PDA

View Full Version : Great Value Brand Canned Roast Beef

StratBastard
04-01-2021, 12:50 AM
These go for $2.74 per 12 ounce can at Wal Mart (considerably less than the national branded can sitting next to it). Decided to buy one and give it a try for possible variety. Not bad at all. No, not as good as a roast right out of the oven. But certainly WAY better than the Keystone Canned Ground Beef recently reviewed on this forum. Has some broth in there, so not a full 12 ounces of meat. I suggest buying just one and trying it out. It's pretty good mixed up with some good mashed taters. I also used it in burritos. I can think of a lot of meals it would be good for... maybe mixed with a Cup of Soup/Ramen for a beef noodle bowl. Now that I know I'll eat it, I'll sit like a spider and wait for a sale. Then I'll buy a couple flats of it.

StratBastard
04-01-2021, 04:50 AM
Making old school Spam at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvAMWupNcs

1skrewsloose
04-01-2021, 09:37 AM
As in most things, peoples taste vary, myself, I like Keystone canned goods. A can of tomatoes, spices, beans, and a can of meat and you've got chili at the ready.

No matter what pre-packaged foods I buy, I doctor them all up so it tastes to my liking.

Most of the package meals are made to be so-so to appeal to the masses.( read bland)

StratBastard
04-01-2021, 11:22 AM
As in most things, peoples taste vary, myself, I like Keystone canned goods. A can of tomatoes, spices, beans, and a can of meat and you've got chili at the ready.

No matter what pre-packaged foods I buy, I doctor them all up so it tastes to my liking.

Most of the package meals are made to be so-so to appeal to the masses.( read bland)

To be clear: I didn't mean to disparage ALL Keystone products. I just found the ground beef product not to my liking. They have many others.

:chef:

1skrewsloose
04-01-2021, 11:27 AM
To be clear: I didn't mean to disparage ALL Keystone products. I just found the ground beef product not to my liking. They have many others.

:chef:

Point taken. no harm, no foul.

shootbrownelk
04-01-2021, 05:20 PM
Point taken. no harm, no foul.

There is Keystone fowl....canned chicken and turkey. Both are good. I buy my canned chicken at Sam's club.

SOCOM42
04-01-2021, 05:46 PM
I read this thread earlier today,

when I was out to wally world today I bought two cans of their store brand of RB, will give it a try.

Thanks StratMaster for bringing it to my forefront.

There were only 6 cans in a narrow space on the shelf,

never seen it there before, always look in that spot for the Keystone.

Have never seen the Keystone products in that store either, and I have looked over many years.

The roast beef was $2.47 a can.

Big Ken
04-01-2021, 07:25 PM
Now I'm hungry for it, it'll be on my list next time I go to the store.

bigwheel
04-01-2021, 07:29 PM
We snagged a case of Keystone chopped beef a few years back. Not bad. Makes a passable sloppy Joe with Manwich sauce and not bad in a beef stoup configureation. Still have quite a bit left for a rainey day. I go past the Wally World Neighborhood market going to and fro work each day and buy a lot of stuff in there. I will search out the roast beef. Thanks. Will vouch a lot of their store brand products are top rate. The cornflakes aint quite a good as
Tony the Tiger makes em..but they are a lot cheaper. lol.

NewRiverGeorge
07-12-2021, 07:28 AM
These go for $2.74 per 12 ounce can at Wal Mart (considerably less than the national branded can sitting next to it). Decided to buy one and give it a try for possible variety. Not bad at all. No, not as good as a roast right out of the oven. But certainly WAY better than the Keystone Canned Ground Beef recently reviewed on this forum. Has some broth in there, so not a full 12 ounces of meat. I suggest buying just one and trying it out. It's pretty good mixed up with some good mashed taters. I also used it in burritos. I can think of a lot of meals it would be good for... maybe mixed with a Cup of Soup/Ramen for a beef noodle bowl. Now that I know I'll eat it, I'll sit like a spider and wait for a sale. Then I'll buy a couple flats of it.

Bought a can and tried it. I agree wasn't bad at all, will start adding to the stock.

Mad Trapper
07-12-2021, 08:13 AM
I'm still with white tuna when it's <$1/can. As long as it's not Stanky Nancy's Starkist.

I'd can my own meats but process time of 90 minutes takes lots of energy.