PDA

View Full Version : Mylar bag abnormality

Coastie dad
06-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Ok, here we go:

Mylar bag with cornmeal mix. Oxy absorber. Opened the container to pull one out, and one of the bags was inflated like a balloon. No bugs in it. All similar bags were fine. No odor or discoloration.

Thoughts?

SOCOM42
06-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Ok, here we go:

Mylar bag with cornmeal mix. Oxy absorber. Opened the container to pull one out, and one of the bags was inflated like a balloon. No bugs in it. All similar bags were fine. No odor or discoloration.

Thoughts?

Pinhole leak in the bag.

if still sealed, put it in water like checking an inner tub for a leak, and go around the bag.

Coastie dad
06-07-2021, 04:16 PM
Interesting...thank you. First one I've seen that way.

Sparkyprep
06-07-2021, 04:16 PM
Dont eat it. Obviously, something in the bag was giving off a gas of some kind, thus implying some kind of decomposition. Just my opinion.

SOCOM42
06-07-2021, 04:34 PM
Dont eat it. Obviously, something in the bag was giving off a gas of some kind, thus implying some kind of decomposition. Just my opinion.

OH, YEAH, it is rotted. I have taken out MRE's (USGI issue, in guard service) that were bloated,

pinhole in the bag body.

It happens, sometimes when sealing a bag sometimes product dust gets where the seal is going and

compromises the integrity.

The water test will show up any hole or leak. could have also had a bad O2 eater?

Would be a micro hole to be sure.

About a month ago I saw a bloated jar at the wholesale club,

it was a jar of RAO'S SOUP, the bacteria pushed the loose cover up and expanded about 3x,

flowing over the side and on to the shelf.

Inor
06-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Since you are going to be throwing it away anyway, why not light a match and see if the gas is flammable. I don't know what to make of it if it is (or is not), but it could be a fun exercise.

inceptor
06-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Since you are going to be throwing it away anyway, why not light a match and see if the gas is flammable. I don't what to make of it if it is (or is not), but it could be a fun exercise.

Unless it ignites the contents also, then it could get really interesting.

Inor
06-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Unless it ignites the contents also, then it could get really interesting.

A really funny story sometimes requires a little personal risk. :biglaugh:

SOCOM42
06-07-2021, 06:24 PM
Since you are going to be throwing it away anyway, why not light a match and see if the gas is flammable. I don't know what to make of it if it is (or is not), but it could be a fun exercise.

It could possibly explode, much decaying biologicals generates methane gas.

Inor
06-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Good point! Make sure somebody is recording it!

Sparkyprep
06-07-2021, 06:38 PM

I was going to say, methane is highly flammable!

StratBastard
06-07-2021, 06:52 PM
What would his marker read? "Succumbed to cornmeal explosion 2021". They'll be scratching their heads in that graveyard for centuries.

Back Pack Hack
06-07-2021, 06:58 PM
Food can kill. And not just by eating it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

1skrewsloose
06-08-2021, 05:52 AM
Food can kill. And not just by eating it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

I not saying the article is false, just that I trust wikipedia about as far as I could throw them.

From their website: Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous volunteers who write without pay. Anyone with Internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles, except in limited cases where editing is restricted to prevent further disruption or vandalism.

Just to add, I think the same about Snopes.

Coastie dad
06-08-2021, 09:12 AM
Well, no odor, no critters, no discoloration. And no idea as to what occurred or why. All other bags in the container were fine. Now I'm going through all the stored flour type goods. So far, nothing. It's a mystery to me.

red442joe
06-08-2021, 09:17 AM
What would his marker read? "Succumbed to cornmeal explosion 2021". They'll be scratching their heads in that graveyard for centuries.

It was the 'rona.

Joe

Mad Trapper
06-08-2021, 01:56 PM
I not saying the article is false, just that I trust wikipedia about as far as I could throw them.

From their website: Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous volunteers who write without pay. Anyone with Internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles, except in limited cases where editing is restricted to prevent further disruption or vandalism.

Just to add, I think the same about Snopes.

We wouldn't let students use wiki as primary source or quotes from it. Peer reviewed journals or textbooks only.

Speaking of methane, I remember kids in grade school lighting their farts.

Mad Trapper
06-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Well, no odor, no critters, no discoloration. And no idea as to what occurred or why. All other bags in the container were fine. Now I'm going through all the stored flour type goods. So far, nothing. It's a mystery to me.

Fats in the meal might have started to go rancid from air exposure.

Back Pack Hack
06-08-2021, 03:28 PM
Possibly some sort of anaerobic organism.

doahead
05-24-2022, 09:42 AM
I won’t recommend eating it either. There is most probably a pinhole leak somewhere and it let the O2 in which led to the bag inflating like a balloon, as you mentioned. Another factor could be - bad sealing. When you seal the bag, it’s recommended to make sure the bag lips are dry-cleaned to avoid any food rest that could prevent proper sealing. I’ve been using my Mylar Foil Bags and O2 absorbers (https://72hours.ca/collections/mylar-bag-pouches) and never encountered any issues so far. Since you mentioned that there was no odor or discoloration, it still might not be rotten, I would suggest throwing it away for your safety.

hawgrider
05-24-2022, 10:22 AM
won’t recommend eating it either.

Howdy welcome to OTP glad to see you posting. Grab a chair and sit a spell.

SOCOM42
05-24-2022, 11:43 AM
I always add a second seal to the closed end and double seal the other end.

Much of my stores are in 5 gallon pails filled with either nitrogen or CO2.

Ricekila
05-24-2022, 12:14 PM
A really funny story sometimes requires a little personal risk. :biglaugh:

"Hold my beer" --