PDA

View Full Version : Goat Pen Project

Sasquatch
05-01-2021, 10:46 PM
My goats were taking up too much space so being the evil landlord I am I downsized their pen. On the upside the new one looks nicer than the crappy chain link that was here when I bought the place.

Spent last weekend setting the posts and building the hog wire panels.

Here's the basic finished product. Gonna put some caps on the post and do a few other things. I'll post more pics when I do it. Cost around $850. Damn wood has gotten expensive.

That's the boy in with the goats. Bonnie and Clyde seemed to like it.

MountainGirl
05-01-2021, 10:56 PM
That looks really nice!
Do they have a covered place to go for shade or if it starts raining?
Oh wait, I see the entrance to their suite now. That's good.
Last thing you want is wet goats. :jester:

Sasquatch
05-01-2021, 11:00 PM
That looks really nice!
Do they have a covered place to go for shade or if it starts raining?
Oh wait, I see the entrance to their suite now. That's good.
Last thing you want is wet goats. :jester:

Yeah they're not too fond of water. Every time I water the Key Lime tree you see in the pics or the blood orange behind it they run.

Denton
05-01-2021, 11:07 PM
Sas, that looks very nice.
The goats are living in an upscale condo, now.

Inor
05-02-2021, 01:08 AM
Nicely done! Those look like awesome fences!

Are goats good to eat? A neighbor's goat just had babies and they are selling them. Neither Mrs Inor or I want them as pets as we already have too many animals and she has a bunch more on order, but if Goat-A-Roni or something similar is good...

stevekozak
05-02-2021, 01:24 AM
If your goats multiply and you have a Muslim population nearby, you can open a brothel.

Sasquatch
05-02-2021, 03:49 AM

Are goats good to eat? A neighbor's goat just had babies and they are selling them. Neither Mrs Inor or I want them as pets as we already have too many animals and she has a bunch more on order, but if Goat-A-Roni or something similar is good...

Thanks!

Ours are pets but I have already told HN if push comes to shove we are eating them. And she agrees. Pets for the kids...back ups for me.

Slippy
05-02-2021, 05:43 AM
My goats were taking up too much space so being the evil landlord I am I downsized their pen. On the upside the new one looks nicer than the crappy chain link that was here when I bought the place.

Spent last weekend setting the posts and building the hog wire panels.

Here's the basic finished product. Gonna put some caps on the post and do a few other things. I'll post more pics when I do it. Cost around $850. Damn wood has gotten expensive.

That's the boy in with the goats. Bonnie and Clyde seemed to like it.

Excellent project Sas my boy! I'm assuming thats treated lumber?

Prepared One
05-02-2021, 08:20 AM
I think those goats are living better then I am.......................

Slippy
05-02-2021, 08:50 AM
One of my favorite sayings when I hear of someone getting ripped off is;

Damn, they screwed you like a tied Goat at a mosque picnic!

Innkeeper
05-02-2021, 09:18 AM
If your goats multiply and you have a Muslim population nearby, you can open a brothel.The do sheep and eat goats.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Innkeeper
05-02-2021, 09:21 AM

Are goats good to eat? A neighbor's goat just had babies and they are selling them. Neither Mrs Inor or I want them as pets as we already have too many animals and she has a bunch more on order, but if Goat-A-Roni or something similar is good...When I was in Iraq I ate a few times with the Iraqi security team I was over seeing. The stuffed grape leaves had goat meat in it, wasn't too bad.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Piratesailor
05-02-2021, 09:37 AM
Damn nice SAS.. so where is the couch and big screen TV?

Gambit
05-02-2021, 09:52 AM
looks good and better then anything i can do

now we need someone to add a mexican children joke here

1skrewsloose
05-02-2021, 12:33 PM

My wife who is Peruvian says they eat "Cabrito", made from baby goats. They use the same name for many ways to cook goat. I had it a few times in Mexico and was made with whole goat shoulder.

SGG
05-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Really excellent job. Goat meat is delicious I've had it in a soup in Mexico. Girlfriend's rich doctor aunt and uncle had me over and brought out the Jack Daniels which is high-class there. I was polite but I finished my bowl of soup before anyone else and asked for more. Girlfriend told me later that was rude but the family seemed excited I liked it and kept pouring me soup and shots. The soup was a little rich and greasy from the goat meat. But I loved it

Can't wake the banned. :pirateflag:

bigwheel
05-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Good job! Maybe you could get some good ideas from Slippy on how to make it look like a Nor'leans Hooer House like he did with his chicken palace. Japanese lanterns on top of the posts are a nice touch.

Sasquatch
05-02-2021, 08:51 PM
Excellent project Sas my boy! I'm assuming thats treated lumber?

Yep. I also put a sealer on them too.

Sparkyprep
05-03-2021, 04:58 PM
I have raised a few goats in my time. They hate water. They need a place to get out of the rain. You can actually keep goats penned in with just a shallow ditch full of water. They won't cross it. Also, they are very susceptible to hoof rot. They need to live on dry ground. Goats are NOT grazers, like cows or horses. That isn't to say they won't eat grass, but they do not prefer it. They are more closely related to deer, and prefer to forage. They love bushes, trees, etc., and will strip it bare in minutes. Their meat also tastes similar to venison, in my opinion. They love to climb, on ANYTHING, and this can get them into trouble. Overall, I found that they were a PITA to keep, and I wasn't getting enough return to make it worth it for me. Your mileage may vary.

Sasquatch
05-30-2021, 10:44 PM
We had to move the fire pit area because that is where the pool is going. The fire pit area is now next to the goat pen. Tore out some grass, moved a few sprinklers lines, leveled the bitch and it was ready.

Got a few railroad ties, put down some weed paper and then moved a BUNCH of rock. My back is feeling it already. But it is done.

Inor
05-30-2021, 11:07 PM
VERY NICE!!! Atta boy!

Slippy
05-31-2021, 03:07 AM
We had to move the fire pit area because that is where the pool is going. The fire pit area is now next to the goat pen. Tore out some grass, moved a few sprinklers lines, leveled the bitch and it was ready.

Got a few railroad ties, put down some weed paper and then moved a BUNCH of rock. My back is feeling it already. But it is done.

Outstanding Job!