PDA

View Full Version : Just look at Rome.

Any Beastie
06-21-2021, 07:43 AM
History repeats itself. Yeah, no shit.

Rome fell from a perfect storm of its own making. It was GOAT empire of the world in its golden age.
Rome at its best had great trade, and most of the people produced. It had a decent governing system and decent politicians for the most part. The army was strong, the plebians had decent QOL. And on and on it goes....

THEN It's over expansion of borders destabilized it, made it so large they couldn't communicate. The foreigners pouring in created crime and a larger than life population. They began to be so rich that they entertained themselves with things like gladiator games, and prostitution and child trafficking was big. It was a steady demoralization. The government steadily corrupted itself and political agendas and games were pushed harder and harder, knocking horns and creating chaos. Political assassinations were rampant. The middle class plebian was slowly destroyed. Christians were persecuted on and off. There were MANY wars outside the borders and inside the borders. Barbarians pouring in. The empire was divided into two. The military dissolved. I'm no history scholar or shit, I'm probably missing something, but this looks a whole damn lot like America.

Piratesailor
06-21-2021, 08:38 AM
So history never repeats exactly but there are strong echoes of the past. Rome is one, the 1930’s is another as is the 1860’s.

But then again, Democrats communists don’t read or understand history…..

Innkeeper
06-21-2021, 09:53 AM
History repeats itself. Yeah, no shit.

Rome fell from a perfect storm of its own making. It was GOAT empire of the world in its golden age.
Rome at its best had great trade, and most of the people produced. It had a decent governing system and decent politicians for the most part. The army was strong, the plebians had decent QOL. And on and on it goes....

THEN It's over expansion of borders destabilized it, made it so large they couldn't communicate. The foreigners pouring in created crime and a larger than life population. They began to be so rich that they entertained themselves with things like gladiator games, and prostitution and child trafficking was big. It was a steady demoralization. The government steadily corrupted itself and political agendas and games were pushed harder and harder, knocking horns and creating chaos. Political assassinations were rampant. The middle class plebian was slowly destroyed. Christians were persecuted on and off. There were MANY wars outside the borders and inside the borders. Barbarians pouring in. The empire was divided into two. The military dissolved. I'm no history scholar or shit, I'm probably missing something, but this looks a whole damn lot like America.I have used Rome as an example of our decline, sports and reality T.V. are the modern day bread and circuses. When society thinks they should spend their day doing nothing but travel and fun, and not produce anything it is a bad sign. But that is all you see in commercials go here, stay here, enjoy having fun all the time, see new things it is your right.
Their army existed to the end but was co-opted by political power grabs, and non-citizens who while good warriors had no investment in Rome other than the money.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

red442joe
06-21-2021, 10:41 AM
^^^Odumbo phone and the NFL....bread and circuses.

Joe

Sparkyprep
06-21-2021, 03:02 PM
Many years ago, I made this statement. All great civilizations fall. Human nature is unavoidable. The United States will, too. It is a matter of when, not if.

bigwheel
06-21-2021, 03:10 PM
Highly similar. Always heard paying the Centurions to keep them safe busted the budget.

Innkeeper
06-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Highly similar. Always heard paying the Centurions to keep them safe busted the budget.The Centurions were the officers......it was paying for all the free stuff that busted them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk