PDA

View Full Version : 5 Necessary Items Your Winter Survival Kit Is Missing

hawgrider
01-22-2015, 09:33 AM
For those of us in the north.....ugg I hate snow.

Unfortunately, there are a few items that too many people overlook when putting together their winter survival kits. Here are five:
http://www.offthegridnews.com/2015/01/21/5-necessary-items-your-winter-survival-kit-is-missing/

justlooking
01-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Cat litter is in the trunk of my car starting in late October

Always have sunglasses to be found in a few locations in my car

Do need to get anextra outfit thrown in there

Actually I just really need to get off my ass and get my get home bag together

James m
01-25-2015, 11:48 AM
We need some news stations that will report about the weather ahead of a 16 inch snowstorm. I hope everyone in the northeast is ready. Its supposed to go from 2 am Monday to 6 pm Tuesday.

I think im pretty well prepared. But odd things always seem to come up.

Inor
01-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Be safe Jimbo.

rjd25
01-25-2015, 02:15 PM
I think we are in good shape here. The shelves are stocked thanks to wifey's extreme coupon habit. Gas cans are full for the generator just in case and an additional cord of wood is being delivered shortly. Bring the pain bitches!

James m
01-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Remind me when it starts. I always enjoy the train wreck down at the Walmart, the grocery store too. :p

Inor
01-25-2015, 07:17 PM
One of the best parts of a blizzard is being warned of it by Frankie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2dacLBUIhI

TJC44
01-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Yeah, they have upped the forecast for my area, too. I'll take the snow over the cold we had had a few weeks ago.

Inor
01-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Yeah, they have upped the forecast for my area, too. I'll take the snow over the cold we had had a few weeks ago.

Ditto that. It has actually been above freezing here for the past few days!

TJC44
01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Now we get to watch Gov. "Umm, Uhh" Malloy act like the total inept fool he is.

rjd25
01-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Now we get to watch Gov. "Umm, Uhh" Malloy act like the total inept fool he is.

HAHAHAHA I have often asked if his sign language lady signs the "uh uh um uh".

TJC44
01-25-2015, 08:01 PM
HAHAHAHA I have often asked if his sign language lady signs the "uh uh um uh".

Now THAT's funny!
And for some reason LT Gov. Wyman looks like she's got a stick up her a$$.

Coppertop
01-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Ditto that. It has actually been above freezing here for the past few days!

Here too- it's been unusually warm the last month. Feels more like spring.

justlooking
01-26-2015, 05:31 PM
I love seeing all the bread and milk getting boughten up.

I really want to ask people if they are planning on living on bread pudding

James m
01-26-2015, 05:40 PM
French toast.

Now they are talking about power outages and max 75 mph winds.

justlooking
01-26-2015, 05:59 PM
French toast sounds delicious

James m
01-26-2015, 08:08 PM
French toast was always the going joke around here. The people going to the grocery store always pick up milk, bread, and eggs. everything you need to make french toast except the cinnamon sugar.

The people are out here in their 4 wheelers or snowmobiles.

justlooking
01-26-2015, 08:22 PM
It is odd what people stock up on

I always grab TP

MrsInor
01-26-2015, 08:47 PM
I think we are going to have breakfast for supper - haven't made freedom toast in a while.

Pauls
01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
I had Texas toast with roast beef (medium rare), roasted potatoes with garlic and chives, spinach and a garden salad. The texas toast was made with todays sourdough and I just can't get over how it turned out. For those of you who like to read lables the contents of sourdough will surprise you.

by weight:
Water, flour, and salt (less than 1% salt by weight)

James m
01-26-2015, 09:03 PM
I had a frescetta frozen pizza. They were supposed to be a two fir deal but they didn't take the sign down so we argued and they decided to give them for $0.00 those people are weird.

justlooking
01-26-2015, 09:13 PM
I had a frescetta frozen pizza. They were supposed to be a two fir deal but they didn't take the sign down so we argued and they decided to give them for $0.00 those people are weird.
Nice.

Did mac and cheese with sloppy joe filling on top.

Cooked for the children tonight

James m
01-26-2015, 09:20 PM
One of my first girlfriends, all she could cook was mac and cheese. I still can't stand the stuff. 15-20 years later?

justlooking
01-26-2015, 09:21 PM
One of my first girlfriends, all she could cook was mac and cheese. I still can't stand the stuff. 15-20 years later?
I think it is nasty junk. They like the stuff out of the box with that powder crap

If you are gonna make it atleast make it from scratch

Inor
01-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Mrs Inor makes some seriously bad ass mac and cheese. I have no idea how she makes it, other than it includes hot peppers sometimes. But that stuff is so good I would do crime to get more!

If any of y'all are interested, I suggest you ask her.

justlooking
01-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Mrs Inor makes some seriously bad ass mac and cheese. I have no idea how she makes it, other than it includes hot peppers sometimes. But that stuff is so good I would do crime to get more!

If any of y'all are interested, I suggest you ask her.
Does Mrs Inor share recipes ;-)

James m
01-26-2015, 09:55 PM
I enjoy a good pasta salad especially with extra cheese and lunch meat. :D

Montana Rancher
02-05-2015, 09:33 PM
What a bunch of crap

1. bring a sleeping bag, if it gets that bad clothing will not help
2. F($%K the cat litter, be responsible and get decent tires in the fall, that failing have some tire chains.
3. A metal cup isn't bad, but the whole point is "melt" and that means fire, #3 should be a source of fire.
4. I've lived above the 45th parallel for my entire life, snowshoes are a waste of time.
5. Sunglasses, really? As I have a really decent pistol in my possession at all times, looks like (pun intended) I will just take your sun glasses.

So here is the real survival package

1. a sleeping bag
2. a way to procure water
3. a fire source
4. some backup food
5. Faith in something other than yourself

The "Sunglasses" point in #5 just pisses me off.

hawgrider
02-06-2015, 05:18 AM
What a bunch of crap

2. F($%K the cat litter, be responsible and get decent tires in the fall, that failing have some tire chains.
3. A metal cup isn't bad, but the whole point is "melt" and that means fire, #3 should be a source of fire.
4. I've lived above the 45th parallel for my entire life, snowshoes are a waste of time.
5. Sunglasses, really? As I have a really decent pistol in my possession at all times, looks like (pun intended) I will just take your sun glasses.

1. a sleeping bag
3. a fire source
4. some backup food

The devil is in the details.......
5 Necessary Items Your Winter Survival Kit Is Missing The article is about what your kit might be missing not the core items that your listing.

Example- Snow shoes. I too have spent much time at the 45th parallel. And at that location in Michigan happens to be right smack dab in the snow belt. Ive seen 26 inches of snow in 24 hours Ive seen 4ft of snow for the season. Moving thru the woods with even just 26" on the ground is difficult at best.

Sunglasses - Not as lame as you might think. I'll use the same area(45th parallel) for this example. Snow blindness is a bitch as I have experienced it in the tip of the mitt Sunglasses will save your eyes.

Kitty litter- Michigan we cant use chains. Most people run all season tires in this state which can get you in trouble in a real snowstorm. Kitty litter will get you un stuck on ice and snow ive used it.

James m
02-06-2015, 06:20 AM
This should be interesting....

hawgrider
02-06-2015, 06:58 AM
This should be interesting....I don't see why. I'm stating the truth and clarifying the articles intent. Whats the big deal ?

justlooking
02-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I don't see why. I'm stating the truth and clarifying the articles intent. Whats the big deal ?
I happen to agree.

Tip of the mitt gets hit hard

Sucks that we can not use chains. I would rather use them than the carpet squares and kitty litter smart people keep to get un stuck.

And being as we are never sure if it will be a light skiff of snow or a foot or more snowshoes are worth having. If you have to treck through a fresh snowfall breaking through it is a bitch. Rather walk on it

And yeah you might have a gun but if you can not aim because of the glare off the snow it is not going to do you much good in procuring sunglasses

DerBiermeister
02-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Not sure about the rest of you, but I know something that I would add to my "basic 5 list" for wintertime survival. It is something that I used extensively 60 years ago, and have just this year started using again for spending several hours out in the cold.

Jon-e Handwarmer

These things are amazing in the amount of heat they produce and staying lit for up to eight hours.

The last company to make them -- Orbex -- went out of business a few years back, so you no longer can buy them brand new. But, you can still find ones in perfect condition on eBay. I bought four of them recently.
As for fuel -- you buy VM&P Naptha at any hardware store or Lowes/HD.

Montana Rancher
02-06-2015, 11:15 PM
The devil is in the details....... The article is about what your kit might be missing not the core items that your listing.

Example- Snow shoes. I too have spent much time at the 45th parallel. And at that location in Michigan happens to be right smack dab in the snow belt. Ive seen 26 inches of snow in 24 hours Ive seen 4ft of snow for the season. Moving thru the woods with even just 26" on the ground is difficult at best.

Sunglasses - Not as lame as you might think. I'll use the same area(45th parallel) for this example. Snow blindness is a bitch as I have experienced it in the tip of the mitt Sunglasses will save your eyes.

Kitty litter- Michigan we cant use chains. Most people run all season tires in this state which can get you in trouble in a real snowstorm. Kitty litter will get you un stuck on ice and snow ive used it.

Not a problem, I often piss people off with my honest assessments. IMO if you are talking real survival then bring some chains for your wheels. (why not risk a fine putting on chains rather than risking death?)

Heck they say we can't shoot wolves out here but that doesn't stop us from saving our livestock, why should some stupid legislator stop you from saving your family.

Its called nullification, Tom Woods has a great book about it.

As for the show shoes, sorry again, simple logic says stay with your vehicle until you get some help (of course if you have chains this is less likely). Hoofing it out the ditch and to safety is a lot more complicated and risky than scooping the snow out from your exhaust pipe and staying put.

hawgrider
02-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Bottom line every situation has to be assessed. And then the appropriate action taken. Stay ? Go ? Chains? Kitty litter ? Man? Women? Kids or not? Each situation requires different actions and probably different suppys in the kit. No single definitive kit contents will work for everyone or every situation.

DerBiermeister
02-07-2015, 08:43 AM
What a bunch of crap

1. a sleeping bag
3. a fire source
4. some backup food

Montana -- I respect your input from someone who lives up in the tundra. But you missed the key point of the original article:

"When you venture into a remote area in the winter, you should have all of the basic items that every survival kit needs, such as water, knife and fire-starter. But being truly prepared for a winter survival situation means that you’ll need the additional survival tools relevant to winter survival."

As for your scoffing at this:
"5. Sunglasses. Sunglasses will prove their worth in a variety of different survival situations. You may ask: Who needs sunglasses in the winter time? Well, the sun’s reflection on snow only magnifies the effects of the sun’s rays, causing UV light to burn eye corneas if they meet their mark. Snow blindness is a serious problem in the winter time, and simply donning a pair of sunglasses will reduce the sun’s glare on your eyes significantly. You’ll have a greater chance for survival – and you’ll likely have fewer headaches, too"

Let me just say that I look at this a lot like the need for wearing good sunglasses out on the water -- same deal in-so-far as protection against the sun's reflection. (Since I've spent my life on the water, this is my domain.) And I would add -- you should make those sunglasses POLAROID.

Montana Rancher
02-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Ok, I will admit I was wrooooooooo, I mean I was wrooonnnnn, Crap I just can't say it.

I misunderstood the post in thinking it was a top 5 of the things to have, but really cat litter?

In all my years I've never heard that one, I often keep some bags of gravel in the pickup bed to give ballast and if you need traction, but I've never in my entire life which is longer than most here heard that cat litter promotes traction.

But being open minded I'll put a bag back and when I get stuck next time (in say the next 2-4 years) I'll give it a try... Though I doubt it will be as effective as my handy mans jack and my flat blade shovel (and my show chains)

I really can't believe a person would live in a nanny state where putting chains on your car to get unstuck would be a crime.

Lots of fun folks, keep up the banter

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Ok, I will admit I was wrooooooooo, I mean I was wrooonnnnn, Crap I just can't say it.

I misunderstood the post in thinking it was a top 5 of the things to have, but really cat litter?

In all my years I've never heard that one, I often keep some bags of gravel in the pickup bed to give ballast and if you need traction, but I've never in my entire life which is longer than most here heard that cat litter promotes traction.

But being open minded I'll put a bag back and when I get stuck next time (in say the next 2-4 years) I'll give it a try... Though I doubt it will be as effective as my handy mans jack and my flat blade shovel (and my show chains)

I really can't believe a person would live in a nanny state where putting chains on your car to get unstuck would be a crime.

Lots of fun folks, keep up the banterNah you weren't wrong Just a slight misunderstanding that's all.

Speaking from kitty cat experience. Cat litter actually works better than salt in some cases like on hard pack snow. Salt melts thru and honey combs the ice. Kitty litter stays on top and really does provide traction. Another trick I use which is the nuts for traction on ice is........ fire place ashes been using that for years too. And finally Yes Michigan Sucks back in the early 70's They banned studs in tires and chains to save the roads. Ironically we have the worst roads in the country.... Guess the ban didn't work quite like they thought.

justlooking
02-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Nah you weren't wrong Just a slight misunderstanding that's all.

Speaking from kitty cat experience. Cat litter actually works better than salt in some cases like on hard pack snow. Salt melts thru and honey combs the ice. Kitty litter stays on top and really does provide traction. Another trick I use which is the nuts for traction on ice is........ fire place ashes been using that for years too. And finally Yes Michigan Sucks back in the early 70's They banned studs in tires and chains to save the roads. Ironically we have the worst roads in the country.... Guess the ban didn't work quite like they thought.
Michigan has awful roads. Our county seems to be the worst for road matainance. Including snow removal

Local joke is if you are traveling far. If you can get out of our county you will then be good to go

James m
02-09-2015, 08:12 AM
50 pound bags of sand are $4 at Lowe's, so why buy kitty litter at $15 for 15 pounds? Will it work probably but its not going to be my first choice. If you're using kitty litter you might as well just go hang out with Bruce Jenner....

justlooking
02-09-2015, 08:15 AM
50 pound bags of sand are $4 at Lowe's, so why buy kitty litter at $15 for 15 pounds? Will it work probably but its not going to be my first choice. If you're using kitty litter you might as well just go hang out with Bruce Jenner....
Wow. Thats harsh.

I thought you were an evangelist. Must be baptist

James m
02-09-2015, 08:23 AM
By the power vested in me, i now pronounce your vehicle stuck!

justlooking
02-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Lol.

Inor
02-09-2015, 09:54 AM

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

justlooking
02-09-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't care who you are, that's funny!
Hopefully his prognostication does not come true.

Have yet to be stuck this year. *knock on wood*

Inor
02-09-2015, 10:09 AM
We have had very little snow this year. I was talking with a business associate from Idaho last week and he was lamenting what a terrible winter we were having in Minnesota. I laughed and said it was 35 degrees out and most of the snow was melting. Almost every big storm this year has gone south of us and clobbered Chi-town, then moved north into your neighborhood. I can actually see grass around the bottoms of the trees right now! I think I have actually had to fire up the snowblower twice this year! Yay global warming!

justlooking
02-09-2015, 10:15 AM
We have had very little snow this year. I was talking with a business associate from Idaho last week and he was lamenting what a terrible winter we were having in Minnesota. I laughed and said it was 35 degrees out and most of the snow was melting. Almost every big storm this year has gone south of us and clobbered Chi-town, then moved north into your neighborhood. I can actually see grass around the bottoms of the trees right now! I think I have actually had to fire up the snowblower twice this year! Yay global warming!
Dislike!!

We have had 113" so far

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
50 pound bags of sand are $4 at Lowe's, so why buy kitty litter at $15 for 15 pounds? Will it work probably but its not going to be my first choice. If you're using kitty litter you might as well just go hang out with Bruce Jenner.... Hey **** off faggot..... Well see how good your idea is when your play sand is frozen solid. Obviously you have never used sand bags in the winter ****in kids all rookies they are..... Geeezus why do I even bother. Buy em books buy em books all they do is eat the covers.

Inor
02-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Dislike!!

We have had 113" so far

It started out like it was going to be a really bad winter. We had a big snow and sub-zero highs before Thanksgiving. But since then, it has been really mild. We were out driving around on Saturday and I commented to Mrs Inor that the Mississippi river looks now like it normally does in mid-March.

James m
02-09-2015, 12:36 PM
And if you're stuck long enough and have to use the litter under the tires as a bathroom.

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
And if you're stuck long enough and have to use the litter under the tires as a bathroom.Yeah and if your traveling by car and don't want to stop to use the bathroom you can put some of that kitty litter in your diaper to absorb anything before it stains the seats in your Mazda .:D

James m
02-09-2015, 01:11 PM
https://www.depend.com/products/get-samples

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
https://www.depend.com/products/get-samplesThere ya go... Astronaut approved.

James m
02-09-2015, 01:14 PM
I thought you would get excited about the coupon! You being on a fixed income and everything....

hawgrider
02-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I thought you would get excited about the coupon! You being on a fixed income and everything....
Really? I didn't see the coupon. I'll go back and print it out. Thanks James I would have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Montana Rancher
02-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Nah you weren't wrong Just a slight misunderstanding that's all.

My first job outside the family business (I sound like a gangsta) was retreading tires, the popular retreat for the highway patrol was a tread that had walnuts in the rubber to promote traction. I never purchased a set but they were very popular in the... haha.. late 1970's

I would guess it was the precursor to siping tires.

Edit (it was actually 1979 they year before I entered the Army)

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 06:11 AM
https://www.depend.com/products/get-samplesJames you were so nice to me I thought id return the favor. Your favorite color is now available-

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11004923&cp=2255957.2273443.3426509.3243655.43301636.433013 46&parentPage=family

James m
02-10-2015, 07:31 AM
http://www.spinlife.com/category.cfm?categoryID=3

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 07:35 AM
http://www.spinlife.com/category.cfm?categoryID=3
^^Thats for city dwellers^^

Here is the one I have-

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608002855145967555&pid=15.1&P=0

Oh and here in case you decide to paint your face again.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q1MEMsjzKBE/UcUBN2RR_PI/AAAAAAAAFtU/-8CGfjIWBFY/s1600/FingerPaint1.jpg

James m
02-10-2015, 08:13 AM
You need to slow down in that thing. Your reaction time is decreasing.

70MPH Mobility Scooter in the SNOW: http://youtu.be/zy5rkw4SeP4

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 09:02 AM
You need to slow down in that thing. Your reaction time is decreasing.

70MPH Mobility Scooter in the SNOW: http://youtu.be/zy5rkw4SeP4That one looks like fun right there!

James m
02-10-2015, 10:59 AM
A busty and beautiful bikini girl dances Se@xxxx…: http://youtu.be/Ofbx3vMLjxU

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 11:07 AM
A busty and beautiful bikini girl dances Se@xxxx…: http://youtu.be/Ofbx3vMLjxUWell.... as the conversation has drifted and we can see what James is doing in his spare time........ Some of James preps Must include this and a box of Kleenex.

http://d3f650ayx9w00n.cloudfront.net/700/24409-3.jpg

James m
02-10-2015, 11:39 AM
This is where our Medicare tax dollars are going.
Halee Model - Naughty Nurse Outfit: http://youtu.be/vWCGLd4F8Ho

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 11:46 AM
This is where our Medicare tax dollars are going.
Halee Model - Naughty Nurse Outfit: http://youtu.be/vWCGLd4F8Ho

James we told you to do that in private....

http://images.wikia.com/plasniskpedia/es/images/2/22/Jack_nicholson.gif

James m
02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
At least mine still works.

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 12:30 PM
At least mine still works.So all you have do now.... Is "Gotta find a women ".....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU

That is unless you would rather hang with Bruce Jenner.

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 12:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_6gYWXsUM#t=31

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 12:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XPlDklh2E

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 12:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5NgbBoqCpw#t=17

James m
02-10-2015, 01:07 PM
So all you have do now.... Is "Gotta find a women ".....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU

That is unless you would rather hang with Bruce Jenner.

Is that how they did it in your time?

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Is that how they did it in your time?Yep still works today. Just go to the beach and look for Bertha..... Bertha butt..... she's one of the butt sisters.

James m
02-10-2015, 04:41 PM
How long have you known that young lady?

hawgrider
02-10-2015, 07:29 PM
How long have you known that young lady?
That's the best you got? U failed in the wit department.

Game over

James m
02-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Left or right. its your decision.

James m
02-10-2015, 10:17 PM
If your regular keyed lock is frozen up, try heating the key with a lighter, or hand sanitizer, not both. A quick and easy way to remove ice from a windshield is to pour gasoline over the windshield and light it on fire, you can also use this to heat up the key. Just kidding! Do not do that unless you own a prius!

justlooking
02-11-2015, 08:56 AM
If your regular keyed lock is frozen up, try heating the key with a lighter, or hand sanitizer, not both. A quick and easy way to remove ice from a windshield is to pour gasoline over the windshield and light it on fire, you can also use this to heat up the key. Just kidding! Do not do that unless you own a prius!
Hmmm. I'll try this method on innkeeper's vehicle

Innkeeper
02-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Hmmm. I'll try this method on innkeeper's vehicle

Your welcome to drive your own car to work..... I have no problem locking the doors on the Jeep to keep the bad people out.

Innkeeper
02-11-2015, 03:03 PM
It started out like it was going to be a really bad winter. We had a big snow and sub-zero highs before Thanksgiving. But since then, it has been really mild. We were out driving around on Saturday and I commented to Mrs Inor that the Mississippi river looks now like it normally does in mid-March.

Our winter started that way also then got mild and while we have been getting plenty of snow it has been nothing like last year, I have definitely not pulled the Deere out of the Garage very much this year.