PDA

View Full Version : Wisonsin winter

Smitty901
02-23-2021, 06:04 PM
Wisconsin we get real winter. We can see very large amounts of snow and like just recently long periods of temps well below zero. This last stretch was a lot of 25 below. But as a whole we got by. Only real griping came from big cities.
Blaming it on Global warming
Ice storms with wind have been known to knock power out. The farther you are from town the less likely you will get power back quickly. You just don't count. Same with many other services you pay taxes for. But we know that and prepare.
we have generators That are easy to hook up and use. We can move them any where needed. We have Gas heaters that are safe and fuel for them if needed and Wood back up. Each year early on we make sure it is all ready to go.
Longest we have ever had to go with out power was a week in winter . Everyone out here did fine. Some of us lent a hand to some that needed it.
Food is well stocked and water is never an issue here .
My major point is being prepared is just a part of life here for most. We do see that changing as new people move out here. Some don't stay others learn. Some never will. many in Texas fell into a comfort zone. it can't happen here.
Maybe it will be a wake up call for them. Often we get warnings of things than can come , but we brush it off . and in a year or so forget about it. I hope those that think it can happen learned some thing.
Come up with your plan and test it . Improve it .
Short coming I had but corrected was allowing snow to build up. No big deal we can get through it. Get to it later. Latter can come to late. I learned years back to get the snow cleared back as it comes never give it a chance to become over whelming.
Being prepared seems to be catching on. Nice to know if you wake a 0200 and the power is off. radio is saying they have no idea when it will be back. you can just put on a pot of coffee and relax.

hawgrider
02-23-2021, 06:15 PM
Wisconsin we get real winter. We can see very large amounts of snow and like just recently long periods of temps well below zero. This last stretch was a lot of 25 below. But as a whole we got by. Only real griping came from big cities.
Ice storms with wind have been known to knock power out. The farther you are from town the less likely you will get power back quickly. You just don't count. Same with many other services you pay taxes for. But we know that and prepare.
we have generators That are easy to hook up and use. We can move them any where needed. We have Gas heaters that are safe and fuel for them if needed and Wood back up. Each year early on we make sure it is all ready to go.
Longest we have ever had to go with out power was a week in winter . Everyone out here did fine. Some of us lent a hand to some that needed it.
My major point is being prepared is just a part of life here for most. We do see that changing as new people move out here. Some don't stay others learn. Some never will. many in Texas fell into a comfort zone. it can't happen here.
Maybe it will be a wake up call for them. Often we get warnings of things than can come , but we brush it off . and in a year or so forget about it. I hope those that think it can happen learned some thing.
Short coming I had but corrected was allowing snow to build up. No big deal we can get through it. Get to it later. Latter can come to late. I learned years back to get the snow cleared back as it comes never give it a chance to become over whelming.
Being prepared seems to be catching on. Nice to know if you wake a 0200 and the power is off. radio is saying they have no idea when it will be back. you can just put on a pot of coffee and relax.

I did some years up there off the south shore of the big lake in between Bayfieild and Superior Wi. Back in the mid 70's to 1980

BucketBack
02-23-2021, 07:04 PM
I should have taken the snow off the roof when it fell. It's all ice dams now, but it will melt.

Smitty901
02-23-2021, 07:20 PM
I should have taken the snow off the roof when it fell. It's all ice dams now, but it will melt.

My long driveway was plowed wide but had a covering of packed snow. Helps protect it. We got a big warm up today it was up to 48 degrees and the stuff was melting in the bright sun. So I went out several times and scraped it off most of it is bear ground now. best way to control the water once it get like this.
Last week to get one of my bikes out of the bike room we shoveled snow for about 150 feet 4 feet wide and it was 2-3 feet deep . Was just the only way to get it out. It had to go in to install the reverse. Time running out has to be in Murray KY. March 15th

Denton
02-23-2021, 07:22 PM
You guys got the good life, up there. Here' we are bracing for eighty degrees for Thursday.

I hate hot weather. I really hate hot weather. I have absolutely no idea why my Irish ancestors thought that the South is the place for us to settle.

hawgrider
02-23-2021, 07:37 PM
You guys got the good life, up there. Here' we are bracing for eighty degrees for Thursday.

I hate hot weather. I really hate hot weather. I have absolutely no idea why my Irish ancestors thought that the South is the place for us to settle.

Northern Wisconsin is definitely Gods country. Summers are cool from the breeze off the big lake. The woods are majestic almost untouched in some places it seemed.

The whitetail were very tasty. The down side was was gale winds of November and the early arrival of old man winter.

Great place to ride motorcycles up there in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter.

Inor
02-23-2021, 07:41 PM
I woke up around 6 this morning and went out to feed the steer and donkeys. It was about 25 and I had to break the ice on their water. After working through the morning, I went outside at lunch and it was 75 with bright sunshine. After spending the first 49 years of my life in the liberal hell-hole that is Minnesota, moving to AZ-land was the smartest thing we ever did.

The only negative is we did have another small wildfire this afternoon. Fortunately, they got it under control quickly and it only burned about 20-30 acres (unlike the wildfire our first year here that burned over 43,000 acres and set the whole mountain on fire).

Slippy
02-23-2021, 07:44 PM

X10 D-Man!

The heat and humidity are conspiring and actively trying to kill me. Saving my pennies for Wyoming or South Dakota!

Denton
02-23-2021, 07:53 PM
X10 D-Man!

The heat and humidity are conspiring and actively trying to kill me. Saving my pennies for Wyoming or South Dakota!

Unless I win the lottery, I'll die, here. Probably during the Summer. Probably on the hot tarmac of the airfield. Fried like an egg. Dead, a horrible death.

MoreAmmoOK
02-23-2021, 09:07 PM
Here in Oklahoma, which is much like Texas, when it gets hot it can get damn hot, when it gets cold it can get damn cold. Todays high was 70+, last week this time high was 7, low was -5. Damn hot is much more prevalent than damn cold but I prep for both. Spare window AC unit in case main AC goes out in the heat, wood stove and firewood for cold. Generator and fuel for power outages caused by thunderstorms or ice/snow. Throw it at me. I'll take the necessary steps then sit back and have a beer.

Big Ken
02-23-2021, 09:14 PM
Here in Oklahoma, which is much like Texas, when it gets hot it can get damn hot, when it gets cold it can get damn cold. Todays high was 70+, last week this time high was 7, low was -5. Damn hot is much more prevalent than damn cold but I prep for both. Spare window AC unit in case main AC goes out in the heat, wood stove and firewood for cold. Generator and fuel for power outages caused by thunderstorms or ice/snow. Throw it at me. I'll take the necessary steps then sit back and have a beer.

Damn from one extreme to the other and to forget the dreadful Oklahoma...

rstanek
02-24-2021, 04:08 AM
Spent my whole life in West Central Wisconsin, except for my time in the Navy, couldn’t wait to get home, I missed the change of the seasons, call me crazy......that was the early 70s......nothing has changed......

red442joe
02-24-2021, 06:15 AM

So very much THIS!

Joe

BucketBack
02-24-2021, 06:21 AM
I'm dealing with snow/ ice I should have cleared off the roof's as soon as it fell.