PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re berries

MountainGirl
05-01-2021, 11:42 AM
I'm going to start a berry patch.

Any reason I can't plant raspberries and blackberries in the same patch?

Thanks!

Slippy
05-01-2021, 11:54 AM

Thanks!

If you're worried about some sort of Cross Polination, I have no idea.

But I do know wherever you plant berries, DEER PROOF THEM!

Mad Trapper
05-01-2021, 12:22 PM
Slippy, it's the bears not the deer.

Innkeeper
05-01-2021, 02:48 PM

Thanks!When I was a Land Surveyor I saw both growing by each other in the wild and on old farmstead/home plots all the time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mad Trapper
05-01-2021, 04:39 PM
I don't think issues with blacks and reds, blues need low pH/soil.

Dwight55
05-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Thanks!

Once they get established . . . send me your address . . . I'll take the job of coming and taste testing them . . . one cannot be too careful about what you plant where.

Mom always thought I was one of her best tasters . . . she would mention it every time we went berry pickin . . . "Been tasting them again, have you?"

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: plant em together . . . no problems . . . other than making sure you pick what you wanted.

MountainGirl
05-01-2021, 05:32 PM
Once they get established . . . send me your address . . . I'll take the job of coming and taste testing them . . . one cannot be too careful about what you plant where.

Mom always thought I was one of her best tasters . . . she would mention it every time we went berry pickin . . . "Been tasting them again, have you?"

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: plant em together . . . no problems . . . other than making sure you pick what you wanted.

You've got a deal!! You can also taste test our blueberries, apples and cherries! :)

Inor
05-01-2021, 08:54 PM
We have them planted together. It makes it much easier for the rabbits to eat all of them at once. GRRR!!!

And if you think your wildlife is tough... The ****ing rabbits ate our horseradish!!! RABBITS for God's sake! The little bastards are probably poisonous too!

hawgrider
05-01-2021, 09:01 PM
We have them planted together. It makes it much easier for the rabbits to eat all of them at once. GRRR!!!

And if you think your wildlife is tough... The ****ing rabbits ate our horseradish!!! RABBITS for God's sake! The little bastards are probably poisonous too!

The cure-

Louisiana rabbit steaks Mmm mm good!

MountainGirl
05-01-2021, 10:44 PM
Much to consider.

Thanks all for your replies! :)

Sasquatch
05-01-2021, 10:53 PM
Good luck with the berries. Hope they are bountiful.

I got a Boysenberry vine from Knott's Berry Farm last year. It's got some buds on it now. Hoping to get some berries from it this year.

Mad Trapper
05-02-2021, 03:35 AM

Never had any critter problem with the horseradish. Probably because they have so much else to pilfer that tastes better.

Reminds me I need to get some pellets for the air rifle

Sasquatch
05-02-2021, 03:47 AM

I've got a buddy that lives in AZ and they eat his palms. So little nutrients in the desert they'll go for whatever they can get. He put up chicken wire around the small trees and problem solved.

Mad Trapper
05-02-2021, 03:58 AM
I've got a buddy that lives in AZ and they eat his palms. So little nutrients in the desert they'll go for whatever they can get. He put up chicken wire around the small trees and problem solved.

Was a real bad winter for vole problems here. Stripped 2 apples of over a foot of bark, they are goners. Also devoured the root system of a mature blueberry. You need a real fine mesh fencing to keep those little basturds out. I've considered getting a 1/2 dozen barn cats.

MountainGirl
05-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Heading into town to see if any berry plants left.
Might stop & pick up barbed wire, fine mesh fencing, a couple Rottweilers and an AK.

MountainGirl
05-02-2021, 08:20 PM
No blackberries at all, the few raspberries were sub-par, so switched to plan B.
Plum Trees! Two nice beauties. :)
I'll post pics in the gardening thread after I dig them in tomorrow morning.

Sasquatch
05-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Heading into town to see if any berry plants left.
Might stop & pick up barbed wire, fine mesh fencing, a couple Rottweilers and an AK.

Spme people go to extremes. You may have to think about this option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD9luE3f-Sw

No blackberries at all, the few raspberries were sub-par, so switched to plan B.
Plum Trees! Two nice beauties. :)
I'll post pics in the gardening thread after I dig them in tomorrow morning.

I have a plum. Its fully mature and hasn't produced anything since I've had the house (2 years). Hoping this year I get something.

Mad Trapper
05-02-2021, 09:11 PM
Spme people go to extremes. You may have to think about this option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD9luE3f-Sw

I have a plum. Its fully mature and hasn't produced anything since I've had the house (2 years). Hoping this year I get something.

You need another plum for pollination, they are not self-fruitful. They also require insects for pollination (bees)

A good reference for growing fruits (trees, grapes, berries, brambles........). Downloadable PDF from Cornell Coop extension, 111 pages, see page 8

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/67/Cornell_Guide_to_Growing_Fruit.pdf?sequence=2

Sasquatch
05-03-2021, 01:41 AM
You need another plum for pollination, they are not self-fruitful. They also require insects for pollination (bees)

A good reference for growing fruits (trees, grapes, berries, brambles........). Downloadable PDF from Cornell Coop extension, 111 pages, see page 8

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/67/Cornell_Guide_to_Growing_Fruit.pdf?sequence=2

Thank you I'm going to check this out. But I did get three plums last year but they never matured. The got about the size of a ping pong ball and then just died off. So I'm guessing there is another plum somewhere in the area? We have tons of bees. They seem to really like my key lime tree. I'm thinking of building a box and seeing if I can coax a queen to move in.

MountainGirl
05-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Thank you I'm going to check this out. But I did get three plums last year but they never matured. The got about the size of a ping pong ball and then just died off. So I'm guessing there is another plum somewhere in the area? We have tons of bees. They seem to really like my key lime tree. I'm thinking of building a box and seeing if I can coax a queen to move in.

Make sure you have two different varieties. I got a Shiro and a Santa Rosa, a combo that works really well up here. Just waiting for it to warm up a bit, 38° overnight, in a couple hours it will be digging time! I like digging. :)

Mad Trapper
05-03-2021, 10:07 AM
If you are planting apples a good solution to having good pollination is to plant a couple of crab apples. They put out a ton of blossoms and draw in honey bees too.