-deep in both good ones and 'what was I thinking ?!?' No rabbits here, just a few abandoned project ideas scattered under the snow waiting for spring cleanup.
Thanks for the Sunday morning chuckle! :)

Slippy
02-21-2021, 09:44 AM
Very nice!!

stevekozak
02-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Great looking setup!!! You are well on your way to sustainability!

RB81
02-21-2021, 09:45 AM
LOLOL Ideas are like rabbits and pretty soon you're knee-deep in both good ones and 'what was I thinking ?!?' No rabbits here, just a few abandoned project ideas scattered under the snow waiting for spring cleanup.
Thanks for the Sunday morning chuckle! :)

You’re welcome! I aims to please! Most of my projects this year are the more standard prepper building up stock piles and then the home renovation stuff that I’ve fought again doing because I hate carpentry. It’s gotta get done. Whether it makes me want to pull my finger nails out with pliers or not. And no snow here. But lord knows we got more rain than we know what to do with and that means summer will be arid probably. Ain’t figured the weather out in the south yet. We can have 97% humidity with a temp of 100 degrees and it won’t rain for nothing and we don’t have a real winter to speak of anymore.

hawgrider
02-21-2021, 11:25 AM

I've been stuck in suburbia for 39 years because of my job. Retirement is back to the country so I can "eat a lot of peaches."

RB81
02-21-2021, 11:30 AM
I've been stuck in suburbia for 39 years because of my job. Retirement is back to the country so I can "eat a lot of peaches."

I refuse to move to the suburbs. I drive 32 miles each way to work. Where I’m at is close to the highway but I’m 30 mins and any direction from a big city. At the 2010 census we only had 1888 people in the town proper, there are more people in the outlier community but probably only another thousand total.