PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna weed eater review

Inor
07-29-2021, 11:18 PM
My old weed eater is over 20 years old. When I bought it, we were living in suburbia and I just needed something that could do basic trimming when I mowed the grass. For that, it worked fine but it just plain wore out. That and the fact that my weeds now are quite a bit tougher than at our MN house, I decided to get a bright shiny new weed eater.

After doing a fair bit of research, I settled on a Husqvarna model 128LR due to the reviews, both on Amazon and from reading several lawn care related sites.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Straight-Shaft-String-Trimmer/dp/B004Q0HUYO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2TE8HEZ6DL11A&dchild=1&keywords=husqvarna%2B128ld%2Btrimmer&qid=1627617069&sprefix=Husqvarna%2B128ld%2Btrimmer%2Caps%2C316&sr=8-3&th=1

I fired it up today for the first time and my initial impression was... underwhelmed. It works. It does the job as advertised, more or less.

Positive: I really like the way they designed the spool for the line. A couple times I broke one of the lines off short and it went inside the trimmer head, so I had to take it apart to get the line back out again. It required no tools and was a quick couple minute fix with no problems at all putting it back together. My old Ryobi, fixing the line was 1/2 hour job. This one was awesome.

Negative: It is underpowered. Yes, it will cut the weeds down, but you have to go REALLY slow if they are at all dense. Several times, I had to restart it because the engine died because of the weeds. Supposedly, this unit is "professional grade", but...

If I were using it for just trimming grass around the yard after mowing, it would be "the shit". But trying to use it for hacking down desert weeds around the fruit trees and gardens was disappointing. Admittedly, I did let the weeds get pretty overgrown so that might have something to do with it. Maybe if I do not let the weeds get quite as bad as they were this time, it would work better. But based on the reviews, I expected quite a bit more power than it has.

In the end, I rate it at about 3 out of 5 stars.

Big Ken
07-30-2021, 02:02 AM
I've gotten away from the gas trimmers, for the last 6 years or so I've been using rechargeable, at first I bought Black & Decker brand which worked well but only lasted about three years, I was up late one night and of course a infomercial came on about the Worx brand, I researched it and ended up buying one, there are discount coupon codes on the internet and I found a 10% off with free shipping, my yard is about 1 acre and nothing over whelming, I did upgrade to the bigger battery 4.0 AH and it came with two, they also offer free spools of string for life, I've refilled and they send you 5 spools max per order and do charge for shipping, it was $8, I've owned one now for about 3 years and I'm very happy with it and I can do my whole yard on one charge.

This is the one I purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_l6RBWvxKI

Mad Trapper
07-30-2021, 05:34 AM
I've had a Huskyvarmint 326L for > 20 years now, still going strong. It takes down small saplings ~1/2" with ease. I'd have got the current version of that than a 128

Slippy
07-30-2021, 06:27 AM
Excellent review INor!

Did you consider a battery powered string trimmer?

Inor
07-30-2021, 08:50 AM
Excellent review INor!

I did. That is actually what I was initially shopping for. But I do have quite a bit of trimming and if the reviews on the battery life were correct, it would have meant that I would have had to charge it about 3 times just to get through the yard.

Husqvarna does make a version with a 4 cycle engine as well. That was going to be my second choice, but the reviews on it were kind of sketchy so I went with this one. Like I said, it works, but it is not as powerful as I expected given what folks were saying about it. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Maybe I need to fiddle with the carb a bit?

Prepared One
07-30-2021, 10:52 AM
I did. That is actually what I was initially shopping for. But I do have quite a bit of trimming and if the reviews on the battery life were correct, it would have meant that I would have had to charge it about 3 times just to get through the yard.

Husqvarna does make a version with a 4 cycle engine as well. That was going to be my second choice, but the reviews on it were kind of sketchy so I went with this one. Like I said, it works, but it is not as powerful as I expected given what folks were saying about it. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Maybe I need to fiddle with the carb a bit?

I once trimmed my whole yard while cussing and complaining it wasn't running right. No power! Got back in the garage cussing and bitching, my wife wondering what I am bitching about, damned brand new weed wacker won't run. I was thinking then I would chunk the damn thing down the driveway but then got to taking a closer look at it and noticed I still had the choke engaged. I looked around to make sure she wasn't watching, flipped the choke off, pulled the handle and she fired right up. When I walked back in the house she asked if I got it running. I said shut up woman, of course I got it running, I am a genius. :bigthumbup:

Mad Trapper
07-30-2021, 11:23 AM
Excellent review INor!

@Slippy I see a Prius in your future.

A good session @Mad Trapper land with the trimmer uses ~1-gal of mix

I'd avoid 4-mix. Go Echo 2-stroke

Trimmer is my only Husqy, but ~10 functional chain saws (40-95cc), Stihls and old Homies.

How many batts = 1-gal?

BucketBack
07-30-2021, 11:51 AM
I use a 20 year old Sears Crapsman Electric trimmer. Sometimes, I still have to cut the grass.

Anyway, the electric starts up. I can cover my whole yard with a few heavy shore power cords. No tools needed to change the line, and about 5 minutes to reload it.

Slippy
07-30-2021, 03:22 PM
@Slippy I see a Prius in your future.

A good session @Mad Trapper land with the trimmer uses ~1-gal of mix

I'd avoid 4-mix. Go Echo 2-stroke

Trimmer is my only Husqy, but ~10 functional chain saws (40-95cc), Stihls and old Homies.

Slippy is still a member of the Stihl Master Race Club! String Trimmer, Edger and Chainsaw

But I'm adding to the battery power stuff too! Oregon Battery Pole Saw, EGO Battery Lawnmower and Ryobi Battery Small Chainsaw!

Wake me up when they make a Super Duty3/4 Ton Electric or a Battery Powered 55 horsepower Tractor!

Oh and 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 is still a beast! Ethanol Free Gas for over 10 years and running strong!

stevekozak
07-30-2021, 09:29 PM
Stihl makes the best trimmer, in my book. Got one a few years back and it has never missed lick.

Mad Trapper
07-30-2021, 10:33 PM
Stihl makes the best trimmer, in my book. Got one a few years back and it has never missed lick.

The Husqy I got was a gift from my dear mother, she did good. Besides lots of string and mix, just clean AF and the muffler outlet screen.

Mad Trapper
07-30-2021, 10:51 PM
Slippy is still a member of the Stihl Master Race Club! String Trimmer, Edger and Chainsaw

But I'm adding to the battery power stuff too! Oregon Battery Pole Saw, EGO Battery Lawnmower and Ryobi Battery Small Chainsaw!

Wake me up when they make a Super Duty3/4 Ton Electric or a Battery Powered 55 horsepower Tractor!

Oh and 2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650 is still a beast! Ethanol Free Gas for over 10 years and running strong!

Only Stihls I have are nice old ones. Only 1 new a 066, rest are rebuilt by me, with OEM Still parts, no Chi- Com crap: little one?, 026 X2, 028S, 036 X2, 038M X 3, 056M X2

Mad Trapper
07-30-2021, 11:21 PM

Only Stihls I have are nice old ones. Only 1 new a 066, rest are rebuilt by me, with OEM Still parts, no Chi- Com crap: little one?, 026 X2, 028S, 036 X2, 038M X 3, 056M X2

In think the little Stihl is a 020 TH

Slippy
07-31-2021, 06:32 AM
Woke up, drank a cup of coffee and 4 Advil and decided to do some work early before it got hot.

Walked outside and immediately started to sweat like a whore in church. It is already a sauna bath at 6:00 am!

Changed my mind. The weeds and grass can grow all they want today.

Not. Gonna. Be. Miserable. Today!:thumb:

Mad Trapper
07-31-2021, 08:43 AM
Woke up, drank a cup of coffee and 4 Advil and decided to do some work early before it got hot.

Walked outside and immediately started to sweat like a whore in church. It is already a sauna bath at 6:00 am!

Changed my mind. The weeds and grass can grow all they want today.

Not. Gonna. Be. Miserable. Today!:thumb:

Slippy we got lucky, fall like weather, 57 oF now, high 67, tonight 49.

Innkeeper
07-31-2021, 09:16 AM
Slippy we got lucky, fall like weather, 57 oF now, high 67, tonight 49.Same here been upper 50's at night perfect sleeping weather days have been low 70's with a cool breeze great for outside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dwight55
07-31-2021, 10:31 AM
My yard work is basically done by 3 tools . . .

Bolens husky weed eater . . . an A M Leonard "stirrup" hoe . . . and my Kubota 60 inch diesal zero turn.

The mower you know about . . .

The weed eater came with string . . . I removed it and put on a 3 bladed steel whacker . . . that doubles as a saw when I have to cut down a 1/2 to 3/4 inch grape vine . . . it works as a gas powered hoe for weeding the garden, digs them weeds out like nobody's business . . . and also takes care of all the trimming I need around the house and garage.

The "stirrup hoe" is a recent addition to the tools . . . and I wish I had had this 25 years ago. I would maybe have worn it out . . . we have a crabgrass here that grows flat to the ground . . . and a regular hoe will wear you out digging it up. This blade runs right under it . . . cuts it off or pulls it out of the ground . . . and it is done. Horse weeds 3 ft tall fall victim to it as well.

May God bless,
Dwight

bigwheel
07-31-2021, 03:00 PM
I've gotten away from the gas trimmers, for the last 6 years or so I've been using rechargeable, at first I bought Black & Decker brand which worked well but only lasted about three years, I was up late one night and of course a infomercial came on about the Worx brand, I researched it and ended up buying one, there are discount coupon codes on the internet and I found a 10% off with free shipping, my yard is about 1 acre and nothing over whelming, I did upgrade to the bigger battery 4.0 AH and it came with two, they also offer free spools of string for life, I've refilled and they send you 5 spools max per order and do charge for shipping, it was $8, I've owned one now for about 3 years and I'm very happy with it and I can do my whole yard on one charge.

This is the one I purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_l6RBWvxKI
Same here on the rechargeable. Acquired an EGo brand that works great. About the 2nd full year with it. Not highly ergonomically user friendly. Gets me down in the back to use it. The thing is too back heavy. They need to mount the battery up near the far end. I gave a perfectly good high dollar gas model to the neighbor..but he never uses it

Slippy
07-31-2021, 03:44 PM
People axe me all the time;

"Hey Slip! What do you like best about the EGO Battery Powered Lawn Mower?"

"After all these years of marriage and never mowing, Mrs Slippy likes the battery powered mower so much she finally mows the lawn! Old gal has a Vhagina AND mows the lawn!"

Win-Win what I say!"

Mad Trapper
07-31-2021, 04:28 PM
You coudn't trim here with an electric with a dozen batts

I use 1-gal mix

Dwight55
07-31-2021, 05:20 PM
People axe me all the time;

"Hey Slip! What do you like best about the EGO Battery Powered Lawn Mower?"

"After all these years of marriage and never mowing, Mrs Slippy likes the battery powered mower so much she finally mows the lawn! Old gal has a Vhagina AND mows the lawn!"

Win-Win what I say!"

If that's like most lawns I know that are women mowed . . . I could probably do it in twenty minutes with a set of hand clippers.

Shame on you Slippy . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Slippy
07-31-2021, 10:06 PM
If that's like most lawns I know that are women mowed . . . I could probably do it in twenty minutes with a set of hand clippers.

Shame on you Slippy . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

A little back story for you Pastor Dwight...

When we first got married, we bought our first home and I had to work out of town for 3 weeks or so. Mrs S promised me she could handle the yard work and I left for my extended stay.

3 weeks later I came home to find the grass about 2 feet high and the lawn mower stuck in the front yard where she had mowed maybe 2 rows. We had a laugh about that but I never let her forget it. Fast forward to about 2 years ago and my 20 year old Craftsmen mower dies.

We bought the battery powered EGO mower because Mrs S was adament that she would mow! And she has!

(PS we have a very small yard of grass around our home. About 4 pallets of grass if memory serves! Its the rest of the 30 acres that I have to keep mowed! HA!)

Forgive me Father!?!:)

Inor
07-31-2021, 10:38 PM
A little back story for you Pastor Dwight...

When we first got married, we bought our first home and I had to work out of town for 3 weeks or so. Mrs S promised me she could handle the yard work and I left for my extended stay.

3 weeks later I came home to find the grass about 2 feet high and the lawn mower stuck in the front yard where she had mowed maybe 2 rows. We had a laugh about that but I never let her forget it. Fast forward to about 2 years ago and my 20 year old Craftsmen mower dies.

We bought the battery powered EGO mower because Mrs S was adament that she would mow! And she has!

(PS we have a very small yard of grass around our home. About 4 pallets of grass if memory serves! Its the rest of the 30 acres that I have to keep mowed! HA!)

Forgive me Father!?!:)

Hilarious! That is too damn funny!!!

The first summer Mrs Inor and I were married and bought our first house, we were broke. I mean, we were flat ass, not a nickel between us, broke. I could not afford a lawn mower so a friend gave me an old beat up Toro mower. The thing was about 30 years old and had lived a very hard life. The engine burned more oil than gas and the self-propelled had not worked for over a decade by the time we got it. But it cut so I was thankful.

About the second week I was using it, both back wheels split apart. They were just hard rubber and the rubber just fell off when I was pushing it. I did have a couple tubes of construction adhesive so I made a mold out of masking tape and remade both back wheels out of construction adhesive. That worked great for about two months (except for the fact the wheels were now more square than they were round so the yard looked like I had chewed it down instead of mowing it).

About a month before I was going to put the mower away for the season I was out mowing (the front yard of course), and the muffler blew up. When I say it "blew up" that is somewhat figurative. It basically disintegrated. The muffler was under the mower deck, so when it fell apart, the pieces hit the blade and the blade proceeded to shoot them through BOTH of the front windows of my nice new house (at least new to us). Then the engine shot fire out the now empty exhaust hole and started my front lawn on fire! I got the fire out before it burned the house but the mower wasn't so lucky. It completely melted all the wheels (including the pair I worked so hard to repair)!

Fortunately, by the next spring I had saved up enough money to be able to buy my first new mower.

Dwight55
07-31-2021, 11:00 PM

The first summer Mrs Inor and I were married and bought our first house, we were broke. I mean, we were flat ass, not a nickel between us, broke. I could not afford a lawn mower so a friend gave me an old beat up Toro mower. The thing was about 30 years old and had lived a very hard life. The engine burned more oil than gas and the self-propelled had not worked for over a decade by the time we got it. But it cut so I was thankful.

About the second week I was using it, both back wheels split apart. They were just hard rubber and the rubber just fell off when I was pushing it. I did have a couple tubes of construction adhesive so I made a mold out of masking tape and remade both back wheels out of construction adhesive. That worked great for about two months (except for the fact the wheels were now more square than they were round so the yard looked like I had chewed it down instead of mowing it).

About a month before I was going to put the mower away for the season I was out mowing (the front yard of course), and the muffler blew up. When I say it "blew up" that is somewhat figurative. It basically disintegrated. The muffler was under the mower deck, so when it fell apart, the pieces hit the blade and the blade proceeded to shoot them through BOTH of the front windows of my nice new house (at least new to us). Then the engine shot fire out the now empty exhaust hole and started my front lawn on fire! I got the fire out before it burned the house but the mower wasn't so lucky. It completely melted all the wheels (including the pair I worked so hard to repair)!

Fortunately, by the next spring I had saved up enough money to be able to buy my first new mower.

Excuse me . . . but that is hilarious . . .

Too late to laugh out loud here . . . but will tomorrow . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

stevekozak
08-01-2021, 03:44 AM

Sometimes I think all couples should be broke-ass poor for a couple years after getting married. I think it bonds people to have to come though hard times together as a team. Sometimes I think both oxen need to feel the full weight of the yoke equally so they understand what marriage is.

bigwheel
08-01-2021, 04:21 PM
you got me convinced on the ego mower for a Christmas gift for the little bride. She promised me who could use my high dollar self propelled Honda but then decided its too heavy to pull back..dang thing needs a reverse gear. I have their weed eater and it works good just not very ergonomically designed for old fat guys. Can give a back ache that can cost a trip to the massage parlor. If she gripes about the battery powered mower being too heavy she might just wear it. A person never knows sometimes.

Sparkyprep
08-01-2021, 05:46 PM
I try to avoid all the "Home Depot" stuff. I stick with Stihl for my outdoor lawn tools. Chainsaw, weedeater, etc.

bigwheel
08-01-2021, 07:34 PM
What a story. Thanks for sharing. Not sure any lawn mower story could top that.