PDA

View Full Version : Flooding from Louisiana storms turns deadly

BucketBack
05-19-2021, 04:48 AM
Mayor Nic Hunter said hundreds of structures were flooded, but assessments were ongoing.

By Tuesday morning, more than 10 inches of rain had been recorded in Baton Rouge, according to the National Weather Service.

https://www.aol.com/news/flooding-louisiana-storms-turns-deadly-030630139.html

Meanwhile west MI has a 3" rain deficit

Amos 4:7

BucketBack
05-19-2021, 05:01 AM
Mayor Nic Hunter said hundreds of structures were flooded, but assessments were ongoing.

By Tuesday morning, more than 10 inches of rain had been recorded in Baton Rouge, according to the National Weather Service.

Amos 4:7

Slippy
05-19-2021, 05:36 AM
Most of Baton Rouge, LA and surrounding areas are built flood plains. New Housing development has exploded in that area in recent years compounding the water drainage issues.

Too many people living on low land near a big ass river.

stevekozak
05-19-2021, 06:06 AM
Must have been a big flood that it needed two threads...:smashfreak:

BucketBack
05-19-2021, 06:46 AM
Must have been a big flood that it needed two threads...:smashfreak:

link to the dupe ?

stevekozak
05-19-2021, 07:02 AM
I don't have a link. When I opened up OTP this morning, there were two identical threads, showing as being posted 2 minutes apart. I opened both of them and commented in this one. Could just be a OTP glitch.

stevekozak
05-19-2021, 07:03 AM
Actually, here it is:

https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?18258-Flooding-from-Louisiana-storms-turns-deadly&p=209062#post209062

stevekozak
05-19-2021, 07:04 AM
Hallooo Bucketback! :bounce:

Innkeeper
05-19-2021, 07:35 AM

Amos 4:7Woke up to rain here in Northern.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hawgrider
05-19-2021, 07:37 AM
if one is good two is better right?:behindsofa:

Big Ken
05-19-2021, 08:56 AM
Most of Baton Rouge, LA and surrounding areas are built flood plains. New Housing development has exploded in that area in recent years compounding the water drainage issues.

Too many people living on low land near a big ass river.

You would think they'd learn their lesson with New Orleans.

hawgrider
05-19-2021, 08:58 AM
You would think they'd learn their lesson with New Orleans.

No shit keep rebuilding there then tough luck dumbasses!

1skrewsloose
05-19-2021, 09:13 AM
What irks me about those people and those that build close to the coast is that they cry to the Gov to help them re-build.

Then all of us end up paying for acts of nature because they consider themselves "special".

I really don't know why they allow it, some places forbid by law from building in the flood plain.

Slippy
05-19-2021, 12:41 PM
What irks me about those people and those that build close to the coast is that they cry to the Gov to help them re-build.

Then all of us end up paying for acts of nature because they consider themselves "special".

I really don't know why they allow it, some places forbid by law from building in the flood plain.

I know SE Louisiana very well and the simple answer is Corrupt Politicians and a Huge Federal and State Pocketbook.

A few years ago I was looking at a lot on Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana. Our plan was to build a vacation home but also a place that I could live while I was doing work in the area. The lot was beautiful and the view of the lake was gorgeous. The lot was VERY reasonably priced.

But in order to build anything I had to grease multiple palms; I had to use local Architect, local Engineer, PLUS a Parish (Louisiana has Parishes not Counties) Engineer to confirm what the 1st Engineer found, then I had to pay a HUGE Fee for a Permit, wait until all the Engineer's and Architects got on the same page, which rarely happened THEN apply for Septic Or Sewer/Water/Electricity/Nat Gas....all of which was reviewed and approved by the Parish President (the equivelent of a county commissioner) rumor had it that NOTHING got approved at "list price", there was always an additional fee that went to someone connected.

IF the Parish President didn't like the Engineer or Architect or Builder you started from scratch. All in, I would have spent over 90K BEFORE I got to start building an 800 Square Foot Raised Cabin. And that did not include the cost of the lot which was only 45K, a reasonable priced lot. The whole thing was FUBAR!

BUT if you had enough money to grease the Parish President's palm as well as all of the utlilities and engineers and architects AND was the right builder, you could get anything done. I was not the right person nor did I have the money to grease palms.

We missed out on a beautiful lake lot but in the end it wasn't worth the money...
I heard that a large builder has started building some multi million dollar lake homes on that very lot that we were looking at.

Piratesailor
05-19-2021, 03:10 PM
We have about 7” of rain down by galveston. And still raining.

Sparkyprep
05-19-2021, 06:01 PM
In a terrible drought here. I am going broke buying hay, because there is no grass in my pastures. This sucks.