PDA

View Full Version : Brace yourself for a new wave of shortages

hawgrider
03-31-2021, 06:11 AM
Well, brace yourself, because another product shortage is looming — and yes, it may very well become tough to find toilet paper again.

Major problems with international shipping are likely to make t.p. and some other items scarce, and could bring a return of hoarding. Here's a lowdown on the situation, https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/goes-toilet-paper-shortages-likely-173500902.html

Mad Trapper
03-31-2021, 12:13 PM
I thought most of the TP was homegrown?

Mister Mills
03-31-2021, 04:32 PM
Maybe newspapers and Time/Newsweek will come back in style, and corncobs too.
Never lose hope, there is always a solution; and a substitute for toilet paper.

A fella can always be like the Muslims, and wipe with his left hand. Of course you would have to wash it pretty good.

Mad Trapper
03-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Maybe newspapers and Time/Newsweek will come back in style, and corncobs too.
Never lose hope, there is always a solution; and a substitute for toilet paper.

A fella can always be like the Muslims, and wipe with his left hand. Of course you would have to wash it pretty good.

Sparkyprep
03-31-2021, 05:18 PM
Been "braced" for years.

BucketBack
03-31-2021, 05:34 PM
I should buy some T.P.

Mad Trapper
03-31-2021, 06:11 PM
I should buy some T.P.

Piratesailor
03-31-2021, 07:01 PM
Of all my preps I have always said I never want to run out of tp ��. And I won’t. Trust me.

Inor
03-31-2021, 07:52 PM
Expect beef price to go up next fall as well. We are in the middle of bad drought in our area and a lot of the local ranchers are selling their herds right now because they cannot afford to feed and water them. They may come down a bit in the near term though, so stock up if you have room.

Broncosfan
03-31-2021, 08:09 PM
Expect beef price to go up next fall as well. We are in the middle of bad drought in our area and a lot of the local ranchers are selling their herds right now because they cannot afford to feed and water them. They may come down a bit in the near term though, so stock up if you have room.

I'm planning to buy a whole beef very soon.

MountainGirl
03-31-2021, 09:16 PM

Oh..the price of beef is definitely going up.

"The Biden administration is focusing on “re-regulation,” a large shift away from the Trump administration’s deregulation push, Andrew Harig, a policy expert at the Food Industry Association, told attendees at the virtual 2021 Annual Meat Conference on Wednesday. ... And the prices of beef and other meats will continue to climb, according to a recent report released by U.S. Department of Agriculture..."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industrials/biden-administration-will-impose-new-regulations-on-meat-industry-expert-warns

stevekozak
04-01-2021, 05:58 AM

I think getting that anywhere near my nether regions would cause more weanie-shrinkage than all the masks in China!!!

hawgrider
04-01-2021, 07:32 AM

My son in law is raising beef on 5 acres. This one will be ready for slaughter this fall.

juskom95
04-01-2021, 07:55 AM

I buy %95 of my beef from local farmers, so hopefully the beef prices in the rest of the country won't be as damaging. Who knows, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we had super-inflation by the end of the year or end of next year either.

Mister Mills
04-01-2021, 08:05 AM

That’s pretty funny.

Twenty 20
04-25-2021, 11:01 PM
Around here, ranchers have an arrangement to lease grazing land from a park district and the watershed district. I talking an area of 100k acres.

Normally a mutually beneficial arrangement for underbrush control.

Because of drought, ranchers have been told they can have 50% of the normal numbers on the land. Beef will be going up and in short supply.

Sarge7402
04-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Last year's shortages were due in most areas on a sudden snap in the distribution model. Folks used to providing bulk deliveries to institutions (read that as schools) were not able to react quickly enough to the need to distribute to individual families instead That and an over reaction in some processing plants closings forcing ranchers and farmers to destroy livestock or produce they had no way of getting to market.

I'll bet there's almost a 4 month supply of TP in each of your local school districts.

Oh yeah the wife just said to add TP to my next shopping list:beathead:

BucketBack
04-26-2021, 08:41 AM
I bought 4 double rolls of Angel Soft on Saturday

Sparkyprep
04-26-2021, 06:05 PM
Beef prices don't matter to me.

hawgrider
04-26-2021, 07:16 PM
Beef prices don't matter to me.

My one son inlaw is now raising ribeye's

SOCOM42
04-26-2021, 08:06 PM
Last years shortages in TP had no effect on me, we have a 5 year supply, based on our normal consumption.

We did buy a few cases to replace those we anticipated we would be using,

looking at a longer term shortage than actually happened.

No never mind, it all just went into storage, with the paper towels.

Some assholes actually tried to bring stuff back to the stores, including generators.

Broncosfan
04-26-2021, 08:16 PM
Mother nature is resupplying as we speak. Fresh new tender leaves. Just be sure you know what poison ivy, oak and sumac look like ore you will have a more serious problem than lack of TP!

inceptor
04-26-2021, 08:18 PM
Last years shortages in TP had no effect on me, we have a 5 year supply, based on our normal consumption.

Some assholes actually tried to bring stuff back to the stores, including generators.

It happened here too. Costco had a big sign stating no returns.

Denton
04-26-2021, 08:36 PM

I'm not a big beef eater, but I do eat chicken and fish like nobody's business. The prices of chicken and fish are going to spike when beef-eaters have to switch to them.

The SouthWest drought is going to hit the whole country.

Broncosfan
04-26-2021, 08:42 PM
I'm considering raising a beef in the very near future. Once I get a few of the irons out of the fire.

inceptor
04-26-2021, 09:06 PM
I'm not a big beef eater, but I do eat chicken and fish like nobody's business. The prices of chicken and fish are going to spike when beef-eaters have to switch to them.

The SouthWest drought is going to hit the whole country.

Do a search. We have been having big weather anomalies for the past few years. 2019 the midwest had floods while CA had a drought and wildfires.

Last year a Derecho wiped out a huge portion of soy and corn crops. Then came the scamdemic. A large part of our veggies come from CA and Newsom shut them down. Many crops were dumped since there was nowhere to send them. Livestock was put down because they couldn't feed them. The drought is only adding to the accumulated misery. Add to that more droughts and wildfires.

Yup, the food supply is getting more interesting as time goes on.

Coastie dad
04-26-2021, 09:20 PM
Hmph. Check feed prices. F ucking corn at $8.45 for a 50# bag. Last year in June I was paying $5. Chicken feed is at $11/50# and the calf starter is $10.50/50#

I'm now looking at 4x5 round bales possibly hitting $50-70 again.

F ucking democrats and their fuel prices. F ucking scamdemic bullshit. Mother Nature is a bitch in her own right and needs no help from commie c ocksukers in DC.

Inor
04-26-2021, 09:31 PM
Hmph. Check feed prices. F ucking corn at $8.45 for a 50# bag. Last year in June I was paying $5. Chicken feed is at $11/50# and the calf starter is $10.50/50#

I'm now looking at 4x5 round bales possibly hitting $50-70 again.

F ucking democrats and their fuel prices. F ucking scamdemic bullshit. Mother Nature is a bitch in her own right and needs no help from commie c ocksukers in DC.

Where are you getting corn for $8.45?!? I paid just over $10 for 50# bags last week at TSC. Sweet feed is up to over $11 per bag at TSC. I do not even check the local feed store for those anymore. I am sure they are over $13.

Friggin' Bermuda is up to over $15 for a 100# bale so we switched over to Alfalfa for the steer. Even that is close to $13! If he bloats and explodes I'll let ya'll know so you can bring the ketchup and steak sauce.

Freakin crazy!

Coastie dad
04-26-2021, 09:54 PM
We have a feed mill in town that is family owned. You are exactly correct on TSC prices. I was in there Saturday, as the fat broad in the BMW with her leopard print steering wheel cover whirled in to get dog food because, you know, " life out here."

Their prices are bad enough without adding this crap on to it. Square 60-70# bales are 4.50 -5.00 out of the field right now. This winter and that crap in March caused us to go through about 75 bales for the goats. I was going through 1100 pounds of hay per week and a 250# protein tub per month, plus range cubes at about 100# per week. I told the wife I didn't plan on losing spring calves for lack of nutrition. Four knocked up cows and a 1500# walking inseminator put away a lot of feed. But this spring we cleared off another two acres, and I've got grass coming in good, so maybe....if I get lucky..

Inor
04-26-2021, 10:04 PM
Yes on the cows! We have had to buy hay pretty much nonstop since September due to our lack of rain last summer. Our first one, we basically did not have to buy hay at all. No rain means no grass. No grass means I may as well open a vein and bleed money!

Twenty 20
04-26-2021, 10:40 PM
Where are you getting corn for $8.45?!? I paid just over $10 for 50# bags last week at TSC. Sweet feed is up to over $11 per bag at TSC. I do not even check the local feed store for those anymore. I am sure they are over $13.

Friggin' Bermuda is up to over $15 for a 100# bale so we switched over to Alfalfa for the steer. Even that is close to $13! If he bloats and explodes I'll let ya'll know so you can bring the ketchup and steak sauce.

Freakin crazy! I am paying $5 more a bale than that. I could get that price but I would have to drive 50 miles one way.

Piratesailor
04-27-2021, 08:31 AM

I’ve always said, in a SHTF situation I will not be without asswipe.... no ****ing way. My family use to laugh at that, until they asked if I had any extra rolls when the stores ran out.

Piratesailor
04-27-2021, 08:42 AM
I forgot about that winds storm damaging so many crops.

We have horses, not cows, so feed is a bit different although we go through some hay in the winter. Coastal hay (coastal Bermuda) is about $6.50 in the field. We get it from a friend of ours. The local feed stores are about $13 a bale. Round bails of horse quality are around $90 but we usually don’t get those due to waste. I bought some more acreage last year and our neighbor who has property asked to borrow our 4 legged mowers as he was tired of mowing, so we have an abundance of good grass right now.

Wife buys chicken feed so I have no idea of the prices except fo the fact she bitch about it the other day so it must be up.

I was reading in the news this morning about food inflation on a global basis and it’s rising quickly, especially in Asia.

It’s going to be interesting.. hence we are trying to grow more of our own food (vegetables) and make a deal with our neighborhood rancher regarding beef.

SOCOM42
04-27-2021, 09:25 AM
I’ve always said, in a SHTF situation I will not be without asswipe.... no ****ing way. My family use to laugh at that, until they asked if I had any extra rolls when the stores ran out.

I remember way back when, in the army, in the field, the only TP we had was in the C-rat packs,

there was just not enough of it after eating some of the C's not MRE's.

It was a small packet about the size of four "AA" batteries side by side.

That forced us to use other materials for a wipe, a lot less desirable in some cases.

Ever since that time I have been paranoid about the lack of ass wipe,

for 57 years now I have had a good supply on hand.

I guess you could say that was my first prepping store, without knowing it.