PDA

View Full Version : My first chainsaw carving

Sasquatch
05-31-2021, 08:16 PM
Not the greatest but I think I got the hang of it. This is a tiki statue made out of a rail road tie. Nasty stuff, I won't be using those again.

Big Ken
05-31-2021, 08:30 PM
Nice

https://i.imgur.com/Go5tnas.jpg

Inor
05-31-2021, 09:29 PM
Nice carving but are you going to start eating people now?

RubberDuck
05-31-2021, 11:22 PM
I have a stump that I am going to attempt a Moral mushroom if it ends up looking like a ***** so be it it's art

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sasquatch
06-01-2021, 12:27 AM
I have a stump that I am going to attempt a Moral mushroom if it ends up looking like a ***** so be it it's art

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Hey give it a shot. I've always liked the bears and eagles I see some guys do and always wanted to try it. Had this hunk of would leftover and figured I see what I could do. I Tiki seemed like a good idea for a first try. Next I want to get some better wood and try an animal.

Nice carving but are you going to start eating people now?

I might if times get rough.

Here's one for ya:

Q: What did the cannibal say to the other cannibal when they ate a clown?

A: Did yours taste funny?

Inor
06-01-2021, 12:39 AM
Q: What did the cannibal say to the other cannibal when they ate a clown?

A: Did yours taste funny?

Q: Why did the leper leave the party?

A: People kept thinking the back of his head was the bean dip.

StratBastard
06-01-2021, 12:44 AM
Like the Tiki. Hope you switch to another medium: railroad ties are soaked in creosote, which has cyanide in it. You don't want to breath that dust buddy.

Sasquatch
06-01-2021, 01:20 AM
Like the Tiki. Hope you switch to another medium: railroad ties are soaked in creosote, which has cyanide in it. You don't want to breath that dust buddy.

Yep. Was wearing an N95 while I did it. Won't be using those anymore. Nasty stuff.

BucketBack
06-01-2021, 05:12 AM
It's not the dust that's so bad, it's the fumes from machining the RR Tie.A N95 helps a bit, a 3M respirator would be a better choice.

Slippy
06-01-2021, 05:34 AM
Not the greatest but I think I got the hang of it. This is a tiki statue made out of a rail road tie. Nasty stuff, I won't be using those again.

Sas my boy,

That may be the best chainsaw carved Tiki statue I've seen all day!

Went through a few Creosote Treatment plants in my day, I swear the smell sticks with you for weeks.

Please switch to untreated Cottonwood.

Thanks

shootbrownelk
06-01-2021, 06:51 AM
Those RR ties eat chains too. On the other hand, they don't rot and stand up to any weather. That is a nice TIKI statue Furry One.

Mad Trapper
06-01-2021, 10:23 AM
I agree that RR ties are nasty stuff to work with. Besides the dust splinters are nasty too. I put a ground tarp down to catch the dust/trimmings for those or PT wood.

That being said, nice work. It will outlast most of us.