PDA

View Full Version : Paper Wasps And LPG Pigs

BucketBack
07-14-2021, 07:10 AM
I found a small nest of paper wasps, maybe about 60 of them just relaxing waiting for the sun to come up.

So I went for some brake cleaner, open up the cover, and out they came for me. I haven't run so fast in a long long time.

I never check the propane level in the heat of the day just for this reason, they were still semi dormant from the cool night temps.

I just went back out, and only about 5 were in the nest, so there are some paper wasps out on the prowl.

I spayed a can of brake clean into the 2 nests and ran back inside.

They look like they're are as mad as hornets.

Mad Trapper
07-14-2021, 07:24 AM
Nighttime. Spray entrance with permethrin, all dead next day.

BucketBack
07-14-2021, 07:38 AM
They dead now, nests are removed, now I can call FerretGas for a fill up. I have 47% in tank

LivoniaDan
07-14-2021, 07:39 AM
WD40 or 556 work almost instantly too.
Leaves a residue so they don't return.
and .... YEP.... the ones on the outskirts get MAD

Brake Cleaner has a strong propellent stream for longer distances.

Mad Trapper
07-14-2021, 07:51 AM
WD40 or 556 work almost instantly too.
Leaves a residue so they don't return.
and .... YEP.... the ones on the outskirts get MAD

Brake Cleaner has a strong propellent stream for longer distances.

You can mix up as much as you need., quart makes 5-gal Put it in a pump sprayer. Ground nests saturate a clump of grass above the hole. Works on all insects, fleas, roaches, flies................

Use on clothes for ticks too, let it dry before wearing

Kusa
07-14-2021, 04:58 PM
I almost got killed checking my mail. Turns out that the wasps made a nest in the paper box section. I phucked them up.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210714/44d7e88c5a44ecae839d7af168a74ba1.jpg

Prepared One
07-15-2021, 06:01 AM
I really, really hate wasps and hornets. I spray constantly for them and kill them on sight. I see no reason for them to be on the planet.

Mad Trapper
07-15-2021, 06:47 AM
I worked some summers as a painter doing exterior work. Trying to get to the bottom of a long extension ladder ASAP without falling is a useful skill.

Lots of times you couldn't see the nests as they found a gap or crack and were under the boards. I broke my wrist one time when I missed a ladder rung almost at the bottom, and broke my fall with my arm. Another time they started to stream out of a gap and I slobbered as much paint as I could into the gap sealing them inside. What really pissed the little SOBs off was when you went up to scrape and they thought you were trying to break into their nest. I always tried to scout for any visible nests and look for things flying in and out of the gaps.

I also spray any nests I find on the property, only ones I have mercy on are honey and bumble bees. It helps to have a good pump sprayer so you don't need to get close and/or spray at night when they are a little stupored and all inside the nests.

Working fields with tractors you'd also run into nests. I've seen big paper wasp nests in overgrown fields I was mowing, or stirred up some angry ones in ground nests. The ground nests usually didn't get swarming until your next pass around the field, so you had to be on the lookout for those. Same thing happens when you you go over a ground nest mowing the lawn.

Dwight55
07-15-2021, 07:02 AM
.......Working fields with tractors you'd also run into nests. I've seen big paper wasp nests in overgrown fields I was mowing, or stirred up some angry ones in ground nests. The ground nests usually didn't get swarming until your next pass around the field, so you had to be on the lookout for those. Same thing happens when you you go over a ground nest mowing the lawn.

A friend of mine assured me that a John Deere "B" in road gear with the field mower turned off . . . still will not outrun yellow jackets if they want to catch you and sting you right between the shoulder blades.

May God bless,
Dwight

MountainGirl
07-15-2021, 07:49 AM
Please be careful.

BucketBack
07-15-2021, 09:07 AM
A friend and I didn't see any tree rats in early december, it was cold and a foot of snow on the ground.

We both had Browning A Bolt 22 magnums with scopes. We got the bright idea to shoot the Paper wasp nest down.

Them SOB's chased us for a hundred or so yards before they fell to earth, probably F/M Paper Trash.

SOCOM42
07-15-2021, 09:08 AM
What I have used on the white faced tree builders and

the ground mining yellow jackets is a propane fired roofing tar Melter.

The thing has a 3 foot long flame, burns the wings right off them in an instant.

Lights up the white faced nest like a gas soaked cotton ball.

I burn off the yellow jackets outside and heat up the sand at the entrance,

then pour gasoline down the hole and around then light.

After a day I turn the ground over where the nest was.

I wear a face mask, hood, and heavy jacket, never been stung.

The black ones usually have 3-5 in a nest, use hornet spray on them,

sometimes I use a Bernzomatic on the small ones.

SOCOM42
07-15-2021, 09:29 AM
I almost got killed checking my mail. Turns out that the wasps made a nest in the paper box section. I phucked them up.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210714/44d7e88c5a44ecae839d7af168a74ba1.jpg

An early 50s freezer compartment of a fridge?

Think about the mailman opening that up with the ba$tards alive in there.

Mad Trapper
07-15-2021, 09:57 AM
A friend of mine assured me that a John Deere "B" in road gear with the field mower turned off . . . still will not outrun yellow jackets if they want to catch you and sting you right between the shoulder blades.

May God bless,
Dwight

I know they are faster than my old Ford too!

red442joe
07-15-2021, 03:36 PM
Sorry this thread came up MG.

Joe

MountainGirl
07-15-2021, 04:06 PM
Sorry this thread came up MG.

Joe

Thanks Joe ((hugs)), and I'm not sorry at all. It's okay! Any topics and ideas about keeping safe should never be held back. AND I'm especially enjoying the posts about how y'all are torturing and killing those rotten mother fukin rat bastard satan spawned chunks of evil puke.
So... carry on. :)

Kusa
07-15-2021, 04:23 PM
An early 50s freezer compartment of a fridge?

Think about the mailman opening that up with the ba$tards alive in there.

I see the resemblance but it’s just a junky old mailbox with a spot for a paper.

I don’t know if the mailman noticed them but they almost got in my car when I checked the mail. They actually followed me down the driveway looking for some action.

I killed them sumb!tches with a foaming wasp spray. I came back later and noticed that even the larvae fell out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210715/7ca932e9a82c765db46a3b8ed0e7ccfd.jpg

Slippy
07-15-2021, 05:54 PM
I see the resemblance but it’s just a junky old mailbox with a spot for a paper.

I don’t know if the mailman noticed them but they almost got in my car when I checked the mail. They actually followed me down the driveway looking for some action.

I killed them sumb!tches with a foaming wasp spray. I came back later and noticed that even the larvae fell out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210715/7ca932e9a82c765db46a3b8ed0e7ccfd.jpg
KUSA,

Nice place! I must admit I have not seen a mailbox such as that thing.

Y'all be safe, the little flying bastards keep coming back year after year and like Piratesailor says, I see no need for them on the face of God's Green Earth!

Carry on...

BucketBack
07-16-2021, 06:31 AM
I started this thread because these sumbitches are everywhere and need to be taken cautiously. The most common adverse reaction I have after being stung, is kill them all.

I had to take my buddy to the ER when he got stung picking up firewood by what we called yellow jackets but aren't.

I bought 2 wasp sprays yesterday at wallyworld, and I just did a double barrel spray again, w/o opening the cover.