PDA

View Full Version : Better to be lucky...

Inor
03-25-2021, 11:43 PM
Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Mrs Inor has been on me since we finished building the house to make some shelves for her kitchen pantry. It was once of those projects that I just kept postponing because I really did not want to do it. They have no complicated joinery, she just wanted them painted so the wood was really boring (birch carcasses with popple face frames) and they are damn big and heavy. In short, they were just not a fun wood project to do.

Because she intends to load them up with all manner of kitchen machines and they will likely hold hundreds of jars of canned foods when she finishes her fall canning, I decided to make the carcasses entirely of 3/4" birch plywood and dado the shelves in for added strength. That made for some ugly cutting when making the dados, especially on the top and bottom shelves.

When I was setting up to cut the rabbits to hold the backs, I mistakenly cut the rabbits 1/8" too deep. That had the effect of making the overall width of the 2 cabinets 1/2" narrower than what I had planned. Rather than remake the sides or try to fill the extra depth in with a filler piece, I decided to just live with it and maybe have to make a filler moulding if the gap between the cabinet and the wall was too noticeable. What I failed to notice when I came up with my original plan was the bottom of the base moulding sticks out just a tad proud of the wall. As it turns out, the bottom of the base moulding is exactly 1/4" proud on each side (or 1/2" inch total). Had I not made the mistake cutting the back rabbits, the cabinets would have been too wide to fit. As it is, they are just about perfect.

I even had enough extra birch to make another small cabinet for the opposite wall which I started today.

Sasquatch
03-26-2021, 01:35 AM
I love it when a plan comes together.

Slippy
03-26-2021, 04:01 AM
Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Mrs Inor has been on me since we finished building the house to make some shelves for her kitchen pantry. It was once of those projects that I just kept postponing because I really did not want to do it. They have no complicated joinery, she just wanted them painted so the wood was really boring (birch carcasses with popple face frames) and they are damn big and heavy. In short, they were just not a fun wood project to do.

Because she intends to load them up with all manner of kitchen machines and they will likely hold hundreds of jars of canned foods when she finishes her fall canning, I decided to make the carcasses entirely of 3/4" birch plywood and dado the shelves in for added strength. That made for some ugly cutting when making the dados, especially on the top and bottom shelves.

When I was setting up to cut the rabbits to hold the backs, I mistakenly cut the rabbits 1/8" too deep. That had the effect of making the overall width of the 2 cabinets 1/2" narrower than what I had planned. Rather than remake the sides or try to fill the extra depth in with a filler piece, I decided to just live with it and maybe have to make a filler moulding if the gap between the cabinet and the wall was too noticeable. What I failed to notice when I came up with my original plan was the bottom of the base moulding sticks out just a tad proud of the wall. As it turns out, the bottom of the base moulding is exactly 1/4" proud on each side (or 1/2" inch total). Had I not made the mistake cutting the back rabbits, the cabinets would have been too wide to fit. As it is, they are just about perfect.

I even had enough extra birch to make another small cabinet for the opposite wall which I started today.

Mad Skills Inor!

Prepared One
03-26-2021, 04:52 AM
Good job Inor. I admire anyone who can work with wood. Me, I am not a woodworker, that project would have been firewood once I was done. I would have gone out and bought steel shelves and been done with it.

hawgrider
03-26-2021, 05:09 AM
Good job Inor. I admire anyone who can work with wood. Me, I am not a woodworker, that project would have been firewood once I was done. I would have gone out and bought steel shelves and been done with it.

Yeah I do my best work with a chainsaw.

BucketBack
03-26-2021, 06:42 AM
I can and have built most car parts out of wood.

hawgrider
03-26-2021, 06:44 AM
I can and have built most car parts out of wood.

Pattern maker.

Did some pattern repair at a cast iron foundry. Also worked the furnace and the floor molds.

BucketBack
03-26-2021, 07:28 AM
Pattern & Model Makers Association of Warren and Vicinity, later turned into the International Association of Machinists where KFC got their birds.