PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year Review EGO Battery Powered Lawn Mower-Genius!

Slippy
05-15-2021, 06:45 AM

A couple of years ago my 20+ year old Craftsmen Internal Combustion Engine (Gas) Lawn Mower died so I bought a Battery Powered Self Propelled mower from some company called EGO. (WTF is EGO?)

Anyway, I was sick of ICEngines and while Slippy Lodge is on about 30 acres, the grass around the house is only about 1000 Square Feet so I took the plunge into Battery Powered Mowing.

And boy did I make a GENIUS call! The damn thing starts every time with ease, is light, manueverable, easy to clean, virtually no maintenance, and the self propel feature makes it easy to operate...and that means an Old Mean Ornery Devil Woman can mow with ease! And there in lies the Genius of my decision to go battery powered mower!

Mrs Slippy and I have been married for a long damn time. We've had a number of houses, each with a lawn. And I can count on one hand the times that Mrs S mowed the lawn by herself...that is until we got the EGO Battery Mower!

I have not mowed the lawn 1 time this year and only a handful of times last year, she has take over the lawn mowing duty!

Slippy, you are farking BRILLIANT!

stevekozak
05-15-2021, 08:14 AM
Good move on getting the old lady to do the work, Slippster!! How long is the battery projected to last?

Slippy
05-15-2021, 08:43 AM
Good move on getting the old lady to do the work, Slippster!! How long is the battery projected to last?

Mowing our little patch of grass takes less than 20% of the full charge. Mrs S uses the bag option and feeds the clippings to the chickens or the compost pile.

As far as the long term life of the battery, I have no idea. Hopefully it gives us at least 5 years or so?

https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-self-propelled-mower/

stevekozak
05-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Mowing our little patch of grass takes less than 20% of the full charge. Mrs S uses the bag option and feeds the clippings to the chickens or the compost pile.

As far as the long term life of the battery, I have no idea. Hopefully it gives us at least 5 years or so?

I checked it out a little. Looks like the batteries have a 3 year warranty. I suspect yours will last significantly longer with the way you are using it. Batteries cost about $350 at Lowes. Probably source cheaper elsewhere. If I had a really small yard, I would consider one just to not have to mess with gasoline, carburetors, and exhaust fumes. Also, the older I get, the less yanking on a starter rope appeals to me.

Slippy
05-15-2021, 10:59 AM
I checked it out a little. Looks like the batteries have a 3 year warranty. I suspect yours will last significantly longer with the way you are using it. Batteries cost about $350 at Lowes. Probably source cheaper elsewhere. If I had a really small yard, I would consider one just to not have to mess with gasoline, carburetors, and exhaust fumes. Also, the older I get, the less yanking on a starter rope appeals to me.

Totally agree.

I have a couple of DeWalt Impact Drivers and Drills that the battery has lasted me dang near 10 years and when I use the impact drivers, I use the hell out of them.

I bought a Battery Powered Oregon Pole Saw last year (review somewhere here on OTP) and just having the ability to start-stop the pole saw with its trigger when I'm walking up and down my roads, is golden. No noise, no vibration, no fumes etc and no pulling the rope if it stalls!!!

The constant noise, vibration and exhaust of a gas engine pole saw attachement on my Stihl machine was driving me crazy.

Hopefully one day I'll get my Mini-Solar Power Station up and running and set up all my batteries to charge through it. At least that's my goal.

bigwheel
05-15-2021, 02:31 PM

A couple of years ago my 20+ year old Craftsmen Internal Combustion Engine (Gas) Lawn Mower died so I bought a Battery Powered Self Propelled mower from some company called EGO. (WTF is EGO?)

Anyway, I was sick of ICEngines and while Slippy Lodge is on about 30 acres, the grass around the house is only about 1000 Square Feet so I took the plunge into Battery Powered Mowing.

And boy did I make a GENIUS call! The damn thing starts every time with ease, is light, manueverable, easy to clean, virtually no maintenance, and the self propel feature makes it easy to operate...and that means an Old Mean Ornery Devil Woman can mow with ease! And there in lies the Genius of my decision to go battery powered mower!

Mrs Slippy and I have been married for a long damn time. We've had a number of houses, each with a lawn. And I can count on one hand the times that Mrs S mowed the lawn by herself...that is until we got the EGO Battery Mower!

I have not mowed the lawn 1 time this year and only a handful of times last year, she has take over the lawn mowing duty!

Slippy, you are farking BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the report. I have a battery powered weed eater frm that company. Works good a bit clumsy and ergonomically incrorrect for us full figured boys but other than give me a back ache it does pretty good. its a bit back heavy The battery should go on the other end.

Inor
05-15-2021, 06:16 PM

If the batteries on your mower are like most other battery powered things (everything from laptops to Tesla cars), they are just made up of 18650 cells. I have several Dewalt drills that I have rebuilt the battery packs for. They use the same cells. Usually when one cell goes bad, the whole pack quits. So just take the pack apart and use a multimeter to find the bad cell and replace it and you are golden for another couple years. The cells are anywhere between $1 and $5 each depending on the brand.

I use my Dewalt tools a LOT and have never had to buy a whole new battery pack. Fixing up a faulty pack is good evening project when you are sitting in the shop having a few beers.

Dwight55
05-15-2021, 07:44 PM
If the batteries on your mower are like most other battery powered things (everything from laptops to Tesla cars), they are just made up of 18650 cells. I have several Dewalt drills that I have rebuilt the battery packs for. They use the same cells. Usually when one cell goes bad, the whole pack quits. So just take the pack apart and use a multimeter to find the bad cell and replace it and you are golden for another couple years. The cells are anywhere between $1 and $5 each depending on the brand.

I use my Dewalt tools a LOT and have never had to buy a whole new battery pack. Fixing up a faulty pack is good evening project when you are sitting in the shop having a few beers.

Ya did good my friend . . . we all like to have that good "info" that puts us into a creative or maintaining frame of mind.

I do have one quick question though.

My Porter Cable 20 V battery drill came with 2 batteries and a charger.

How do I create the outer case for the 18650 cells when one of the batteries makes a run for it.

Dude done up and got away . . . left no tracks or trail anywhere.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend 20 bucks on Ebay one more time.

May God bless,
Dwight

White Shadow
05-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Nice. I just bought one of those mowers a few weeks ago to replace a corded electric that may or may not have been broken by a perhaps slightly over enthusiastic use of a ratchet. Originally bought the corded electric one years ago because the wife said she would mow the lawn if she didn't have to start the gas engine. She did it all of once.

These days I make the teenagers in the house mow the lawn, so it's still good.

A few years ago my wife wandered into the back yard straight off of her motorcycle while I was mowing to point out the WWII planes coming in for the local show. Since she hadn't bothered to take her helmet off ( she was going right back out ), I told her to grab the handle of the lawnmower and look right. Snapped the picture before she figured out what I was up to.

Inor
05-16-2021, 12:36 AM
Ya did good my friend . . . we all like to have that good "info" that puts us into a creative or maintaining frame of mind.

I do have one quick question though.

My Porter Cable 20 V battery drill came with 2 batteries and a charger.

How do I create the outer case for the 18650 cells when one of the batteries makes a run for it.

Dude done up and got away . . . left no tracks or trail anywhere.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend 20 bucks on Ebay one more time.

May God bless,
Dwight

Take the existing plastic case apart. Inside you will find the cells. On my Dewalt, I was able to cut it apart along the joint lines with a carpet knife, then glue it back together with CA glue. Inside, the batteries were spot welded together, but the spot welds were easy to break and I just used solder to put the new cell in. Works like a champ.

Broncosfan
05-16-2021, 06:37 AM
I haven't went as far as a cordless mower but I now have a Dewalt pole saw and hedge cutter combo along with a Dewalt cordless chainsaw. I bought them mostly to help keep the trails cleaned up. I don't use them for hours and hours but there great to throw on the back of the atv when the trails need a little clean up work.

Slippy
05-16-2021, 08:39 AM
I haven't went as far as a cordless mower but I now have a Dewalt pole saw and hedge cutter combo along with a Dewalt cordless chainsaw. I bought them mostly to help keep the trails cleaned up. I don't use them for hours and hours but there great to throw on the back of the atv when the trails need a little clean up work.

Totally agree, the power technology in these tools have finally reached acceptable levels. Yes, they are "pricey" but reliability, convenience, and results are there and I'm willing to pay for that.

Broncosfan
05-16-2021, 10:16 AM
Totally agree, the power technology in these tools have finally reached acceptable levels. Yes, they are "pricey" but reliability, convenience, and results are there and I'm willing to pay for that.

Yes the tools are getting better. I didn't get the 60 volt chainsaw didn't want the extra weight. Its just so easy to grab the chainsaw and take off on the atv. A fully charged battery makes a lot of limb cuts. I also have a Dewalt grease gun. It heavy but it only takes a few seconds to grease the tractor to implements. Hit the button and move on.

bigwheel
05-16-2021, 08:21 PM
I tried to say I have an Ego brand weed eater that works but but gives me a back ache from being back heavy but looks like somebody in charge didnt like it. Now I cant see it.

Inor
05-16-2021, 09:00 PM
Yes the tools are getting better. I didn't get the 60 volt chainsaw didn't want the extra weight. Its just so easy to grab the chainsaw and take off on the atv. A fully charged battery makes a lot of limb cuts. I also have a Dewalt grease gun. It heavy but it only takes a few seconds to grease the tractor to implements. Hit the button and move on.

A power grease gun?!?! That is hilarious! I have not quite yet reached that level of sloth although I am trying. I commend you for making the final push to the promised land! :biglaugh: (My grease gun is still the old hand-pump job.)

Broncosfan
05-16-2021, 10:05 PM
A power grease gun?!?! That is hilarious! I have not quite yet reached that level of sloth although I am trying. I commend you for making the final push to the promised land! :biglaugh: (My grease gun is still the old hand-pump job.)

I bought it because using a regular grease gun can be a pain in the a**. I have found many times that I need to hold the grease gun hose onto the fitting becasue the fitting leaks at the connection. Then try to pump the handle with one hand can be a challenge. So with the Dewalt grease gun you can hold the hose on the fitting with one hand and use your other hand to hold the gun and squeeze the trigger. The Dewalt is heavy but it even comes with a carry strap which I don't use.14721

BucketBack
05-17-2021, 02:29 PM
As someone who just uncovered my lawn / weeds system. Electric looks good

Sparkyprep
05-19-2021, 07:14 PM
I bought it because using a regular grease gun can be a pain in the a**. I have found many times that I need to hold the grease gun hose onto the fitting becasue the fitting leaks at the connection. Then try to pump the handle with one hand can be a challenge. So with the Dewalt grease gun you can hold the hose on the fitting with one hand and use your other hand to hold the gun and squeeze the trigger. The Dewalt is heavy but it even comes with a carry strap which I don't use.14721

We use that exact model at work all the time. Some of our motors take 1-2 entire tubes of grease to fully grease the lower bearings.

shootbrownelk
05-20-2021, 11:35 AM

I hope for Ford's sake the new F-150 "Lightning" electric 4WD wonder truck's batteries last longer than 3 years. If a lawnmower's battery costs $350.00 I can't imagine what that Ford's battery/batteries cost. I have a Home depot Rigid power tool set and the replacement batteries were advertised as being free for life. Yeah, Right. I got the run around from them for months and months before they told me they "discontinued" that warranty, how nice and convenient for them. They said I should contact Rigid about the batteries. In other words...go F**K yourself.